The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

New York man dies after being shot by police stun gun

http://cnews.canoe.com/CNEWS/World/2015/05/31/22427806.html

SYRACUSE - A man in northwest New York state died on Sunday after being shot with a stun gun by police who said he rushed at officers with a clenched fist during a confrontation, Rochester police said.

Police responded on Sunday morning to reports that a man driving a red pickup truck had crashed into a car and then a church and then fled on foot, Police Chief Michael Ciminelli told a news conference.

With police at the scene, the man returned and climbed into his truck, defying police orders. He then backed up, crashing into a street sign, a fence, and then drove the truck into a house.

Ciminelli told reporters the man "aggressively exited the vehicle, charging in the direction of officers" with a clenched fist, and he refused to obey their verbal commands.

"An officer on scene decided to use a less-than-lethal option and he used his Taser to stop the suspect," Ciminelli said.

The man was briefly handcuffed afterward, but released so firefighters could provide medical attention. The man was transported to an area hospital where he was later pronounced dead.

The Rochester Democrat and Chronicle newspaper, citing family members, identified the man as Richard Gregory Davis, a 50-year-old black man, who was a father of six and a former Marine.

You just know how this would end up turning out if it gets enough coverage in the states...right back to square one..

what a way to go though eh

driving a red pickup truck had crashed into a car and then a church and then fled on foot, With police at the scene, the man returned and climbed into his truck, defying police orders. He then backed up, crashing into a street sign, a fence, and then drove the truck into a house. the man "aggressively exited the vehicle, charging in the direction of officers" with a clenched fist, and he refused to obey their verbal commands.

There are idiots that will actually believe that. I would hate being a cop in the states, they can never win

2 or more shots center mass is a win in my books...

Man, I miss the days of CS... life was so easy bsack then

Clenched fist? They need a taser for a 50 year old unarmed guy? Back in the day cops werent bitches and would just beat the guy down with batons.

My exact problem with police these days (though in this case it is just an unfortunate tragedy). If an unarmed man attacks you (as a cop), that gives you the right to shoot him. How is a fist more threatening than a gun?

My exact problem with police these days (though in this case it is just an unfortunate tragedy). If an unarmed man attacks you (as a cop), that gives you the right to shoot him. How is a fist more threatening than a gun?

So every cop should diffuse a situation by hand to hand combat?

What if he has a knife?

Stop treating criminals as victims.

Police need to protect themselves too. Here's a little tip I use to prevent being tazed, don't run at police in a threatening manner.

So every cop should diffuse a situation by hand to hand combat?

What if he has a knife?

Stop treating criminals as victims.

Police need to protect themselves too. Here's a little tip I use to prevent being tazed, don't run at police in a threatening manner.

Fair enough, but if you're going to shoot the guy, aim lower, around his legs.

And get punched in the face when your taser misses the skinny moving objects? Good idea!

Real life is not movies, cops do not shoot tasters or guns at legs that are constantly moving. They shoot the biggest target that doesn't move nearly as much, which is your torso.

PTSD --- legalize molly

I'd be curious about more of his history (besides him being a former marine). Did he have previous criminal activity or was this isolated? If he was a life long criminal or someone with an open warrant, then maybe he flipped. We don't even know what he saw for action for if he had PTSD.

Having said that, the way this went down I'd suggest mental illness of some sort played a part. Just a strange, strange situation.

You do realize what a stun gun is, right? If they were using a hand gun, then sure, try and disable him first, but why would they use a hand gun on an unarmed man?

For those who didn't read the article...

He crashed his car into another car then a church and fled the scene leaving his vehicle. He then returned for his vehicle and ignored police orders getting back into his vehicle and endangering more lives by crashing into a sign, fence, and then into someones home. Then to top it off he got out of the truck and charged at the officers.

After all of that the cops still opted to use what is normally a non lethan method to take him down.

How in the hell does anyone not side with the cops on this? If anything they should have used more force sooner and prevented him from causing even more damage.

I'd be curious about more of his history (besides him being a former marine). Did he have previous criminal activity or was this isolated? If he was a life long criminal or someone with an open warrant, then maybe he flipped. We don't even know what he saw for action for if he had PTSD.

Having said that, the way this went down I'd suggest mental illness of some sort played a part. Just a strange, strange situation.

You do realize what a stun gun is, right? If they were using a hand gun, then sure, try and disable him first, but why would they use a hand gun on an unarmed man?

Of course I do, but I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about cops who use a hand gun, a weapon that fires metal faster than sound, at an unarmed man. As I stated, the case OP is talking about is an unfortunate tragedy.

Archived