The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Miss Piggy to be honored with feminist award

TOMapleLaughs

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Screen and TV star, diva and beloved Muppet, Miss Piggy, is being recognized for her contributions to society with a feminist award at the Brooklyn Museum in New York on Thursday.

The glamorous, outspoken pig will receive the award at the evening ceremony from the Elizabeth A. Sackler Center for Feminist Art. The presentation will include a conversation with veteran women's rights campaigner Gloria Steinem and a 20-minute video retrospective of Miss Piggy's career.

"Moi is thrilled, but frankly, not surprised to be receiving this Sackler Center First Award," Miss Piggy said in a statement.

"It is truly wonderful to be celebrated and share this honor with fellow legends, role models, and pioneers of female fabulosity. We rock!"

Miss Piggy's long-time squeeze, Kermit the Frog, will be in the audience for the ceremony.

The annual Sackler Center First Awards honor extraordinary women who are first in their fields. Elizabeth A. Sackler, the president of the center for feminist art, theory and advocacy for women's issues, said Miss Piggy embodies exceptional spirit, determination and grit and has taught important lessons about overcoming obstacles to generations of fans.

Miss Piggy starred in "The Muppet Show," that ran from 1976 to 1981, and has appeared in films, including 2014's "Muppets Most Wanted."

http://news.yahoo.com/miss-piggy-honored-feminist-award-brooklyn-museum-172219930.html

Funny, I always considered her to be a bit of a man-hater, er, frog-hater.

miss-piggy-karate-chop-o.gif

Hiiiiiiyaaa!

I guess if Caitlyn Jenner can win a Courage Award over an army vet who's lost some of his limbs (and still participates in running events) and a girl who played basketball until she died of cancer, this shouldn't come as a surprise.

Never liked Ms. Piggy and my first thought on seeing the title of this thread was "What? She gets honoured for physical abuse against a frog?" She is all sorts of WRONG as any sort of role model.

The annual Sackler Center First Awards honor extraordinary women who are first in their fields

First in her field for what? Being a pig with 'tude on television while performing Lissamphibia assault?

The awarding of this honour makes the moderate feminist inside me cringe with embarrassment.

I guess if Caitlyn Jenner can win a Courage Award over an army vet who's lost some of his limbs (and still participates in running events) and a girl who played basketball until she died of cancer, this shouldn't come as a surprise.

11350600_392599097598170_643586368531657

I forgot the celebrity but I remember she karate-chopped a female guest backstage in Kermit's office.

If there was one female muppet who represented strength and kindness at the same time, it was Sesame Street's Prairie Dawn. Very pretty girl who demonstrated leadership in her plays and she played the piano as well. Prairie always put any of the casted monsters in their place whenever either one of them got out of line or said the wrong line.

Leaders(ie. Prairie Dawn) lead. Bullies(ie. Miss Piggy) bully.

I forgot the celebrity but I remember she karate-chopped a female guest backstage in Kermit's office.

If there was one female muppet who represented strength and kindness at the same time, it was Sesame Street's Prairie Dawn. Very pretty girl who demonstrated leadership in her plays and she played the piano as well. Prairie always put any of the casted monsters in their place whenever either one of them got out of line or said the wrong line.

Leaders(ie. Prairie Dawn) lead. Bullies(ie. Miss Piggy) bully.

I loved Prairie Dawn, she was one of my faves as a kid.

Also I love the last line in your post, so true and so many don't understand the difference.

The Prairie Dawn suggestion is pretty sound. I watched me some old school Sesame Street, back when nobody on the show believed there was a Snuffy except Big Bird. When you think about it, it's a bit absurd. All these orange and blue monsters on the steet laughing at Big Bird about the possibility of a Snuffleoffagus or however you spell his name.

Archived