The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[discussion]Bring Back Mike Santorelli?

I have an irrational hate for the guy, so you can probably guess my opinion.

If we're going to suck next year sure why not, I can take a year of Santorelli if Chychrun is the reward...

If we do well I'm not looking forward to what this team has to offer ...

I loved Santo as a player here.

Hard on the puck. Relentless for a small to mid size guy. On the boards and everywhere else. Went to the net. Skated his arse off.

Be pretty easy to bring him back IMO.

See, guys with these kinds of qualifiers aren't the types that successful teams should look to as mainstays. Case in point, Weber is skilled for a smaller, bottom pairing guy. Matthias has offensive instincts for a guy with size, speed and shot but only scores goals at a top-liner's level and doesn't use his size. Lesson here, if we want to build an upper-end team we should look at adding upper-end players, and also having guys with size, speed and intensity to battle in the playoffs is important. (Of course I'm not saying there's such a thing as perfect players, but if the team could spend more like they did last season to legitimately address needs, then they should be able to follow through on their "stay competitive while retooling" mantra).

If the team moves Vey I'd consider adding Santo back, otherwise they're somewhat redundant.

We have Bonino, who is a bargain at his 1.9 cap hit, and Horvat.

I was a huge supporter of Mike while he was here but you have to understand we have to get younger and seeing how our best prospects are forwards you can expect that we will be adding youth into our forward group probably each year.

Baertschi for example will be on our next year.

Love Santo! He is too small in the West at centre. I'd move him to wing to replace Higgins. Like I've said before I'd love to see the Canucks sign Martin Hanzel for 3rd line centre duties. He is good buddies with Vrbata and if he is on our team hopefully he won't injure half our players in one game.

D. Sedin H. Sedin Vrbata

Baertschi Horvat Burr

Hansen Hanzel Santo

Virtanen Richardson Dorsett

Vey

Note: Bonino and Higgins are traded in the summer for draft picks

our gm doesnt seem like the type to change his mind, even when presented with new information.

Not sure where you get that from. The one thing I've noticed with Benning is his flexibility and willingness to look at everything without involving his ego, something that his predecessor definitely had a problem with.

Not saying he will go get Santorelli in the off season, but I have no question that JB will happily trade anyone he acquired last summer if it makes sense. I would say that includes Bonino and Miller. Miller may be necessary based on cap space.

Based on Gary's statement a few nights ago, expect a cap around 71 million, which means we have about 5.2 million space and 17 guys signed. Based on that alone, there will be changes.

I'm normally not someone to want to make changes for the sake of making changes or to go back in time, but imo there is reason to consider Santorelli as an option at C this season if he'll sign cheaply enough.

Santorelli started 2013-14 off like gangbusters for the Canucks, then got hurt.

Santorelli started the 2014-15 season like gangbusters for the Leafs, then faded, was traded to the Preds and did little.

I think he'll make less this coming year than the $1 million he signed for a year ago.

Meanwhile, at center the Canucks have:

Henrik

Bonino

Horvat

Richardson is an UFA

Vey is an RFA

Matthias is an UFA who almost certainly will not be extended

Gaunce playing LW in Utica

Cassels, McCann ... ??

Circumstances have changed in the past year. Santorelli will probably make less this coming season than he made this past one. Vey has yet to show he can handle full time duties as an NHL center and imo at least at this stage can be pencilled in as someone who will be competing for 4C this coming season but may be a depth forward. Matthias is almost certain to be gone. Richardson is coming off injury and may or may not be back.

Unless one assumes Cassels, McCann or Gaunce is ready to play 4C in the NHL the Canucks could have a shortage at center in 2015-16. They only have three who it can be comfortably said can play in the NHL-Henrik, Bonino and Bo.

Matthias will be gone. Vey, Cassels etc are as yet not proven able to play a regular center shift in the NHL.

Unless one counts on one of the kids blossoming into an NHL center right away, there is a strong case for re-signing Richardson or someone like Santo to a reasonably cheap one year contract with the intention that the player signed be or at least compete for the remaining center spot.

Archived