The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Article) Cory Pronman mock draft

DrChill

They might not need a center next year or the year after, but drafting the best player possible is usually a logical approach. Who knows what positions will be needed to be filled when they are ready for the NHL in however many years and if not needed, a trade asset. Drafting players based on what is needed this year doesn't actually do much.

They might not need a center next year or the year after, but drafting the best player possible is usually a logical approach. Who knows what positions will be needed to be filled when they are ready for the NHL in however many years and if not needed, a trade asset. Drafting players based on what is needed this year doesn't actually do much.

Agreed, although my heart tells me different. Logically, got a go with BPA, if it's close, then choose for position, but otherwise, BPA.

I don't always agree with Pronman but in this case, he might be right. If Beauvillier is on the board at pick #23, he might very well be the most talented offensive forward available. And that's not a bad direction for this team to go in at this stage of the game, given how many good 2-way forwards we already have in the system.

And Beauvillier looks to be more of a LW/C than a pure centreman, so the "too many centres" argument might not fit here.

After a little digging, I noticed a few things:

The kid has put up around 5 shots a game this past season. He was the top scorer for Shawinigan, and had 30 points more than anyone on his team (might have scored even more with better teammates). He's been recently listed at between 5'10.5" and 5'11" and around 175-180 lbs, depending on the source. His brother Francis, at the same age (17), was about 5'11 - 6'0" and 165-170 lbs. Francis Beauvillier is now playing the UNB Varsity Reds, and they list him at 6'2", 200 lbs. So some room for potential growth. He has the skillset and natural ability to have elite potential, although it's far from guaranteed. Nonetheless, if we are looking for a kid with possible 1st line upside, Beauvillier looks like a good option (if available in the late 1st round).

I hate mock drafts because people who don't know anything about prospects will be carried away and overthink about the specific player and then go into the draft thinking, this is who, the team, should draft at the draft and when it doesn't happen, complain about not picking a player who they knew and thought of coming into the draft opposed to a more unknown or a player that had less coverage. If the player drafted is actually a more known to the fans, then expectations will be off the roof and rarely does the player ever live up to expectation.

In a draft anything can happen. Don't tie yourself to one player thinking we're going to draft him come draft time. Anyone can pick any random prospect and hype him on these boards and have the fanbase all over that player. Don't do it.

Schroeder comes to mind at the draft he dropped to us and everyone was thrilled we got him and he turned out to be a huge bust.

I don't always agree with Pronman but in this case, he might be right. If Beauvillier is on the board at pick #23, he might very well be the most talented offensive forward available. And that's not a bad direction for this team to go in at this stage of the game, given how many good 2-way forwards we already have in the system.

And Beauvillier looks to be more of a LW/C than a pure centreman, so the "too many centres" argument might not fit here.

We have an abundance of LWs and Centers that can also play LW.

We need defense. Forwards doesn't need to be our focus as our best prospects are forwards.

I say good. Don't even know why people are complaining that we have too many centers. None of our prospects who are centermen are projected as #1 liners. So in order to increase to odds of having a #1 centerman, we keep drafting centers until we get one. And we can probably trade the abundance of centers for a defenceman.

Personally taking a offensive player is my preference. Centers can move to wing, having too many centers is a good thing as they are more valuable. Also having a converted center on the wing works out when needing players to take draws and PK.

You should change your name to Dr not retarded

My mock draft had Tyson Baille from the rockets last year in the late rounds.

And by mock draft I mean one guy we should pick up from our own friggin backyard.

Oh well, he'll get drafted this year. He's my "Tyler Johnson" award winner for the future.

A 5'10" center would never survive on the Canucks depth chart let alone in the big tough Western Conference. This kid just isn't elite enough to be that small and one-dimensional.

Besides, we have no right drafting forwards anymore. Defencecman or trade the pick for one. Our needs are Kylington, Roy, Eriksson-Ek right now.

This is his take on Who he would take if he was in charge of the team.

Picks are

1- Mcdavid

Eichel

Marner

Strome

Hanafin

Barzal

Konecny

Werenski

Svechnikov

Crouse

Rantanen

Zacha

Provorov

Connor

Kylington

Bracco

Sprong

Jeremy Roy

Cernak

White

Merkley

Stephens

Beauvillier

Harkins

Vande Sompel

Andersson

Meier

Aho

Boeser

DeBrusk

Jesus.

Provorov at 13th.

Bracco at 16th.

Cernak at 19th.

Meier at 27th.

Aho at 28th.

DeBrusk at 29th.

Seriously....CDC average is better than this.

Maybe if he actually went to a CHL game once and awhile....

Would like us to draft a defenceman in the first round if there is someone who's worth picking at the 23rd. I usually think BPA is the way to go, but we've done that for a couple of years now. And now we don't have any good defensive prospects. Well we got Subban, Clendening, Cederholm, Corrado Pedan, Hutton and some others. But those are not defensemen you win championships with.

Archived