The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The darker side of solar power

Heretic

Tell me what should a country like australia invest in to help solve their energy problems ? Hydro or solar ?

Which would be the more practical , viable solution ?

I don't know - unfortunately, I've never been to Australia.

My comment wasn't about what is more practical for different areas of the world - I was commenting on Hugor Hill's comment that he said solar was "cleaner than what we're using now".

My comment wasn't about what is more practical for different areas of the world - I was commenting on Hugor Hill's comment that he said solar was "cleaner than what we're using now".

See this is the problem , we as a species have to think globally.

I know with out researching that Canada has vast water reserves and a lot more rivers than Aus that could be harnessed for hydro powered generators.

A little research shows that Canada leads the world in hydro-electricity production , one source claiming over 90% of power produced in BC is hydro.

It is very common knowledge that australia is the driest continent on this planet.

It is also common knowledge that aus is a very sunny place

So what do think australians should invest in ? Hydro or Solar ?

See this is the problem , we as a species have to think globally.

I know with out researching that Canada has vast water reserves and a lot more rivers than Aus that could be harnessed for hydro powered generators.

A little research shows that Canada leads the world in hydro-electricity production , one source claiming over 90% of power produced in BC is hydro.

It is very common knowledge that australia is the driest continent on this planet.

It is also common knowledge that aus is a very sunny place

So what do think australians should invest in ? Hydro or Solar ?

I do think globally - so I am not the "problem".

The "problem" is you still don't understand my reply and instead jump to conclusions.

Obviously, if there's no source for hydro, then that isn't much of an option is it?

Course, Australia is surrounded by ocean, so there's another option besides solar.

But yes, Australia is lucky to have a "red" solar zone:

image003.jpg

See Canada on that map? Not the most efficient place to harness the sun's energy.

Since you have offered a rebuttal to my rebuttal, you do accept the fact that an argument is always opened to rebuttals.

I do think globally - so I am not the "problem".

The "problem" is you still don't understand my reply and instead jump to conclusions.

Obviously, if there's no source for hydro, then that isn't much of an option is it?

Course, Australia is surrounded by ocean, so there's another option besides solar.

But yes, Australia is lucky to have a "red" solar zone:

image003.jpg

See Canada on that map? Not the most efficient place to harness the sun's energy.

I understand that you were/are being a smart arse. You are part of the problem when you post articles like the OP in this thread.

Did I claim that canada should use solar ? No I did not. I actually pointed out that you guys lead the world in the production of hydro-electricity.

Did I say that Solar was aus's only option , again no I did not , but with current technology it is the most viable.

So australia is lucky to be the driest continent on the planet :picard:

Your original post was meant to stir the pot , posting an article by some F-tard that tries to put solar power in a negative light.

Then you act hurt when other members call you on the stupidity of the article you posted.

Why do you wish to prove the validity of Marjanes statement ?

I understand that you were/are being a smart arse. You are part of the problem when you post articles like the OP in this thread.

Did I claim that canada should use solar ? No I did not. I actually pointed out that you guys lead the world in the production of hydro-electricity.

Did I say that Solar was aus's only option , again no I did not , but with current technology it is the most viable.

So australia is lucky to be the driest continent on the planet :picard:

Your original post was meant to stir the pot , posting an article by some F-tard that tries to put solar power in a negative light.

Then you act hurt when other members call you on the stupidity of the article you posted.

Why do you wish to prove the validity of Marjanes statement ?

You still didn't get it.

Marjanes????

I posted it as I'm tired of the bleeding heart environmentalists and 1 sided viewpoints - so I posted the "other" side.

Point is, no energy is completely without faults/impact.

You've known me a long time, I'm not too sure what's going on with your tangents here.

Edit: FYI - I started this thread.

Thanks. That's all we needed.

So are you going to answer my question or not?

Let me refresh your memory:

The original argument is subject to rebuttals, as with all arguments presented in all environments. And the official rebuttal is: it is still cleaner than what we are using now.

Cleaner than Hydro?

You still didn't get it.

Marjanes????

I posted it as I'm tired of the bleeding heart environmentalists and 1 sided viewpoints - so I posted the "other" side.

You've known me a long time, I'm not too sure what's going on with your tangents here.

Bleeding hearts enviromentalist's = people who actually give a frack about our planet and the people we share it with, and what sort of world we are going to pass on to future generations.

The other side as you put it is some moron whose beliefs shall we say are somewhat retarded.

What can one say about a species that spends a big chunk of it's resources on killing each other yet cannot find the resources to fix the obvious problems our species is facing ?

You love to post lyrics up here are some for you

All alone, or in two's,

The ones who really love you

Walk up and down outside the wall.

Some hand in hand

And some gathered together in bands.

The bleeding hearts and artists

Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all

Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy

Banging your heart against some mad bugger's wall......Roger Waters

You still didn't get it.

Marjanes????

Ugh, I know. How selfish are those douchebags trying to make a better future for their children. What a bunch of clowns.

Bleeding hearts enviromentalist's = people who actually give a frack about our planet and the people we share it with, and what sort of world we are going to pass on to future generations.

The other side as you put it is some moron whose beliefs shall we say are somewhat retarded.

What can one say about a species that spends a big chunk of it's resources on killing each other yet cannot find the resources to fix the obvious problems our species is facing ?

You love to post lyrics up here are some for you

All alone, or in two's,

The ones who really love you

Walk up and down outside the wall.

Some hand in hand

And some gathered together in bands.

The bleeding hearts and artists

Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all

Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy

Banging your heart against some mad bugger's wall......Roger Waters

Yeah, good lyrics and you didn't have to post his name - one of my favourite bands.

Like any group of people, a few bad apples paints the whole in a negative light - I'm sure you see what I mean now.

FYI, I didn't mean all environmentalists - just the bad apples.

I don't think it matters whether it is solar or hydro those parasites will get their piece of the pie no matter what.

Hey, forget hydro and solar, Im all for nuclear power right now. The parasites can suck their kickbacks from multibillion dollar reactor projects. It works, New reactors are safe if they are out of earthquake/tsunami/tornado prone areas. Yes, they have waste to be dealt with but they work. 3 mile island and Chernobyl happened at a time when the entire place was run by computers that had 1/1000 th the computing power of the average smart phone.

Fuel energy density (in megajoules per kilogram):

Sugar: 19

Coal: 24

Gasoline: 46

Uranium: 72,000,000

One of these fuel sources is not like the others.

Yeah, good lyrics and you didn't have to post his name - one of my favourite bands.

Like any group of people, a few bad apples paints the whole in a negative light - I'm sure you see what I mean now.

FYI, I didn't mean all environmentalists - just the bad apples.

I state that the bad apples are our business leaders who are raping our planets resources for monetary gain and the politicians who are abetting them.

I was watching a Pommy doco last night where a guy called simon reeves goes into cultures that are still living like they have for thousands of years.

Though there are not many left they all stated that the our planet is F#$%ing up , that rains do not come when they used to , that natural disasters are increasing and they cannot understand why "little brother" one elders term for us - people living a consumer lifestyle , will not listen to them and try to avert from becoming the victims of our own design.

I am only a third generation farmer and I can see and feel the change in climate/weather patterns and here on the driest continent on this planet the predictions are that it is only going to get hotter and drier.

If we do manage to survive the next few centuries and evolve into a species that can live in harmony with our planet and ourselve's I want those future generations to see that there were kind , intelligent and empathetic people who cared very much what sort of world we passed down to them.

Archived