[Proposal] Van-Edm

To Van

Nail Yakupov

To Edm

Eddie Lack

Chris Higgins

Frank Corrado

Brendan Gaunce

Edmonton gets a good veteran defensive 3rd liner in Higgins, a young starting goalie in Lack, a young defenseman who is NHL ready and a solid 2 way center prospect in Gaunce.

Pretty much all pieces Edmonton needs.

We get a legit top 6 forward prospect who has turned his game around since Eakins left. He's been pretty good in the NHL before and after Eakins but still underwhelming for a 1st overall. He still has 30+ goal potential imo.

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian -1

Baertschi-Bonino-Vrbata -2a

Virtanen-Horvat-Yakupov -2b

Dorsett-Richardson-Hansen

Vey

Kenins

Jensen

That top 9 is lethal. Tons of speed and skill.

Overpayment

I took out the draft pick, but most of those pieces we don't need.

We really don't need Lack with Markstrom and Demko, Higgins needs to go, and we have Clendening and Stanton needing to get in the line up so Corrado can also be moved.

Don't really want to give up Gaunce but Cassels and Friesen are similiar.

Yakupov will be 50-70 point player in him prime imo. He will add a lot of speed and skill to our line up and help our pp.

Seems similar to the Seguin trade in a way, we really don't lose much since the prospects mentioned aren't proven, higgins is stale core and lack is expendable. However since goalies aren't in high demand I could see us possibly having to throw in say a 2nd/3rd round 2015 pick and they throw in a 4th round 2015.

I know that many people on this board think Yakupov is entering "bust" category, but he started lighting it up after Eakins was fired. The Oilers aren't going to trade him away because his potential is still higher than his value atm. See how he does in a full season with a different coach.

I took out the draft pick, but most of those pieces we don't need.

We really don't need Lack with Markstrom and Demko, Higgins needs to go, and we have Clendening and Stanton needing to get in the line up so Corrado can also be moved.

Don't really want to give up Gaunce but Cassels and Friesen are similiar.

Yakupov will be 50-70 point player in him prime imo. He will add a lot of speed and skill to our line up and help our pp.

Now that you've taken out Vancouver's draft pick, take the players that you have listed, break down their average market return if you parted them out one at a time and then ask yourself if you'd still want to make the trade.

You guys are dillusional - Yak started scoring almost at a PPG pace once they fired their coach... the kid is still an amazing talent and the Oilers aren't going to give him up for a bunch of cast offs and unproven prospects... Expect a big season from him next year for sure

Total overpayment. Why would you want to trade with the Oil and take on a Russian attitude.

Only thing I disagree about is the "attitude" part. Of all the Russian players in the league there are probably only a handful that don't carry attitude, and Yak is one of them. He proved it in Junior and he proved it by taking a demotion as a pro. If ever there was an opportunity for him to bolt to the KHL (as I predicted he would when Edmonton drafted him) it was when he was demoted from a crap team to the A...but he hung in there, bounced back and actually impressed me a bit.

But honestly, Edmonton might be light years ahead by trading Eberle (current high value and return) than moving Yak. Give him Eberle's icetime and let him prove he can be a cheaper alternative to Eberle.

IMHO Edmonton can move Eberle, Draisaitl and Pittsburgh's 1st to get a veteran PMD and a goalie...that will instantly make them a better team (Yak moves into Eberle's spot, plus add the PMD and the starter G), and they may even challenge for a Wilcard spot.

Only thing I disagree about is the "attitude" part. Of all the Russian players in the league there are probably only a handful that don't carry attitude, and Yak is one of them. He proved it in Junior and he proved it by taking a demotion as a pro. If ever there was an opportunity for him to bolt to the KHL (as I predicted he would when Edmonton drafted him) it was when he was demoted from a crap team to the A...but he hung in there, bounced back and actually impressed me a bit.

But honestly, Edmonton might be light years ahead by trading Eberle (current high value and return) than moving Yak. Give him Eberle's icetime and let him prove he can be a cheaper alternative to Eberle.

IMHO Edmonton can move Eberle, Draisaitl and Pittsburgh's 1st to get a veteran PMD and a goalie...that will instantly make them a better team (Yak moves into Eberle's spot, plus add the PMD and the starter G), and they may even challenge for a Wilcard spot.

Edm would be dumb to give up on Leon, He's going to be one of the best second line centers in the league when he hits his prime. He's far more suited for the 2nd line role than RNH, A 1-2 punch with McDavid and Leon in 3-4 years is going to be deadly, A mix of size and skill. Plus you add in the return you'd get for RNH.

But yes I don't think they give up on Yak yet. This year they have 3 picks in the first 35 selections and really after Mcdavid they don't really have the need to be stock piling up more picks. They'd be better off trading the 16th overall and filling some roster holes such as goaltending.

Edm would be dumb to give up on Leon, He's going to be one of the best second line centers in the league when he hits his prime. He's far more suited for the 2nd line role than RNH, A 1-2 punch with McDavid and Leon in 3-4 years is going to be deadly, A mix of size and skill. Plus you add in the return you'd get for RNH.

But yes I don't think they give up on Yak yet. This year they have 3 picks in the first 35 selections and really after Mcdavid they don't really have the need to be stock piling up more picks. They'd be better off trading the 16th overall and filling some roster holes such as goaltending.

Good point, but I wasn't insinuating that they were "giving up" on Draisaitl...it had more to do with trade value. And of course they would get more for RNH, but if they move both RNH and Eberle then they might be in cap trouble and they'll have to sign another Horcoff deal just to hit the cap floor. So it's Eberle and Draisaitl out, McDavid + PMD + starter in...it's more of a balancing act for them...they have trouble signing F/A's for reasonable $ because of the cap floor...they end up overspending. This way they're utilizing talent they already own to balance the lineup and the cap.

I think that Edmonton will give up one of their precious top picks only for a legit top pairing D.

They realize that a goalie without decent D in front of him can struggle. It has happened multiple times there.

4 assets in return for Yak is rich. 3 is more acceptable from the Canucks standpoint: Lack, Higgins, Corrado would work for the Canucks but probably not for Edmonton.

Yak's play improved because he developed chemistry with Derek Roy imo. Coincidental with Eakins firing. Maybe both things together explain his improvement.

To Van

Nail Yakupov

To Edm

Eddie Lack

Chris Higgins

Frank Corrado

Brendan Gaunce

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian -1

Baertschi-Bonino-Vrbata -2a

Virtanen-Horvat-Yakupov -2b

Dorsett-Richardson-Hansen

Vey

Kenins

Jensen

Burrows isn't included in the trade but is missing from the lineup.

You guys are dillusional - Yak started scoring almost at a PPG pace once they fired their coach... the kid is still an amazing talent and the Oilers aren't going to give him up for a bunch of cast offs and unproven prospects... Expect a big season from him next year for sure

Perhaps we're seeing illusions but we aren't delusional.

Eakins was fired December 15, 2014.

From Dec 15 to the end of the season Yakupov played 50 games, scoring 6 goals and 9 assists for 15 pts (0.3 ppg.)

Before Eakins firing, from the beginning of the season through December 14, Yakupov scored 3 g + 3 ast =6 pts in 31 games (0.19 ppg.)

So, his scoring pace improved after the Eakins firing, but 0.3 ppg is a lot less than "almost a ppg pace."

I also looked at whether Yak improved more as the season went on. From Feb 1 to the end of the season Yakupov played 31 games, scoring 5 goals and 7 assists for 12 points (0.39 ppg.) That's a further increase but still a long, long way from "almost a ppg."

All stats from war-on-ice.com, select player stats, filter player name Yakupov, then use date range.

Archived