The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Proposal (VAN-WPG-SJ)

Haven't made a proposal in a while… Lets go.

To Van

Josh Morrissey

WPG 2nd round pick. (47th overall)

To WPG

Nick Jensen

Jannik Hansen

Andrey Pedan

SJ 2nd (39 overall)

To SJ

Eddie Lack

Why Van does this:

• Josh Morrissey is a blue chip defensive prospect. I've always been impressed by his play. After the world juniors, I came out sold on both Madison Bowey and Josh Morrissey. His first pass out of the zone is incredible. He has a shot to boot, can skate with the best of them, and is very responsible defensively. He's listed at 6 foot, 190 pounds, but the kid still seems to have developed a solid physical game. I've seen him lay out his fair share of guys on the ice. Overall I just believe he will be big time. No way we pry out Bowey out of Washington I don't think, but I think Morrissey is plenty possible. Plus, he's also best friends with Hunter Shinkaruk. Uniting them could see some great dividends knowing both of their competitive spirits.
  • Winnipegs second round pick is the 47th overall. Not much else to say, draft the best player possible around there. I would love to see Rasmus Andersson fall that far, or maybe even a Ryan Gropp, but 47 players deep, you have no idea what GMs are thinking. I considered dropping this to a third but eh...

Why Wpg does this:

• Nicklas Jensen frustrates me. The dude has all the tools to be dominant. 6'3, 200 pounds, and is a smooth skater to boot. I would argue, that aside from Virtanen, he is our best skating forward. Maybe McCann and Shinkaruk can change that in the future. He can also pick corners as we have even seen in short bursts on the NHL level. However, he is the prime example of a player who lacks consistency. Vancouvers environment seems not to be working for him, but still, you can't deny his talent. Could a change of scenery give him a Sven Baertschi like jump? Still, a quality prospect up front.
  • Jannik Hansen is a speedy, gritty forward. I don't want to lose him personally, but you have to give to get, and we do have to start making bottom 6 room for future players. His wife is also from Winnipeg, so it could be a great fit for them Hansen Jensen and Ehlers all also have the Danish connection thing too. It could have great dividends.
  • Andrey Pedan acts as a consolation for Morrissey. Left side defensman, who may actually be NHl ready inn a season or two. This goes to WPG adding grit and size to their already heavy team.
  • They upgrade their 2nd rounder up a couple of spots to the 39th overall rather than the 47th. They would be giving up one of their top prospects, but that is a hefty return for a prospect none the less.

Why SJ does this:

• Eddie Lack. Apparently it seems like Eddie Lack is on the trade block, and SJ seems like a fitting dance partner. This one is the simplest of the three. San Jose loses their second and get Eddie Lack, a great backup, and possible starter. He's only 27 so it's pretty fair value. I'll miss that goofball but Markstrom is a stud. I'm hoping he can be the next Ben Bishop. Please… if there is a God… anyway.. I digress

To summarize.

Winnipeg loses Josh Morrissey, a top blue line prospect. However, in return they receive a very talented forward in Nick Jensen, who all he needs is some, if at all, consistency, Jannik Hansen, a speedy skilled forward that they can insert into their lineup immediately, who is also on a cheap contract. In doing so, they possibly help Nick Ehlers development with the presence of fellow Danes, and in Jensen's case, a Danish Canadian. Andrey Pedan adds grit and size to an already heavy team, making them even tougher in the playoffs. They also move up a couple spots in the draft. SJ gets Eddie Lack, a talented goalie that they can use for next season, and very likely, many years to come.

Thoughts? How would you tweak? Or do you think it's good how it is?

In my world, if I got this trade through, I would immediately go with the following moves this offseason. (Burrows would most likely also have to be traded for cap space reasons. I love the dude but we would have a solid team still.)

Sedin Sedin Kassian

Baertschi Bonino Vrbata

Higgins Horvat Santorelli

Kenins Vey Dorsett

Edler Tanev

hamhuis Franson

Sbisa Bieksa

Miller

Markstrom

At the draft this are also a couple of players I would target

With the 23rd

Daniel Sprong

Travis Konecny

Timo meier

Nick Merkley

Jeremy Roy

With the 47th

Rasmus Andersson

Ryan Gropp

Why Wpg does this:

• Nicklas Jensen frustrates me. The dude has all the tools to be dominant. 6'3, 200 pounds, and is a smooth skater to boot. I would argue, that aside from Virtanen, he is our best skating forward. Maybe McCann and Shinkaruk can change that in the future. He can also pick corners as we have even seen in short bursts on the NHL level. However, he is the prime example of a player who lacks consistency. Vancouvers environment seems not to be working for him, but still, you can't deny his talent. Could a change of scenery give him a Sven Baertschi like jump? Still, a quality prospect up front.
  • Jannik Hansen is a speedy, gritty forward. I don't want to lose him personally, but you have to give to get, and we do have to start making bottom 6 room for future players. His wife is also from Winnipeg, so it could be a great fit for them Hansen Jensen and Ehlers all also have the Danish connection thing too. It could have great dividends.
  • Andrey Pedan acts as a consolation for Morrissey. Left side defensman, who may actually be NHl ready inn a season or two. This goes to WPG adding grit and size to their already heavy team.
  • They upgrade their 2nd rounder up a couple of spots to the 39th overall rather than the 47th. They would be giving up one of their top prospects, but that is a hefty return for a prospect none the less.

All of the things you listed are not selling factors for the Jets at all. "Nicklas Jensen frustrates me." OK.

The Chevy and Co. have been building that team from within, and it's been working like gangbusters for them. But I'll break down all of your selling points.

1. Jensen would be very far down on their depth chart for rookie prospects and sophomore players. At best right now, he's a third line player on an underwhelming team. The Jets already have Lowry playing on the third line, and he's well ahead in development than Jensen. Ehlers and Petan will both be fighting it out next year to make the team, with Ehlers likely making it. Scott Kosmachuk is has also been playing very well and it is believed he may be on their 4th line as early as next season.

2. Since the Jets are not a team that currently spends to the cap, adding in Hansen also doesn't make much sense. Sure, he has a low cap hit, but this is a team that is currently in a pickle starting July 1st with contracts. Jacob Trouba, Mark Scheifele, Adam Lowry, Andrew Ladd, and are all looking for extensions. They are likely trading Byfuglien at the draft, but adding in Hansen at $2.5M, when they have younger players who are ready to play on the 3rd line for a fraction of the cost just doesn't make a lot of sense.

3. Pedan is NOT a consolation prize for Morrissey. Morrissey might be ready next year, but definitely the year after. If Byfuglien is traded, then it's because they expect Morrissey to make the jump right away.

If the Canucks wanted Morrissey, then they should have drafted him instead of Horvat. By all accounts this makes no sense for the Jets.

Archived