The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Chromecast vs Apple TV

Cooke_Hart

I'm wondering about the advantages and disadvantages of both. I know that Apple TV is more money up front but Chromecast has a subscription to it. It seems like Apple TV has more apps on it.

It doesn't seem like there's that discernible a difference but has anyone tried both? Thoughts?

I have an Apple TV and I'm pretty happy with it, I use it for NHL Gamecenter, my iTunes music, Netflix and sometimes Youtube. It's relatively simple as all Apple products are. Unfortunately I have no experience with Chromecast, but I think it would really depend on what you're planning to do. Apple TV has all the major sports apps if that's what you're after.

IMO there are plenty of better/free options than paying for Chromecast or buying an Apple TV box..

If you have a laptop, tablet, PC, etc.. and an internet connection you can essentially watch any and I mean any TV show or Movie produced in history for free.. using a simple program like Kodi (XBMC) and PopCorn Time for modern content.

IMO there are plenty of better/free options than paying for Chromecast or buying an Apple TV box..

If you have a laptop, tablet, PC, etc.. and an internet connection you can essentially watch any and I mean any TV show or Movie produced in history for free.. using a simple program like Kodi (XBMC) and PopCorn Time for modern content.

The legality of Kodi is sooooooo iffy. Its an open source for a very good reason. The apps that provide illegal content arent theirs. Their "we only provide a player, not the content" angle wouldnt hold up in any court and the question of whether the apps maker or the end user is committing an indictable offense as well is open to debate. So far nobody seems interested in testing it all in court but they will sooner or later if the whole thing continues to expand. Id guess the end users are at a extremely low risk of ever being charged with anything but its there.

simple, if you use apple devices, an apple TV is better due to the airplay functionality that is better than the beta version of google chromecast screen casting. If you have android and windows, chromecast is the better option due to compatibility and the fact that google services on android work better. I would get an apple TV 2 for myself due to the ability to jail break it and put Kodi on it and my ipad and mac mini would be able to use the airplay feature.

Archived