To PIT -

Bieksa

Higgins

Jensen

2016 3rd

To Van -

Pouliot

Lapierre

Still don't think Pittsburgh takes it as Pouliot is there best prospect arguably. They have proven that they are a contending team year after year, and will probably go for another shot at this year with Crosby and Malkin still there. Lapierre gives us depth incase we lose Richardson and Cassels isn't ready (considering Gaunce has been developing as a LW). Let me know what you think, can see both sides of the argument as we could be over extending with our regulars or undervaluing what Pouliot is to Pitts.

To PIT -

Bieksa

Higgins

Jensen

2016 3rd

To Van -

Pouliot

Lapierre

Still don't think Pittsburgh takes it as Pouliot is there best prospect arguably. They have proven that they are a contending team year after year, and will probably go for another shot at this year with Crosby and Malkin still there. Lapierre gives us depth incase we lose Richardson and Cassels isn't ready (considering Gaunce has been developing as a LW). Let me know what you think, can see both sides of the argument as we could be over extending with our regulars or undervaluing what Pouliot is to Pitts.

Pittsburgh turns it down easily. Lapierre and Higgens are s wash. Not even sure why you included them. So it's essentially s high end prospect on an entry level deal for 1 season of Bieksa (which honestly is a downgrade for Pittsburgh) a forward prospect that is by all reports very close to being a total bust, and a third.

Would you trade Horvat for a package like that? Add in the fact that they have cap issues and the deal makes even less sense

Why would you post a proposal even if you think it wouldn't work? ( You're right btw )

Because this is a "proposal" section and I like to hear some feedback from people, I understand if you don't like it. A little constructive criticism would be appreciated, instead of a pointless post.

Pittsburgh turns it down easily. Lapierre and Higgens are s wash. Not even sure why you included them. So it's essentially s high end prospect on an entry level deal for 1 season of Bieksa (which honestly is a downgrade for Pittsburgh) a forward prospect that is by all reports very close to being a total bust, and a third.

Would you trade Horvat for a package like that? Add in the fact that they have cap issues and the deal makes even less sense

Yeah I hear ya, just thought maybe they would be keen to take it in an effort for a run. I disagree in Higgins being a wash, as he can still kill penalties and can produce as a 3rd liner, especially on a team like the penguins. Cheers for the response

I'd suggest something around

Vrbata for Pouliot, Beau Bennett, 2nd (similar to Jensen, skilled, smallish, underutilized winger playing 3rd/ 4th line minutes).

If Trader Jim wants to move Radim, at least he'd recoup some value with a promising Top-4 D-man, a forward who, like Sven, could still blossomg given a bigger role but who may not get a chance in the Pens' top 6, and a high pick (debating 1st or 2nd). The Pens can use more scoring help up front given how they just fell flat in the 1st round.

Also thinking that it'd be possible to work Juice into a deal with them, since their D-group looks pretty weak moving forward (Martin and Ehrhoff are expected to walk this off-season):

http://www.pensburgh.com/2015/5/25/8656897/pittsburgh-penguins-free-agents-rumors-mike-green
Under "best case scenarios" I see 3 good top-4 options (Letang, Maatta, Pouliot) and the rest of the 5 (Cole, Scuderi, Lovejoy, Dumoulin, Harrington) looking best served for 3rd pair options.

If they don't want to pay too much (maybe dump for dump we can get Scuderi and a 2nd?) we can swap Juice away and work in Adam or Frankie.

To PIT -

Bieksa

Higgins

Jensen

2016 3rd

To Van -

Pouliot

Lapierre

I'd do it if that 2016 3rd turns into a 4th...

Pouliot's going to take a LOT to get. With Ehrhoff probably moving on, he slips right in as a replacement, and they've got to be thinking "mini-rebuild on the fly" at this point now.

I think we'd have to offer a 1st round pick, B-grade prospect and top-6 forward or top-4 defenceman to get him unfortunately.

Something like this:

TO PIT: 1st + Corrado + Vbrata

TO VAN: Pouliot

I'd do that in a heart beat.

To PIT -

Bieksa

Higgins

Jensen

2016 3rd

To Van -

Pouliot

Lapierre

Still don't think Pittsburgh takes it as Pouliot is there best prospect arguably. ....

I think you're right. Pittsburgh doesn't take it.

1. After 2-3 years this deal works out to Pouliot for Jensen and a 3rd, plust a little bit of value in players who will be marginal by that time. As you mention, Pouliot is one of their best prospects. They'll want a lot more for him.

2. While not often mentioned as one of the teams with a cap problem, the Penguins have $59.7 million committed for only 13 roster players, which if the cap goes to $71 million leaves them about $11.3 million to sign 10 players to get to a 23 man roster.

Taking on Higgins and Bieksa bumps them to $66.7 million for 15 roster players, leaving them $4.3 million to sign another 8 players.

The point is that this deal would put the Penguins in Cap Hell.

3. If the Canucks want Lapierre, why not just wait until July and sign him as an UFA?

Looking at it the other way, why give any asset for an unsigned UFA who may just sign elsewhere?

Archived