The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[speculation] Ehrhoff moving on from Pittsburgh

Go look at how much he signed for last year... he could have gotten several times that amount with a longer term.

He clearly has other priorities at this point now that he has gotten that one big contract every player hopes to get in their career. I am not saying he wants to come to Vancouver, but I it seems lat this point in his career he is more likely to be concerned about a shot at winning, quality of life, and getting to play a meaningful role on a team.

Of course we wouldn't sign him to a full market value contract, but being open to him signing here is definitely worth considering. The 2-3 year maximum term it would take gives us some coverage until some younger guys we draft and/or acquire can step up.

Also recall that his agent said that the Canucks reached out last year to kick the tires.

He doesn't have to be the Erhoff of a few years ago to make us better than having Weber.

You and I have been agreeing a lot lately... Good post and pretty bang on, on all counts IMO.

I watched a few Pitt games last year, just to see how they utilized him, as I expected him to have a good year, but didn't see him on 1st unit pp one time. After watching Pitt play a number of times, I remember thinking, why did they sign him.

I read he would be interested in re-signing here. I loved Ehrhoff and was very unhappy that he left out of greed. But I think the last few years truly opened his eyes. If we drop Bieksa, Ehr would be a significant upgrade beside Hamhuis as well as on the PP. Ours has been on life support ever since he left.

Sign him for 2 years @ 3.25mill and trade Bieksa for picks.

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - Ehrhoff

Sbisa - Clendending

Stanton - Corrado

Weber

In a couple of years guys like Miller, Lack and Vrbata will be gone. With Ham & Bieksa becoming UFAs one is sure to leave, best to convert one early into picks. Ehrhoff will be 34/35 and not likely to resign. While the Sedins will be nearing the end of the their career.

Continuing the "win now" method will prove beneficial at that time. Since guys like Tanev, Sbisa, Clendending, Corrado, Subban, etc will have gained experience in a winning environment and will be ready to lead our D.

While our young forwards (Kass, BoHo, Vey, Baertschi, Virtanen, McCaan, Shinkaruk, etc) will continue to reap the leadership rewards the Sedins provide.

Except you are entirely wrong.

Buffalo was a good team and on the rise from all expectations. They had made the playoffs the last couple of seasons had been 1st in the NE the season before. They had one of the best goalies in the league, they had a farm system chock full of young studs like Ennis, Meyers, Kassian, and Foligno who were expected to be the backbone of a contending team for years to come. They had a new owner who was willing to throw money to push them to the next level by getting the best UFAs available to complement their existing roster of veterans and youngsters. They had just gone 16-4-4 to finish of the season before being beat out in the playoffs

All was rosy in Buffalo at the time.... certainly not on the downswing,

You are talking with hindsight of how things turned out, not how things were when he signed his contract.

How can my opinion be wrong?

You could see Buffalo was pushing to improve, but they had been a team that needed more than what they'd had to date to do anything better in the win column. They hadn't had the money before, and suddenly they did, but that doesn't guarantee an improving team if it's wasn't going to be managed well.

I felt they were on the downswing prior to getting the green light to spend. The 2009/10 season was an outlier after a couple mediocre seasons the years prior and another the year after. Even after they spent the money (e.g. on Leino and Ehrhoff) I wasn't convinced they'd made positive moves, and looking at it in hindsight validates that.

Everyone keeps saying he wants the money. People keep forgetting that what he wanted was job security. His issue was always length of term, not how much the contract was for.

In other words, those suggesting 1- or 2-year contracts, pretty unlikely he'd want to consider those.

Technically, the term allowed the contract to be more front loaded in salary, so it could still have been about the money.

There's potential for this to be a decent move for us.

If we sign both Ehrhoff and McQuaid, while moving Bieksa for picks, then we could also package Corrado in a deal with other assets like Higgins, Hamhuis and Markstrom to improve another roster spot.

Edler-Tanev

Ehrhoff-McQuaid

Sbisa-Weber

Clendening

Not the worst we could do for the next couple of years while we get assets for expiring contracts.

And that's the only way I'd bring him in is if we can see a different way to improve for the future by moving assets we have now, then signing other assets to replace them short term without having to give anything up to get them.

Lol won't make sense, since we are trying to get rid of the core.

We're working on swapping out the more "periphery" vets for prospects as they develop.

The Sedins, and Edler (the guys he meshed well with and would likely be largely playing with) aren't going anywhere.

We're working on swapping out the more "periphery" vets for prospects as they develop.

The Sedins, and Edler (the guys he meshed well with and would likely be largely playing with) aren't going anywhere.

You're expecting desi to understand advanced concepts. You have to only give him simple options, and even then he gets the point confused.

It is evident that the Canucks are in need of an offensive defenceman, but would Ehrhoff be that guy? He isn't the same player as he was five years ago. He has missed a lot of games. Here is his injury log since leaving Vancouver:

That is a lot of missed games. I think Franson would be a better option.

True... Granted injuries could be a good way to get young d-men into the lineup while not having to depend on them for the full season... I highly doubt we will be playing Clendenning AND Corrado in the same lineup unless injuries do come up.

Anywho, this signing only happens if Bieksa gets moved and overall I'll leave that up to JB to determine if he has the foot speed to continue his offensive style play. It would be interesting and amazing to see Edler + Erhoff back together.

There's potential for this to be a decent move for us.

If we sign both Ehrhoff and McQuaid, while moving Bieksa for picks, then we could also package Corrado in a deal with other assets like Higgins, Hamhuis and Markstrom to improve another roster spot.

Edler-Tanev

Ehrhoff-McQuaid

Sbisa-Weber

Clendening

Not the worst we could do for the next couple of years while we get assets for expiring contracts.

If this is the case, give up Weber and keep Stanton. Ehrhoff would make him redundant.

Dont like McQuaid in the top four either.

There would be risk for sure considering his age injuries and last years performance although some things to consider is he never got 1st unit power play time in Pittsburgh and he has proven chemistry with the Sedins and Edler and like many here have already said would at least be an upgrade on Yannick Weber. IF we could get Ehrhoff cheap for only a year or 2 it would be a low risk high reward type scenario though if we paid him a lot of money it would obviously become high risk instead of low risk.

Jesus, only 3 goals and 11 assists in an injury-shortened season. His worst season in 10 years. So much for Pittsburgh improving his performance, looks like we had him during his peak.

I mean Bieksa wasn't looking good last season having to carry Sbisa around, but even he looked better than Christian last season.

But rebuilds are rebuilds. Should be interesting to see what stop-gaps we cycle through. But to think the glory years are returning by signing this guy is asinine.

Wow that is ugly. If he can't get it together on the PP in Pittsburgh... nooo thank you ....

Cannot see a legit reason for him Not to sign. Not too old yet, can help the PP, can skate, is responsible in his own zone, can make that first pass out, has chemistry. Do not see a "risk" in signing him, he is a proven player who just seems to have never found a fit in Pittsburgh. What? A puck moving D-Man who can play on the PP. Say it isn't so. :)

1.) Ehrhoff is older, and more beaten up than he was when he was here. This is not a factor in his favour.

2.) Ehrhoff does have history here, and leaving this team for more money while saying, "I have a better chance to win a Cup with my new team" isn't something which endears him to many people. This being said, many (most?) of the UFA's who leave their current team are doing so because they ant more money and perhaps a better chance at winning a Cup.

3.) Ehrhoff reverted to his SJS offensive form when he went to Buffalo (ie. a drop in goals and total points). Maybe he will regain his scoring touch were he to return here, however, the Sedins are not the players they were so there is no certainty that the point production for the team will return should he be signed.

The above being said, Ehrhoff does appear to be somewhat improved with regard to his defensive play. Perhaps his time in Buffalo forced him to pay more attention to that part of the game.

4.) In the two seasons he was here, as a team the Canucks were at the top of the NHL in goal scoring (or top two). Fun fact: while the total goals from the defense was 50, the total point production from the Canucks' defense went down in each of those seasons Ehrhoff was here. It was 132 pts prior to him getting here, 129 and then 115 while he was here, followed by 141 points the season after he left.

5.) If the Canucks were to bring back Ehrhoff then a younger player (who many posters are demanding should get ice time) will not be here. I'm opposed to this, at least in this particular instance.

6.) I suspect that Ehrhoff will want more money than most posters around here would like. Maybe he'll even want a NTC.

regards,

G.

Everyone thought Willie Mitchell's career was toast after his concussion with Vancouver, and he went on to help the Kings win 2 Stanley Cups.

Players have recovered from concussions before, and Ehrhoff is still young enough that he can play big minutes, assuming he will be healthy.

I doubt he could make the Canucks PP any worse..so as long as the money makes sense, I would send him an offer.

Let's just hope the Flames/Oilers don't get in on that action, as it would make their lineups even more deadly.

I would welcome him back with open arms for 2 years at $3 million per.

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - Ehrhoff

Sbisa - Bieksa/Corrado/Clendening

What I don't think people realize is that Clendening could get a lot of tips from the Hoff on how to move the puck.

Archived