The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Off-Season Moves Prediction Thread

Provost

I make one of these threads every offseason and then every season and folks put down what they think will happen... then at the end of the season (or training camp in this case) we get to see who had the right crystal ball.

EDIT: DON'T POST A COMMENT DISAGREEING WITH SOMEONE'S PREDICTIONS UNLESS YOU HAVE THE COJONES TO POST YOUR OWN FIRST. YOU COME ACROSS AS A WEENIE WHO CAN'T COME UP WITH ORIGINAL THOUGHT.

My predictions:

Forwards:

- Both Higgins and Hansen will be moved out. In return, we will end up some some picks plus at least one extra "almost" ready minor league defenceman who can be used for injury call-ups during the year.

- Neither Matthias or Richardson will be re-signed

- Kassian will stay

- Not a lot of other moves as we have enough young guys to compete for the open spots left

- Virtanen is on the opening day roster probably because of an injury to a veteran, but he goes down before 9 games.

Defence

- I am picking Hamhuis to be the one moved out of our corps. He can garner a decent return, plus is probably more likely to waive his NTC than Bieksa. Hamhuis knows a lot of other players from his Team Canada time and could probably easily be persuaded to join them in another organization, especially one that is a contender.

- If Bieksa does waive, it is to Toronto who after moving out a lot of pieces would use him as a veteran to usher their youngsters along

- We will sign or trade for another top 4 D as a replacement.
- We sign McQuaid from Boston if we have managed to trade away at least two of our D before July 1st

Goal

- Lack is the one that moves. I am guessing they try to move Miller, but aren't successful as there aren't as many suitors at that cap hit. SJ is where Miller goes if he does end up being the one moved out.

Draft

- We move up in the 1st round, but only by a few spots and end up picking between 15-20.

- We have at least 2 more picks in the first three rounds (probably both in the 2nd round due to the moves listed above.

I make one of these threads every offseason and then every season and folks put down what they think will happen... then at the end of the season (or training camp in this case) we get to see who had the right crystal ball.

My predictions:

Forwards:

- Both Higgins and Hansen will be moved out. In return, we will end up some some picks plus at least one extra "almost" ready minor league defenceman who can be used for injury call-ups during the year.

- Neither Matthias or Richardson will be re-signed

- Kassian will stay

- Not a lot of other moves as we have enough young guys to compete for the open spots left

- Virtanen is on the opening day roster probably because of an injury to a veteran, but he goes down before 9 games.

Defence

- I am picking Hamhuis to be the one moved out of our corps. He can garner a decent return, plus is probably more likely to waive his NTC than Bieksa. Hamhuis knows a lot of other players from his Team Canada time and could probably easily be persuaded to join them in another organization, especially one that is a contender.

- We will sign or trade for another top 4 D as a replacement.

Goal

- Lack is the one that moves. I am guessing they try to move Miller, but aren't successful as there aren't as many suitors at that cap hit. SJ is where Miller goes if he does end up being the one moved out.

Draft

- We move up in the 1st round, but only by a few spots and end up picking between 15-20.

- We have at least 2 more picks in the first three rounds (probably both in the 2nd round due to the moves listed above.

You think Hamhuis, a born and bred BC boy and co-owner of the PG Cougars would be more willing to waive his NTC than Bieksa. I'll have to disagree there.

You think Hamhuis, a born and bred BC boy and co-owner of the PG Cougars would be more willing to waive his NTC than Bieksa. I'll have to disagree there.

The point of the thread is to make your predictions and then we all get to see who ends up being right. So put your money where your mouth is and put down what YOU think would happen and only time will tell.

It is way too often on this forum that folks run off their mouths telling folks they are wrong but then become eerily silent when things turn out differently. This way when this thread gets resurrected in October we can see who had it right. It is altogether possible I have everything wrong, but being wrong never bothered me much. Last regular season I got almost everything wring, the two seasons before that I got almost everything right.

I see us going after one of the many talented RFAs out there. IMO I could see us targeting both Brandon Saad and Dougie Hamilton if we free up enough cap space. The dream is Tarasenko, but those two are much more realistic and affordable.

Higgins, Bieksa, and Miller I see as the most likely to be traded in packages to get us something better.

I don't want to be "that guy". But I know some of Hamhuis's family. Take this for what it's worth but according to them he thinks he's played his last game as a Canuck. He's willing to waive if asked. But he wants to go somewhere warm.

I see us going after one of the many talented RFAs out there. IMO I could see us targeting both Brandon Saad and Dougie Hamilton if we free up enough cap space. The dream is Tarasenko, but those two are much more realistic and affordable.

Higgins, Bieksa, and Miller I see as the most likely to be traded in packages to get us something better.

None of those are realistic. Those are the kind of players teams go out if their way to keep.

Miller for Marleau

Hamhuis, Corrado, Jensen for Kulikov

Bieksa for 2nd, 3rd

Higgins for 3rd

Sign McQuaid 3 years at $3.5

Re-sign Weber, Stanton, Ritchie

Virtanen back to The Dub

Sedins-Kassian

Marleau-Bonino-Vrbata

Baertschi-Hovart-Burrows

Dorsett-Ritchie-Hansen

Kenins/Vey

Edler-Tanev

Kulikov-Weber

Sbisa-McQuaid

Stanton/Clendening

Lack

Markstrom

To me, the success of the off-season hinges entirely on being able to move Miller. If they can't move Miller, then they will sign no one of consequence and the team will simply go to training camp with largely the same cast, and a few extra spots open for prospects due to the departure of Matthias and Richardson.

I have hated the Miller signing since last year not because of the salary but because of the opportunity costs. I knew when they signed him that it was going to cost them at least one of Lack or Markstrom, and it also means that useful players like Matthias will walk because of the cap pressure. The Sbisa signing exercebates this as well.

For the record, I have no problem with Miller as a player or as a person. He performs just fine. However he was never going to be five times better than Lack which is what he would have to have been to justify the contract. The three year deal was equally head scratching.

If Benning can undo the mess he created with this signing, then they may have an interesting off season. Otherewise it will basically be business as usual for the Canucks.

imo, bieksa, lack, kassian, richardson and matthias are moved this year...higgins, hamhuis, vrbata and burrows next year...in my plan, no one gets moved until someone can move them off the team...

Richardson and matthias are UFAs in just over a month, doubt we get f-all back but yea....they won't be here next season. Wouldn't suprise me to see any of; Higgins,Hansen, Burrows,Kassian, Vrbata, Edler, Hamhuis, Bieksa, Jensen, or any of the goalies get moved

I'm more interested in what actually happens. The time is almost upon us.

Same. I could post what I'd like to see happen but trying to guess what will actually happen strikes me as a pointless exercise.

2 big trades (one involving a goalie, and one involving one of Bieksa, Hammer, Edler, Tanev, or Sbisa).

Horvat has 20 games at 2C and 60 at 3C.

Neither McCann or Virtanen make it.

Shinkaruk makes it.

Baertschi: 20 goals 30 assists.

Jeez, that'd be nice.

Same. I could post what I'd like to see happen but trying to guess what will actually happen strikes me as a pointless exercise.

Going through the trouble of posting something entirely useless in a thread you find pointless is way beyond pointless. Some people just take up oxygen in this world.

In terms of bringing people in? Going to be relatively quiet on that end. Maybe a few moves but nothing earth shattering or extremely impactful/game changing players. More so just depth guys.

IN terms of shipping guys out? Plenty...no brainer some of the vets have to go...pick the lot from Miller, Lack, Hamhuis, Bieksa, Higgins, Burrows, Hansen. Gunna predict 3 are gone from above before training camp.

Archived