The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Patrick Roy wants to bring Alex Radulov to Colorado

Former Preds forward, who played for Roy in junior, is currently with KHL club CSKA:

The agent representing Alex Radulov said his client has been contacted by the Colorado Avalanche — who, of course, are coached by Radulov’s former Quebec League bench boss, Patrick Roy.

Per Russian news outlet Championat, Yuri Nikolaev — who also represents the likes of Ilya Kovalchuk and Alex Burmistrov — said that Radulov has spoken with Roy about joining the Avalanche for the 2016-17 campaign, once his deal with CSKA Moscow has expired.

It’s an intriguing bit of news as Radulov, who turns 29 in July, has always been a controversial figure. He infamously parted ways with Nashville in 2008, only to briefly return to the club for its 2012 playoff run. That, of course, ended badly as Radulov and teammate Andrei Kostitsyn were suspended during the second round for violating curfew, with the Preds getting bounced shortly thereafter.

There is no denying Radulov’s talent, however. He’s coming off his best-ever KHL campaign, having captured the league’s scoring title with 71 points in just 46 games.

The prospect of him reconnecting with Roy is also intriguing, as the two were a dynamic force together in junior. During the 2005-06 campaign, Radulov scored a ridiculous 61 goals and 152 points in just 62 games, then scored nine points in four games at the Memorial Cup, helping Roy capture his first and only championship as a head coach.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/28/report-roy-wants-to-bring-radulov-to-colorado/

Russians are a lot of the same except a select few. They're a bunch toe dragging, money grubbing, play with no heart Europeans

We are better off without them, keep them in Russia. The khl is corrupt and won't last much longer anyways so let them burn down with it

Russians are a lot of the same except a select few. They're a bunch toe dragging, money grubbing, play with no heart Europeans

We are better off without them, keep them in Russia. The khl is corrupt and won't last much longer anyways so let them burn down with it

Weird. I guess the same doesn't apply when North American players go over to Russia or any foreign country strictly for the pay cheque. No one seems to calling them toe dragging, greedy, no heart players.

Will someone cue the gif of Radulov purposefully slammin' his Russian coach in the face with a hockeystick? Has Roy NOT seen that one?! Hmmph,...I suppose it takes one to know one.

Radulov completely strikes me as a massive dressingroom cancer,...in the ways Phil Kessel has been a somewhat offensive-dynamo but a very divisive anti-leader amongst his teammates and to hockey-fans who've been following the Leafs and their many troubles. That sort of ego makes for some pretty poor role-modelling,.. and becomes verrrry difficult for 'anyone' to reign-in over time.

Just too many character flaws in this Radulov...I'd pass. Then again - Roy's ego is likely just as inflated and he probably sees Radulov's volatility and living-large personna as passion,...and not as flaws or chinks in the guy's armor - sooooo....don't be too quick to say never again, to Radulov as an NHLer.

But - it will only blow-up and make for some very entertaining drama and headlines coming-out of Colorado - mark my words. I'll get the popcorn!

He's an extremely skilled player and would fit nicely there. They pick 10th, so they may get Provorov or even Hanifin, and would be off to the races again.

Since 2007, esp. since 2009, they've been rebuilding the right way, by making the playoffs every other year and building through the draft in opposite years. Keeps the fans interested while collecting a solid foundation of stars along the way.

Nothing's guaranteed, but I have a feeling they'll jump a lot of teams next season.

I agree 100%

at NO time in history has a North American player EVER cashed in big time and just given up and never put in any effort. There has NEVER been a recorded case of a high profile NA hockey player getting a big cheque and checking out of the game.

Nope

Not once.

Ever

He'd be a sick pick-up for sure, esp. as an UFA. Free offense to add into the strong transition players they already have (Duchene, O'Reilly, MacKinnon, Barrie...) can make them more potent than they already are, and if they can solidify their left-side D they might be a poor-man's Tampa.

That said, would their team be ready to handle the rigors of the playoffs, and would Alex Radulov be a difference-maker on this side of the ocean against, say, teams like Boston in seasons past, or the Rangers?

Archived