The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[discussion] Who actually believes a 're-tool' works when the key core players are 35 years old?

BanTSN

I sure hope Ladd and Seabrook make it to free agency - those are the exact kind of veterans our team will need- heavy, skilled and full of leadership and character not to mention experience

And then I sure hope they are on Jennings radar

They would be on 30 teams radar especially Seabrook and Vancouver has Edler, Hamhuis, Bieksa all with NTC and none of them want to go anywhere so basically to get Seabrook we are trading Tanev away.

Always love your pretentious assumptions that you can't back up with tangible evidence eg. "The Sedins are in coasting to retirement mode".

This is why it's hard to take you seriously.

Dude, only a fan an la-la land doesn't realize that the Sedins have played their best hockey already. This is why re-tooling with the idea of supporting them, at 35 years old, is a waste of time.

it all starts with the right management. The hawks get Scotty Bowman in charge and then appoint Stan Bowman. Colorado fires Joel Quenville, Chicago fires their own coach and gets Joel Quenville. This is how dynasty's are formed with the right management. Leafs hate them or love them, have made the right moves, I would be surprised if Leafs don't at-least make the finals in 8 years time

Chicago picked up many gems in the draft Seabrook, Keith, Kane, Toews (build around them equals success)

Calgary looks to be following the blackhawk model, so far they have drafted two gems Johnny, Monahan, Giordano, Tj Brodie (build around them)

okay let's see what the Canucks are doing.

So far we have drafted a gem in Horvat, and have a bunch of question marks on bunch of our prospects. Hey this is why I say I hope Benning hopes to sell lots of the team this year, so we can get some solid young prospects from a deep draft.

I think Aquilini needs to lose against the rebuilt young Calgarys and Winnipegs and Edmontons with an old team before he finally sees the light and signs off on a rebuild. I think this year coming up might just be the year he finally sees it.

Basically, everyone understood when Benning dumped Kesler and Garrison. It made sense. Bring in some kids, some youthful energy, the stuff Benning has been saying all season that we needed to do. Maybe even go for a better chance at McDavid?

But then when he brought in Miller and Vrbata, everyone was like wtf? Okay. Re-Tool? Really? With more 35 year olds? Wow.

It made no sense at all. The reward of the re-tooling was what? Building a winning culture by losing to Calgary, following that up with watching Edmonton get McDavid? Not that Calgary and Edmonton are model examples, but if we're CLEARLY on the downtrend and have been since 2011, then who could possibly believe that a re-tool with more old fogies could possibly work?

Everyone is confused. Kassian was confused that his spot was taken by another old dude. Jensen was confused that he had to go back to the AHL again. Markstrom was weirded out when Miller was brought in. Lack is also confused as to why trade talk is circling him. Horvat was lucky, but apparently WD wasn't too happy about giving him a spot. Meanwhile you have Jimbo and the Canucks saying that change is coming and we need to get younger.

Well how about we do that then?

Dude, only a fan an la-la land doesn't realize that the Sedins have played their best hockey already. This is why re-tooling with the idea of supporting them, at 35 years old, is a waste of time.

Not arguing that.

What you should be (hopefully) smart enough to realize is that the phrase "coasting into retirement" implies that you think the Sedins are starting to mail it in effort-wise because they're getting older, again something you can't prove.

Now if you care to clarify this statement, feel free.

As for the Detroit model, anyone do a head count on prospects brought into their lineup in this past while?

I count 16.

Us?

Like, two. Horvat and Kenins? And they have real problems with Kassian and Jensen. Basically no young players have secure jobs unless they play like vets. What the hell kind of expectation is that? It's insane. You don't see Detroit doing this. You see them getting their young players up to speed.

It's a joke mentioning that we're following the Detroit model.

Not arguing that.

What you should be (hopefully) smart enough to realize is that the phrase "coasting into retirement" implies that you think the Sedins are starting to mail it in effort-wise because they're getting older, again something you can't prove.

Now if you care to clarify this statement, feel free.

Well, the entire team mailed it in for the playoffs, and they're the leaders, so there's that.

Well, the entire team mailed it in for the playoffs, and they're the leaders, so there's that.

The easy thing to do is:

1. Blame losing on not trying

2. Blame one or two players for the entire team supposedly not trying

It's not always that simple. No, I am not absolving them of blame, but they were still the team's most consistent players throughout the regular season and the playoffs (even if you think otherwise).

If the Sedins were truly mailing it in, they would have settled for being 45 point players like they were last season.

Draft Lottery and drafting in general is a crap shoot. You can't guarantee your self the 1st overall and you can't guarentee that the player your going to get (even in the top 5) is going to be winning type impact player, so i'd rather take our chances at going the Minnesota wild route. Build through signing players.

We have over 14 million in cap space being free'd up each year until the twins are gone so lets go after

2016 Milan Lucic

2017 Ryan Johansen

2018 Evander Kane

Think that is unrealistic, well so is expecting to get the next Toews

What to talk about retooling though. In 3 years just think

Baertschi Horvat Virtanen

Sedin Sedin Kassian

Shinkaruk McCann Hansen

Gaunce Cassels Kennins

9/12 players are first round picks. 6 of them are picked in the top 15.

Entering the draft with one pick in the top 100 doesn't really inspire confidence at this point. I think we're in for really tough times soon.

Benning said he'll try to get picks back. Maybe a mulligan on those re-tool players?

I agree that yes they are old and on the downslope of their career, but to say they are coasting to retirement is downright insulting.

Each and every summer they come into camp in better shape then anyone else on the teams, does that equal success? No but it sure as hell doesn't signify they've given up. Quite the opposite in fact

How can you bash on the Sedins... These guys just finished in the top 10 in league scoring as 35 year olds? Anybody in the NHL management would laugh at how us fans disrespect the two best players in our franchise history,. I don't think we're that far off at becoming contenders, if Jake & Bo can become franchise players which I don't see why not as there both top 10 picks and are built like horses we'll be fine.

This off-season and next season are huge for us, if we free up some spots by trading Higgins, letting go of Richardson/Vey for the young guys and being smart and offloading Vrbata for a 1st at deadling one of Hamhuis/Bieksa for a 1st(re-sign the other to a cheap contract). We would have 3 first round picks, and a boatload of money to attract 1 or 2 free agents( please Seabrook/Ladd). If the young guys Jake/Horvat/Kassian/Sven can take the next step like Calgarys young guys, along with the Sedins we will be in great position to succeed come 2016-2017.

Focus on the defense, and give young guys a chance to improve and we'll be fine. We have guys to be excited about Shink, McCann, Virtanen, Bo, Cassels, Sven and Kassian

Archived