The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Edler - ? (Open Proposal)

The Sabres will do what they did last year. They'll overpay a pylon or two for the upcoming season to make it past the floor if need be.

The playoffs are unfortunately a pipe dream. The Sabres will be bottom 5 this year.

I see I see , so you don't think they get Miller for a 3rd or something small?

Who do you see in net for the Sabres next year , Niemi is a UFA .

Your guess is as good as mine as to what his number will be in the end. His jersey at the draft will say '15 because it's the 2015 draft year.

Ahhhh , this makes lots of sense .

Did not think of it that way .

I see I see , so you don't think they get Miller for a 3rd or something small?

Who do you see in net for the Sabres next year , Niemi is a UFA .

Murray is in love with large goaltenders. I don't know if he'll go for a stopgap goalie like Niemi or if he'll stick a youngin' or two in net. If I had to guess, he'll stick a vet in there as starter while giving one of the older young prospects a chance at backup.

Miller won't come back to Buffalo because the organization is on the east coast.

The goaltending prospect pool is pretty much the only concern the Sabres have when it comes to the future. Two seasons ago it looked strong, but last year was a poor year for the organization's prospective goalies. It's why I've been wanting Demko for most of the season. I think he's going to be a serious future asset for the Canucks in the near-ish future.

He's a top pairing D man. He's worth a top ten pick in this or any other draft with his cap hit.

Dont really understand why Sabres fan wants to argue that at all.

Top pairing defensemen are valuable. Even more valuable under $5.5 million a year.

ManUtd a die hard abd very knowledgeable hockey/avalanche fan straight up said for tge Avs first this year in a moment.

So top ten pick +

Nothing you can argue. Hell... what did Yandle get again?

That's your ballpark

He's a top pairing D man. He's worth a top ten pick in this or any other draft with his cap hit.

Top pairing defensemen are valuable. Even more valuable under $5.5 million a year.

ManUtd a die hard abd very knowledgeable hockey/avalanche fan straight up said for tge Avs first this year in a moment.

So top ten pick +

That's your ballpark

We're both entitled to our opinions as well as entitled to think that one another is nuts.

CDC will agree with you though because he's a Canuck and as such, I will lose the argument. That's one of the reasons I gave up the discussion about his worth earlier in the thread.

So top ten pick +

That's your ballpark

Very Valid , B-prospect like Duclair & a late 2nd this year , john moore , & a 2016 first .....

I'm kind of very upset now that I'm realizing Benning basically could have done this for Edler to NYR .

he would have recouped this years 2nd , added a 1st for next year & a prospect & a D man to replace Edler's roster spot .

I'm sure the deal would have worked for both , as his contract doesn't expire until 2020 .

unlike Yandle's which does after next year .

We're both entitled to our opinions as well as entitled to think that one another is nuts.

CDC will agree with you though because he's a Canuck and as such, I will lose the the argument. That's one of the reasons I gave up the discussion about his worth earlier in the thread.

remind us about the bogosian Kane trade. Yandle. Pronger or any other top pairing D man.

Again you don't have to agree but Carolina Colorado San Jose Philadelphia New Jersey all of them need a d man like Edler and would cough up a single first round pick for that depending on their direction for development.

Under 30 and good contract. Endless 30 point seasons. Multiple 40 point seasons. Heavy hitter

Ya. Never mind. We'd be lucky to see any team get a third for that kind of player

If Benning can pull of an upper first round pick for him or a great package return for or that includes him, then he'll be as good as advertised and most will be impressed.

Benning has been kinda conservative. I'd love to see him "make a splash" in the trading market.

remind us about the bogosian Kane trade. Yandle. Pronger or any other top pairing D man.

Again you don't have to agree but Carolina Colorado San Jose Philadelphia New Jersey all of them need a d man like Elder. Under 30 and good contract. Endless 30 point seasons. Multiple 40 point seasons. Heavy hitter

Ya. Never mind. We'd be lucky to see any team get a third for that kind of player

I would love to see Benning get a premium return if he decided to trade Edler. It's just my opinion that he wouldn't. If he ends up trading him for a great return during the off-season, then this thread can be bumped and I'll happily eat crow. I want to see the Canucks succeed.

edler will not drop his no trade clause..he's said that...you have a better chance getting bieksa and hamhuis to drop their's...

I doubt Hamhuis drops his compared to Edler....

Bieksa maybe to a contender .

But Hamhuis is the BC boy , who co-owns PG Cougars .

He's going to be heartbroken enough when he doesn't get resigned after next season .

I've always been curious about what the Red Wings offered for him after the '11-'12 season that MG turned down. It was his best season.

You and I both. That would have been the time and place. Sadly I think Gillis over valued or demanded too much.

Keith Yandle: 29 years 579 games 322 points -28 career +/- and 1 year left on his contract of $5.2 million cap. NYR gave a 1st in 2016 a 2nd this year and Anthony Duclair (considered a B+ prospect)

Alex Edler: 29 years old 568 games played 259 points +2 career +/- and has like 4 more years left on a $5 million cap.

Again....there's your ballpark

Keith Yandle: 29 years 579 games 322 points -28 career +/- and 1 year left on his contract of $5.2 million cap. NYR gave a 1st in 2016 a 2nd this year and Anthony Duclair (considered a B+ prospect)

Alex Edler: 29 years old 568 games played 259 points +2 career +/- and has like 4 more years left on a $5 million cap.

Again....there's your ballpark

Like I said before, if Benning can pull of something similar I'd be ecstatic.

Not even a little. If the Sabres gave up a first for him, I would blow a gasket. It would be free entertainment for all of CDC to watch.

You think you're gonna get a better player than Edler with the 21st? Not being a homer but Edler is a legitimate 2/3 guy most of the time. At 21st you're not likely to get a huge impact player.

http://www2.tsn.ca/columnists/scott_cullen/?ID=267960

The Canucks can want one, but they won't get it. It's nice to want things.

From a team that has a hole on defense mid-season? For a guy that is a solid #3 at worst, and doesn't carry an enormous cap hit? A 1st round pick in 2016 in the 15th overall range is definitely not asking too much.

You think you're gonna get a better player than Edler with the 21st? Not being a homer but Edler is a legitimate 2/3 guy most of the time. At 21st you're not likely to get a huge impact player.

http://www2.tsn.ca/columnists/scott_cullen/?ID=267960

I'm hoping that the Sabres will trade the 21st pick for a young, very good prospect who's close to playing in the NHL. If they spent it on a 29 year old defenceman, I would be hopping mad. The Sabres aren't going to contend for the cup for the next 2 or 3 seasons. Edler would be long gone by then. They need to stay young, not collect older players in an attempt at mediocrity.

From a team that has a hole on defense mid-season? For a guy that is a solid #3 at worst, and doesn't carry an enormous cap hit? A 1st round pick in 2016 in the 15th overall range is definitely not asking too much.

Maybe Benning could pull it off. It would be great if he did.

The Canucks can want one, but they won't get it. It's nice to want things.

Edler is abolustely worth at the least a mid to late first rounder. Solid #2 defensemen with his skill set, signed to his cap hit, for the length of time left on his deal, are worth at least that. Especially at the deadline where much lesser defensemen have gone for just as much.

Edler is abolustely worth at the least a mid to late first rounder. Solid #2 defensemen with his skill set, signed to his cap hit, for the length of time left on his deal, are worth at least that. Especially at the deadline where much lesser defensemen have gone for just as much.

If Benning puts him on the market in the off-season, we'll see soon enough what this year's market will bear. Catch somebody who, because of injury, is in need of a solid defenceman just before the deadline next season and he could bring in a king's ransom in pick(s) and/or prospect(s).

That would be the best time to trade him, not during this off-season when nobody will be desperate for his services.

Archived