The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Devils to hire John Hynes as Head Coach

Devils to name John Hynes next head coach at Tuesday press conference:

The Devils will name John Hynes as their next head coach, a source confirmed Monday evening. Hynes is the current head coach for the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins, the American Hockey League affiliate of the Pittsburgh Penguins.

The press conference is expected to be at noon on Tuesday.

Hynes, 40, has spent five seasons in Wilkes Barre/Scranton, leading the team to back-to-back Eastern Conference Final appearances. He has close ties with Devils general manager Ray Shero, who was with the Penguins from 2006-14.

Hynes played four seasons of collegiate hockey at Boston University, helping the Terriers win the 1995 NCAA national title.

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2015/06/devils_to_name_john_hynes_next_head_coach_at_tuesd.html

Another Rookie NHL Coach... Getting tough out there for the experienced guys.

Yeah, there are many experienced guys out there who are currently avaliable. Some I could think of are: Claude Noel, John Tortorella, Ron Wilson, Marc Crawford, Jacques Martin, Andy Murray, Guy Boucher, Brent Sutter, Ted Nolan, Peter Horachek, Mike Keenan... and the list goes on...

Yeah, there are many experienced guys out there who are currently avaliable. Some I could think of are: Claude Noel, John Tortorella, Ron Wilson, Marc Crawford, Jacques Martin, Andy Murray, Guy Boucher, Brent Sutter, Ted Nolan, Peter Horachek, Mike Keenan... and the list goes on...

They should go back to AHL/Junior and prove they can still coach.

Travis Green will start to generate interest from NHL teams in the next couple of years. If he coaches the Comets to a Calder Cup win this month his value increases. There is a possibility the Canucks coaches would have the AHL grand prize in consecutive years. Travis is a rising star in pro-hockey ranks and it would be great to be able to retain him in some capacity with the big club.

I like seeing new coaches get a chance. Sure, it sucks for the experienced guys, but they had there chance and couldn't stick the landing of staying in the NHL. Besides, John Hynes is only 40 and seems like he could go the distance as an NHL head coach. I'm just glad nobody made a real play for Travis Green this season, though next year, I suspect he'll land an NHL job.

Travis Green will start to generate interest from NHL teams in the next couple of years. If he coaches the Comets to a Calder Cup win this month his value increases. There is a possibility the Canucks coaches would have the AHL grand prize in consecutive years. Travis is a rising star in pro-hockey ranks and it would be great to be able to retain him in some capacity with the big club.

easy bud, getting a bit ahead of yourself there.

Archived