The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Zuccarello Suffered Brain Contusion, temp. lost ability to speak, after puck to the head

http://nypost.com/2015/06/01/rangers-zuccarello-couldnt-speak-for-4-days-after-slap-shot-to-head/

Mats Zuccarello is extremely confident he will be ready to rejoin the Rangers on the ice when training camp begins in the fall, a feat more remarkable considering the winger revealed Monday that he was unable to speak and lost feeling in his arm for a few days after getting hit in the head by a Ryan McDonagh slap shot in Game 5 of their first round series against the Penguins, on April 24.

Zuccarello, officially diagnosed with a brain contusion, said he was in the hospital for three days and is still undergoing speech therapy.

I dont know what you guys know, but there was a small fracture in my head, Zuccarello said at the team facility, speaking for the first time since suffering the injury. I couldnt talk for awhile. There was some blood in my brain. That affects a lot. Now I go to speech therapy. I couldnt say a word for four days, but now I feel much better and will be getting better and better.

I lost everything. It was scary, but the doctors were really good and made sure I knew I was going to be healthy. After awhile, I was just happy to recover quickly.

Though Zuccarello skated with the team in practices during the Eastern Conference finals, the 27-year-old said there was only a small chance he would have been able to return for the Stanley Cup finals.

The creative wing, whose scoring was desperately missed during the playoffs, said it was difficult for him to watch from the side, not knowing when hed be able to return, but doctors have told him he will make a full recovery and shouldnt be affected by the injury next season.

Ill rest a little bit longer and recover and come in time for the season ready to go, Zuccarello said. The doctors said Im going to be fine. Ill take the summer and rest.

Ouch, scary stuff.

Reallly?

there's abolustely no doubt. The rangers could've suffered anyone else getting injured on their roster except for zucc or henrik. Zucc being injured threw their entire lineups into a blender and nash never really had that chemistry with anyone else. Plus the heart factor that zucc brought with every shift, there's no way I could see rangers not going to finals, and they wouldn't have needed 7 games either.

Sticks have improved puck velocity, but helmets have not kept pace. In the least this calls attention to this concern.

Much like the new concussion helmets used in baseball. They look dumb, but that shouldn't matter when it comes to brain health.

if he was healthy, Rangers would be in the finals

You say this as if it's fact, not your usual BS speculation...

Sticks have improved puck velocity, but helmets have not kept pace. In the least this calls attention to this concern.

I read an article about an experiment by Virginia Tech where they tested hockey helmets. Almost all received very weak scores. They are coming out with new football helmets now that apparently do a much better job of protection, so the same is possible for hockey.

Archived