The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning on the TSN 1040 (May 29)

Gstank29

Interesting... If we did add Ehrhoff, one or two of Stanton, Weber, Corrado, and Clendening are most certainly gone...

Leaving with Tanev, Edler, Bieksa, Hamhuis, Ehrhoff, Sbisa, Clendening/Corrado

Your dreaming buddy at least one of Bieska or Hamhuis are gone for sure, Hammer I think brings the most return and willingness to be traded to a contender

I doubt Erhoff is coming here unless it is a deal that can't be passed up. Trading away Hamhuis/Bieksa to make cap space then bring in Erhoff for the same $$$ is like a slap in the face to guys who have been extremely loyal to the club. Anyways, Clendenning/Corrado should be expected to bring offense to the back end.

We dont need Ehrhoff, Loose Bieska and Hammer if possible and only trade for a D ONLY if he's a stud #1 or #2 guy and not old

Clendening/Corrado are 6/7 d men right now and don't project to be better than maybe #4 guys at all.

Say what you want about Ehrhoff not being the player he was but he's better than either of those guys and has proven chemistry with Edler and the twins (albeit all a bit diminished with age).

Him at 2-3 year gives us time to develop Hutton, Subban, McNally, 2015 draft 1st rounder in to NHL players.

I'd prefer we go Green or go home too but Benning's already stated that's not happening.

No and NOOOOOOOOOOOOo we dont need old expensive D-man we need a young fast stud. Go with who we have less Bieska and/or Hammer and wait for the right stud young D-man

No and NOOOOOOOOOOOOo we dont need old expensive D-man we need a young fast stud. Go with who we have less Bieska and/or Hammer and wait for the right stud young D-man

Ehrhoff's still faster than either Clendening or Corrado...maybe even Weber. He's also older, not old and nobody is suggesting $$$. We'll have to draft/develop the "right stud yound D-man" That takes a few years ;)

We dont need Ehrhoff, Loose Bieska and Hammer if possible and only trade for a D ONLY if he's a stud #1 or #2 guy and not old

Stud, #1 guys almost never get traded and pretty much never until they're old.

#2 guys...once in a blue moon but again, pretty much only when they're old/declining and then we're also giving up prime, young assets to get them. Pretty much the opposite of what we want to do.

Ehrhoff would cost us nothing but a bit of money on a short term ~$3m X 2-3 years and allow us time to develop Hutton, Subban, our draftee this year etc.

Out of all of that, you go for the goalie controversy.

Deplorable really.

Seriously? I mean seriously? I wasn't creating any goalie controversy. I'm stating fact. Benning sounds like he wants Markstrom on the team next year. Therefore, one of our goalies will have to leave. FACT. You're the only one trying to spin this into a goaltending controversy here, so learn how to read. I also talked about our D briefly in my post too FYI.

Ehrhoff's still faster than either Clendening or Corrado...maybe even Weber. He's also older, not old and nobody is suggesting $$$. We'll have to draft/develop the "right stud yound D-man" That takes a few years ;)

Stud, #1 guys almost never get traded and pretty much never until they're old.

#2 guys...once in a blue moon but again, pretty much only when they're old/declining and then we're also giving up prime, young assets to get them. Pretty much the opposite of what we want to do.

Ehrhoff would cost us nothing but a bit of money on a short term ~$3m X 2-3 years and allow us time to develop Hutton, Subban, our draftee this year etc.

No way we waist money on Ehrhoff, chances are he declines big time just for us. Trades for #1 or #2 guys do happen and I think Nashville will be looking to loose a solid D-man soon bucause they cant afford to have that much money tied up in 3 d-men. FA or a trade unless we develope our own is the way to go. Why trade Hammer if we sign Ehrhoff, seems dumb to me. There ill be D-men available on the market I bet and JB will deliever.

No way we waist money on Ehrhoff, chances are he declines big time just for us. Trades for #1 or #2 guys do happen and I think Nashville will be looking to loose a solid D-man soon bucause they cant afford to have that much money tied up in 3 d-men. FA or a trade unless we develope our own is the way to go. Why trade Hammer if we sign Ehrhoff, seems dumb to me. There ill be D-men available on the market I bet and JB will deliever.

So who we trading for this D-man? Horvat?

I like the way Benning goes about his business.

Of course he has his own opinions but he's not about to say anything to the public about personnel before the "Pro meetings". The whole management team will be discussing and be involved in the process. Make no mistake, Benning is the guy who makes the decisions and takes responsibility but he wants input from his team.

The result is the same as playing your 4th liners 10 minutes. They are involved, their input is valued, they care and as a result, they perform better. It's also about respect.

How hard will a chief scout work if he recommends you draft player X, and the GM goes off the board and takes somebody else with no discussion. Especially in the lower rounds. This is how you teach a guy that his opinion has no value to you. Benning does not work like this.

what's your interpretation of "it was a tough couple of weeks ... going back and forth", "there are things a team can do that make you think you dont have a no-trade clause at all" and "i'm glad it's over with"?

Yes, and part of that process reportedly was a deal with St. Louis that Garrison vetoed before the Tampa Bay deal went through. A lot went on there, and it may well have come close to the waiver scenario you evoked for Bieksa.

jason garrison's mouth.

He meant where could he read that quote other than you just saying it-as in, where did you get it from? It's a fair question. Like him, I don't tend to trust as fact everything someone says on CDC.

I did a quick search and found the quote at http://www.mynhltraderumors.com/2014/10/17/rumors-i-oilers-garrison-and-reimer/

He meant where could he read that quote other than you just saying it-as in, where did you get it from? It's a fair question. Like him, I don't tend to trust as fact everything someone says on CDC.

I did a quick search and found the quote at http://www.mynhltraderumors.com/2014/10/17/rumors-i-oilers-garrison-and-reimer/

i know what he's asking, but thinking there's any chance that someone would fabricate that quote is ridiculous.

i know what he's asking, but thinking there's any chance that someone would fabricate that quote is ridiculous.

Some guy at the coffee shot was saying that Benning was going to trade the Sedins.....Happens all the time, then we rip that guy a new one for not providing a valid source

I’ll disagree, None of our 4 RFA will make it through waivers, ....

I'm not positive about that, though you could easily be right.

I agree that neither Weber nor Clendening would make it through. Weber's offence this year would make him sure to be grabbed and Clendening's 1st and 2nd team AHL all-star selections and general development would imo cause someone to take a shot if he were avaiable. He's been a reasonably high profile prospect.

Stanton made it to the 24th team in the selections in the preseason of 2013 and because of his weak 2014-15 season, while I expect he'd be claimed I wouldn't be certain of it.

I'd find it surprising if Corrado made it through, but am not certain how highly he's regarded around the league.

Some guy at the coffee shot was saying that Benning was going to trade the Sedins.....Happens all the time, then we rip that guy a new one for not providing a valid source

did that guy provide a direct quote from jim benning?

I'm not positive about that, though you could easily be right.

I agree that neither Weber nor Clendening would make it through. Weber's offence this year would make him sure to be grabbed and Clendening's 1st and 2nd team AHL all-star selections and general development would imo cause someone to take a shot if he were avaiable. He's been a reasonably high profile prospect.

Stanton made it to the 24th team in the selections in the preseason of 2013 and because of his weak 2014-15 season, while I expect he'd be claimed I wouldn't be certain of it.

I'd find it surprising if Corrado made it through, but am not certain how highly he's regarded around the league.

no doubt Corrado gets claimed, if AV would play him as a 19 y/o in a playoff game, I have to think he'd give him a real look.

I think it's Stanton who walks, or gets his rights traded. We can't run with 9 NHL D, and can't risk Corrado or Clendening on waivers. Weber was all but top 4 by the end of the season, he stays.

Fact: Gillis rejected a deal sending Kesler to Pittsburgh for Maataa, Bennett, Pouliot and a 2014 1st. Fact.

Archived