The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Whats your recipe?

70seven

Over the years, it seems as though there's always a recipe for how to construct a Stanley Cup Champion. That recipe varies depending on the current style in the evolution of the game, and through whoms eys are watching.

What ingredients are a must have?

Here"s my recipe:

Start with the foundation.

-A consistent goaltender who's good enough to steal a game here and there, but very rarely will lose you the game himself. You dont NEED Pekka Rinne or Carey Price.

-A work horse franchise Dman. It seems as though every team to win the ultimate prize doesnt believe in playing a 3rd pair. Its ALL about the top 3 and more importantly the #1. You dont NEED to have youth in this department. You need your 2 all situation minute eating studs, who can be backed up by just above average seasoned vets. This ingredient is the most common among all successful champions.

-Clutch 2 way forwards down the middle. I dont think you NEED a generational talent in this role at all. You need a player that shows up when their backs are against the wall and arent prone to making mistakes when the pressure is on.

-Scoring wingers that consistently show compete. I dont believe the size and physicality hype train. Just observing the likes of Palat - Johnson - Kucherov.... Its ALL about their compete level, regardless of height and weight.

-Sprinkle in a bottom 6 that can play mostly mistake free and chip in a key goal here and there. Depth is good, but rolling 4 lines is not necessary. Its important for them to be a contributing part of the club, but a champions success does defiantly NOT depend on it.

When looking at the Blackhawks, they clearly have most of the ingredients listed. Id say that their goaltending is the weakest component, but they can check off everything else on the list.

Moving forward in Vancouver, Im actually fairly optimistic that many of the forementioned attributes are there, except for the most common ingredient in just about every champion... A franchise #1 Dman.

I've gone back and fourth on the concept of trading away Hamhuis and Edler, but the more I think about it... Isnt it time we went all in for some elite potential? Stop with the signing of these 2nd pairing dmen, and find yourself a legit top pair. Most likely to happen through the draft, but occasionally found via UFA if you have the cap space.

I realize that a move like that would severely cripple the teams competitiveness. But when looking at the competition and the fact that we lost to the Calgary Flames.... Is it not the perfect time to build something that you can see competing? We have a good group started. The battle of Horvat, Cassels, McCann down the middle, with skilled wingers that can skate in Shink, Baertschi.... some large gritty bodies in Kassian, Virtanen, Gaunce, and Grenier... THis forward group could use 1 more winger with skill and battle. I dont care how big or tough. he just has to compete. For me, Konecny could be that player.

I believe that Lack and Markstrom are both good enough. Not to mention Demko coming down the pipes.

The future D core actually has the 3-8 spots taken care of for the most part. A good mix of physical shutdown and a few pure offensive roles, but nothing close to a consistent 30 minute horse. That horse doesnt necessarily have to play an offensive role. He just has to be THE MAN every time he's on the ice.

IMO its time to go hard after that dman. Even if you have to sacrifice a season or two. Its the most important part on just about every champion you see, and until that happens, this franchise will continue to fall short.

edlers a 2 hamhuis a 4/5 tanev a 4 rest are 5/6 dmen

Usually #2s don't give up 4 goals in an elimination playoff game. Also 5v5 GA Edler was atrocious every year except for this one, in fact every year except this one he was worse than Sbisa. And Sbisa had his career worse by far...

my recipe would be to hire a gm that can build a team with all the elements needed and then hire a coach that can get the best out of his players...i'ld surround my team with smart knowledgeable hockey people...

Benning:-)

You need a mix of everything. Size, skill, grit and intensity. But above all I think you need the attitude. The relentless, unwavering, uncompromising attitude of "I will take this victory from them and embarrass the crap out them while doing it." You need that from everyone on your team, especially your core. This attitude is the kind of attitude that wins in the playoffs. It's the biggest thing the Kings and the Blackhawks have in common. Other than that they play opposite styles of games yet they both win.

I agree with you 70seven, Canucks have never really had #1-2 Dmen. Nearest was Erhoff. The twins run the 1st PP unit and no one right now can run the 2nd unit, Erhoff used to do that, and Sami Salo used to be the shot from the point and we do not have that now, Those types are hard to find but I beleive there are at least 3 this year and I think Benning should go hard to get one of the premuire ones instead of another 3-4 even if it means giving up another draft pick or 2 to get in on one of these guys. Would have to go from 23 down to the 10 range but would be worth it IMO. Last good Dman Canucks had was Luc Bourdon and he was never replaced!

I agree with you 70seven, Canucks have never really had #1-2 Dmen. Nearest was Erhoff. The twins run the 1st PP unit and no one right now can run the 2nd unit, Erhoff used to do that, and Sami Salo used to be the shot from the point and we do not have that now, Those types are hard to find but I beleive there are at least 3 this year and I think Benning should go hard to get one of the premuire ones instead of another 3-4 even if it means giving up another draft pick or 2 to get in on one of these guys. Would have to go from 23 down to the 10 range but would be worth it IMO. Last good Dman Canucks had was Luc Bourdon and he was never replaced!

Yeah, Canucks always seem to be missing that one D-man that other teams fear and are jealous of. They've had #1 goalies, top scorers, Selke, and Calders, but never a true Norris-caliber D-man.

I agree with you 70seven, Canucks have never really had #1-2 Dmen. Nearest was Erhoff. ...

I'm not sure you meant the word "never" which covers a long time. I'm also not sure you mean never had #1-2 Dmen, as in a 30 team NHL, that merely means, to be literal, someone in the top 60 defencemen in the NHL.

To use perhaps the most obvious example, it's pretty hard to argue that Ed Jovanovski, 6th in the Norris voting two years running while with the Canucks and having made the Canadian teams in the Olympics in 2002 and the World Cup in 2005, wasn't a first pair d-man.

To use a more current example, in a 30 team NHL Hamhuis was 10th in both the Norris and all-star balloting in 2012 and made the 2014 Canadian Olympic team. Was he really not worthy of being a 1st pair d-man in a 30 team NHL?

If one is looking for a Keith, Doughty or Weber, or something like the '70's Canadiens triumverate of Savard, Lapointe and Robinson, Canucks haven't had that. There aren't very many of those.

1 cup

There is no secret formula, that's the thing. A unique blend of players who all give it their all every game and adjust as necessary. Coaches who can tune in and get the most of their roster, while also adjusting to offset other coach's game plans.

Goaltending's huge and can be a dealbreaker in the playoffs.

It's having everything line up with a 100% effort. Even with 100% effort, there is no guarantee but you need that as the foundation. All in for the playoffs. We have regular season success...come playoffs, it's battling like you're in the trenches in a do or die manner. To do that and fall short takes a toll...batteries need recharging afterward.

There's a winner's mentality and drive amongst those who do get it done...they never quit. They take charge and matters into their hands and elevate their play and that hopefully rubs off on those around them. Puck luck, officiating, health/injury and, as stated before goaltending, all come into play and have to go right. It's not that easy....if it was a formula the secret would be out. Special players have the drive and determination that can really contribute but it's about firing on all cylinders and timing.

In order of importance of acquisition.

1. Franchise center

2. Second line center

3. Heavy minute bearing defensive/two way defenseman (#1D)

4. Puck moving defenseman (2nd pairing)

5. Adequate goaltender

6. Defensive depth

7. Winger depth

8. Other needs

... IMO in case anybody actually needed that to be thrown in.

You need a mix of everything. Size,skill, grit and intensity. But above all I think you need the attitude. The relentless, unwavering, uncompromising attitude of "I will take this victory from them and embarrass the crap out them while doing it." You need that from everyone on your team, especially your core. This attitude is the kind of attitude that wins in the playoffs. It's the biggest thing the Kings and the Blackhawks have in common. Other than that they play opposite styles of games yet they both win.

size/grit/ - Virtanen,Horvat,Tryamkin,Pedan,Hutton,Gaunce,Kenins,jensen

skill - Bartschi( as benign would pronounce it), shink,bo,virt,jensen

I agree with Deb.

You build a winning team coached by a coach who knows how to do his job.

That is why we almost took the cup against one of the most formidable teams around at the time, in fact you could say they were an ideal example of the OP's team.

Every Cup winner is slightly different and it's because they have taken years to brew up the right blend. We had it and imo Gillis spent 2 seasons destroying it instead of providing the little bit extra that would have made the difference.

There is no "magic formula" there is a "winning formula"

What I would add though and this is only my personal opinion, is it becomes that little bit harder if you lack physicality. It not only sustains you over the course but it drains your opponents.

Archived