The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Just a thought on Home Ice Advantage

HKSR

As we currently have it in most hockey leagues (NHL, AHL, CHL, etc), the format for playoffs is either 2-2-2-1 (2 home-2 away-2 home-1 away) or 2-3-2 (2 home-3 away-2 home).

The first format of 2-2-2-1 isn't bad as the home team gets 4 of the first 6 games at home, but it is even through the first 4 games of the series.

The second format to me isn't even an advantage in some cases. Having only 2 out of the first 5 games at home isn't beneficial at all.

What I was thinking was a 3-2-1-1 (3 home-2 away-1 home-1 away). Imagine having the first 3 games of a series on home ice? That's a huge advantage in most circumstances. Then you also have 4 of the first 6 games at home (similar to the 2-2-2-1 format). This would give huge incentive to win home ice advantage IMO.

I dunno, just a thought while I'm bored at work.

Thoughts?

As we currently have it in most hockey leagues (NHL, AHL, CHL, etc), the format for playoffs is either 2-2-2-1 (2 home-2 away-2 home-1 away) or 2-3-2 (2 home-3 away-2 home).

Ummm... I'm pretty sure the format is typicaly 2-2-1-1-1. I don't think I've ever seen 2-2-2-1.

What I was thinking was a 3-2-1-1 (3 home-2 away-1 home-1 away). Imagine having the first 3 games of a series on home ice? That's a huge advantage in most circumstances. Then you also have 4 of the first 6 games at home (similar to the 2-2-2-1 format). This would give huge incentive to win home ice advantage IMO.

I dunno, just a thought while I'm bored at work.

Thoughts?

Your idea would never happen. If the higher seed swept the series, the lower seed would only have one game at home. Owners will never go for that.

Archived