The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) 2 year Plan

IMO the Canucks aren't that far off from being a contender once again. The Sedins proved there studs finishing in top 10 in scoring, Bo was a very good rookie and showed his offensive potential, Hansen played well in the playoffs, and we realized how valuable Burrows can be seeing how we missed his grit in the playoffs, Edler+Tanev proved to be very good top 4 d man, and the goal-tending depth is there with 2 legit goaltenders + Markstrom in the AHL looking to be ready. Next season we can almost guarantee to see Virtanen/Sven in the lineup. Benning keeps emphasizing how Jake is physically ready and Sven is playing strongly in the AHL right now. The number 1 priority for Benning should be defense and reconfiguring it, along with giving the young guys a chance.

Off-Season Trades

To San Jose: Ryan Miller

To Vancouver: 3rd round pick + Raffi Torres

Everybody on this forum seems to believe this is the best destination of Miller. San Jose is still going to be in win it now mode, and Miller proved he can still be the guy. The Canucks free 4 million in cap space in this trade, as we take Torres 2 million contract back and gain a 3rd round pick and San Jose gets a number 1 goaltender to go along with Stalock.

Trade Higgins to any team for either a 2nd/3rd

Not sure exactly what Higgins value is, but I just don't see him being here next year. I value Burrows/Hansen more then Higgins, and IMO one of the 3 need to go in order to open up a roster spot for a youngster

To NJ: Linden Vey + Yannik Weber

To Van: Ryan Ellis

Pretty even trade, doesn't need much explanation, Nashville gets a solid replacement for Ellis + a young forward that would fit in there top 9. Vey doesn't really have a place on our team going forward. Would like some feedback on this trade, not sure how it stands in fairness.

FA signing, Matt Letestu 2 year/4 million, Tyler Kennedy 1 year/1 million

2015-2016 Lineup

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Sven - Horvat - Vrbata

Torres - Bonino - Burrows

Dorsett - Letestu - Virtanen/Hansen

Call-ups Kennins/Jensen/Shink/Cassels

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Sbisa - Ellis

ex Clendenning/Corrado

Lack

Markstrom

2015-2016 Trade Deadline/Off Season Moves

Trade Vrbata for a 1st+prospect to a contender/fringe playoff team, Bieksa to an eastern conference team for a 2nd+3rd. Let Torres walk, re-sign Hamhuis to a cheaper deal, throw money at Ladd+Seabrook with the additional cap space. Both grew up playing together, teammates in Chicago, can come home finish off there career( Hopefully pans out similar to Suter+Parise going to Minny). If Sven, Kassian, Horvat, Virtanen take the right steps in there development and become legit top 6 forwards this team could be real deep by the time 2016-2017 comes around + multiple picks in the draft from dealing Vrbata+Bieksa at the trade deadline.

Sedin - Sedin - Virtanen

Sven - Horvat - Kassian

Ladd - Bonino - Burrows

Dorsett - Letestu - Hansen

(young guys Shink/Cassells/Kennins/Jensen/McCann knocking on the door)

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - Seabrook

Sbisa - Ellis

ex Clendenning/Corrado

Lack

Markstrom

In order for this team to be a contender, Horvat & the fellow youngsters have to develop into legit top 9 players that can produce and play physically. The Sedins will almost guranteed still be legit players and still contribute offensively.

Anyways, flame away or add additional feedback

Just a few things to point out for my opinion.

To NJ: Linden Vey + Yannik Weber

To Van: Ryan Ellis

Pretty even trade, doesn't need much explanation, Nashville gets a solid replacement for Ellis + a young forward that would fit in there top 9. Vey doesn't really have a place on our team going forward. Would like some feedback on this trade, not sure how it stands in fairness.

This is not an even trade, not even close. Ellis has Subban-like potential, though he is less physical. Pro-rated, Ellis is already having high 30s in points and most expect him to hit the 40s next year. I'm betting Nashville is smart and realizes his high ceiling.

*Also, I think you meant NSH, instead of NJ, but that's not a big deal

2015-2016 Trade Deadline/Off Season Moves

Trade Vrbata for a 1st+prospect to a contender/fringe playoff team, Bieksa to an eastern conference team for a 2nd+3rd. Let Torres walk, re-sign Hamhuis to a cheaper deal...

Vrbata will be have just one year left and be turning 35. I'm not counting on him to continue his production into his later years, so I doubt we can get a 1st+prospect for him. If we get a 1st alone, that's good enough.

Bieksa has a NTC and loves Vancouver. I wouldn't count on him waiving. However, that doesn't matter much, as his contract is up at the end of the 2015-16 season, effectively making his value equal to a 4th or 5th rounder, because he will be a pending UFA.

Lastly, don't count on Hamhuis signing for cheaper. The Sedins regressed and got a 900K pay raise. Expect something of a similar nature for Hamhuis, assuming we keep him. Also, he'll only be 33, so he could still have many good years left and demand a significant raise if he does well this upcoming year. (ex. $6M-ish).

The plan sounds decent, but there are a lot of assumptions built into it, as there would be in any plan.

Off-Season Trades

Everybody on this forum seems to believe this is the best destination of Miller. San Jose is still going to be in win it now mode, and Miller proved he can still be the guy. The Canucks free 4 million in cap space in this trade, as we take Torres 2 million contract back and gain a 3rd round pick and San Jose gets a number 1 goaltender to go along with Stalock.

Not everybody on CDC. A few of us keep trying to get people to remember that San Jose wanted nothing to do with Miller last year when he was a UFA.

As for San Jose being in "win it now" mode, that's not true. They are in the same kind of re-tool/youth movement that the Canucks are in. Both teams are a step and a half above mediocre, so getting younger and better is a priority.

Here's a quote from an article a year ago:

You can also rule out fellow California club San Jose. The word out of there is that the Sharks are going to continue to focus on their mini-rebuild and it’s about youth for them. Adding veterans players is not in the cards in San Jose.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/21/report-ducks-sharks-not-interested-in-ryan-miller/

People here can keep trying to shuttle Miller off to San Jose all that they want to. San Jose doesn't want him. He's a slightly above average goalie with deteriorating skills. Vancouver was one of the very very few teams that did want him when he was a free agent.

Everybody on this forum seems to believe this is the best destination of Miller. San Jose is still going to be in win it now mode, and Miller proved he can still be the guy. The Canucks free 4 million in cap space in this trade, as we take Torres 2 million contract back and gain a 3rd round pick and San Jose gets a number 1 goaltender to go along with Stalock. ...

I think you have the right idea here, but that SJ would likely decline.

There's no question taking Torres off their hands helps them offset the high salary and cap hit that comes with Miller. Miller is signed for two more seasons, Torres only one, so the relief going to SJ is really only an average of about $1 million a year off Miller's contract ($2.125 the first year, nothing the 2nd.)

With younger and probably better goalies out there I doubt SJ has enough enticement to choose Miller. While forums aren't a good place to get much of a sense of reality, it might be interesting to some that on hfboards there's a 6 page thread in the San Jose section entitled "Who do you think will be the next starting goalie for the Sharks in 2015-2016?" Many goalies names are mentioned, including Lack. Miller's name is not mentioned anywhere in the thread.

Much as many (certainly not all) on CDC would like to see JB reverse his decision to bring Miller in, I think he is going to be really difficult to trade because of his contract. The problem with the Miller signing is that the combination of salary, term and a limited ntc that offers Miller a large say means the Canucks pretty much committed themselves. Imo it would take a larger enticement than this proposal for Miller to be moved.

Trade Higgins to any team for either a 2nd/3rd

Not sure exactly what Higgins value is, but I just don't see him being here next year. I value Burrows/Hansen more then Higgins, and IMO one of the 3 need to go in order to open up a roster spot for a youngster ...

I can see the possibility of moving Higgins, but don't think it necessary. Our real difference is in what Torres brings. YOu have him as 3rd line LW, I think he's essentially finished as an NHL regular and is now a depth forward who hasn't been an NHL regular since 2012. I could see, for example, something like:

twins-Burrows; Baer-Bones-Kass; Higgins-Bo-Hansen; Dorsett-Richardson/UFA/Vey-Virtanen and still have Vey (unless 4C), Kenins, Torres if your first deal is made and Grenier in reserve, which would leave McMillan out of the picture. That's probably too many reserves to start a season so would leave Kenins and Grenier in Utica waiting for injuries.

So I think moving Higgins is optional, but would not be opposed to it. It might mean playing more youngsters than the Canucks feel ready to, but those youngsters might well be knocking the door down within a year anyway.

"FA signing, Matt Letestu 2 year/4 million, Tyler Kennedy 1 year/1 million"

Is this Mark Letestu of the Blue Jackets? What is the advantage of signing him or Kennedy as opposed to extending Richardson? This part I'm not understanding at all-Kennedy isn't included in your lineup and Letestu looks to me to be an essentially lateral move for more money. What am I missing?

Well, I love Mark Letestu, but I think Richardson is better anyway, and at least as cheap.

The thing about trading Miller (and Vrbata, as so many people seem to want), is that he is old and highly paid. But, that obvious point aside, I really don't think that signing FA's to multi-year deals and then trading them is the kind of thing that happens very often. It makes the organization look bad (maybe cost Nieuwendyck his job). You want to be able to sign FA's in the future, so you have to establish trust (something Doug Wilson has likely lost with his sign and trades). I really think Benning is going to try to be as good as his word so he can land some big fish down the road. Dealing a pending UFA at the deadline is a little different than a summer trade with multiple years left.

I am almost willing to bet money that Lack is dealt (perhaps to BUF for the 31st overall?). Let's not forget Markstrom's pedigree. He had the elite look before Florida screwed him over; Lack lacks that pedigree. I think Miller is perfect to shelter Markstrom and bring him along.

Ryan Ellis is a stud who hasn't quite found his stride, while Weber is a late-blooming project who will likely (IMO) only play three or four years as a regular in the bigs.

As far as Higgins goes, we definitely need to open cap and roster space so a forward being moved seems inevitable. We had a great PK this year and Burrows and Higgins both were key parts of that. Willie loves them because they are very reliable. Higgins looked great blocking some shots against Calgary. But how bout creating at the other end. Christ I am sick of watching this same bunch come up short. However, I can't see anyone trading for Burrows - I would love to see a buyout, but that is probably crazy. I think there may be two or three teams who missed the playoffs, have a tonne of young players, have a bad PK, and think that a 4th for Higgins might be worth it.

Trade 1. We don't need Torres. We have Dorsett. He does the same thing Torres does without the lack of discipline.

Miller for a 2nd would be just fine with me.

Trade 2. Works for me.

Trade 3. No way are we getting Ellis for two spare parts. Corrado and Jensen would be start, and even that wouldn't get it done.

Then during the season you want to let Torres walk? What? Then why include him in the trade????

Archived