VAN:

Radim Vrbata

Eddie Lack

Frank Corrado

2015 1st Rd. Pick

SJS:

Tomas Hertl

2015 1st Rd. Pick

Vancouver gets a young center who can be a top line threat one day soon. San Jose gets a scorer and all-star, a young defenseman with Top 4 potential, and a goalie to share the load with Alex Stalock.

VAN:

2015 1st Rd. Pick (via SJS)

Jared McCann

Nicklas Jensen

NJD:

2015 1st Rd. Pick

Eric Gelinas

Vancouver receives an almost guaranteed chance to draft Wheat Kings gem Ivan Provorov as well as a snappy defensive prospect, and New Jersey gets a potential Top 6 W, and a center of the future that they need oh so badly, whether it's McCann, Barzal, Zacha, or two of those three.

VAN:

Jannik Hansen

WPG:

2015 3rd Rd. Pick

Hansen gives WPG grit and secondary scoring from the bottom two lines at a relatively cheap price, and Benning recoups a pick.

VAN:

Chris Higgins

CGY:

2015 2nd Rd. Pick (VAN)

Talk about recouping a pick. Higgins gets to be a veteran on a young and powerful team in Calgary (while avoiding the pressure of playing in his hometown at the same time), while the Canucks get a late 2nd round pick in return.

EDM - McDavid

BUF - Eichel

ARZ - Strome/Hanifin/Marner

TOR - Hanifin/Strome/Marner

CAR - Marner/Hanifin/Strome

VAN - Provorov

With Provorov in the system and Gelinas and Hertl ready to step into the lineup, the Canucks should be set for the future (Imagine Hertl, Horvat, and Cassels down the middle!). In free agency, Benning would sign Mikkel Boedker to replace the scoring of Radim Vrbata and to transition in prospects into the top 12.

Benning also would release Brad Richardson and Shawn Matthias to free agency in this scenario.

Sedin(35 at season's start)-Sedin(35)-Boedker(25)

Baertschi(23)-Hertl(21)-Kassian(24)

Shinkaruk(21)-Horvat(20)-Virtanen(19)

Burrows(34)-Bonino(27)-Dorsett(28)

Vey(24)

Edler(29)-Tanev(25)

Hamhuis(32)-Gelinas(24)

Clendening(22)-Sbisa(25)

Bieksa(34)

Miller(35)

Markstrom(25)

This roster would be at approximately $1M-$3M under the Salary Cap, so there is some wiggle room for trades and such. And the average age would be 26.7, which is very close to the mid-20s age that Benning wants.

Thoughts?

I envision this as being too perfect to be true. However, I think you'd have to throw in a prospect a little more enticing than Corrado to get SJ to bite on that deal. Otherwise, I love it! Especially the SJ/NJD part.

My dream for this year's draft is that we SOMEHOW find a way to draft Provorov.

Then I'd move Hamhuis (insert another piece or two if you wish) for Edmonton's 16th to draft Connor/Harkins/Konecny/Dergachev (a centre to replace McCann).

Hamhuis waives to go to EDM because Smithers and PG are just down the highway, their future looks bright (more so now with McJesus), and because he knows that it would be for the greater good of the team.

I wouldn't be surprised. Although, I'd rather get a winger like Svechnikov or the like at that spot to beef up our RW prospects.

I wouldn't be surprised. Although, I'd rather get a winger like Svechnikov or the like at that spot to beef up our RW prospects.

That would work too. As you know, I had mentioned taking Svechnikov with EDM's 16th pick in my [proposal] thread I created not too long ago.

Tbh, I'd just take the BPA (at forward) with that pick. In that light, Svech would be my guy, unless a guy like Barzal, Zacha, or Rantanen (absolute beauty; I have him ranked at 7th (just behind Provorov at 6th)) falls.

That would work too. As you know, I had mentioned taking Svechnikov with EDM's 16th pick in my [proposal] thread I created not too long ago.

Tbh, I'd just take the BPA (at forward) with that pick. In that light, Svech would be my guy, unless a guy like Barzal, Zacha, or Rantanen (absolute beauty; I have him ranked at 7th (just behind Provorov at 6th)) falls.

Yeah. I wouldn't be surprised if one of those did actually fall.

Trades are pretty fair value (although you'd probably have to add a better prospect than Corrado to the San Jose trade), but I doubt San Jose does that trade, because they are in essentially the exact same situation as we are so they will value Hertl and that early first more than the pieces coming from our end.

Hertl took 83 faceoffs in 82 games last year. He's been converted to wing. McCann has more of a chance of becoming a "1C" than Hertl. San Jose doesn't have much use for Vrbata either. But I don't mind the idea of using Lack, a D prospect and our 1st to get San Jose's 1st.

Going after Gelinas is a good idea, as is trying to land Provorov. However, I think trading McCann would be counter-productive.

Hansen for a 3rd is terrible. His value is much higher than that, not only on the market, but especially to Vancouver. His speed, grit, and adaptability are essential for our team.

Trading Higgins for a late 2nd is not a bad idea. However, I imagine Calgary is probably on his NTC list.

No way SJ does this. 2 UFAs in a year, a fringe 5-6 NHL defence man that will not be waiver exempt and a mid-late first rounder won't get you the 9th overall or Hertl individually, let alone both. I am all for moving up, but there is a reason it does not happen often. Prices are just too steep. In today's cap world, young talented players are too valuable.

You are being very greedy in the first trade; either trade for Hertl or trade for the 1st, as it makes no sense for a rebuilding team to give up both.

The 2nd trade looks fair, maybe an overpayment on our side, but it is a possibillity.

Hansen for a third is good a trade, even if Winnipeg isn't the team (I understand than Jannik has history there and lives there during the summer, but Winnipeg has quite a bit of depth up front).

I don't see Calgary giving up a 2nd rounder for a tweener forward since they have a solid top 9 and could pick up a Higgins-type player in FA. I think we'll be lucky to get a 2nd rounder for Higgins TBH.

^ what c00kies said

trade for 9th or trade for hertl... SJS is not going to trade both away

I would think Hansen is worth more than a 3rd no? good 3rd / great 4th liner adds speed and good forechecking on term for reasonable $$

Archived