The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Malkin Open To Trade

I don't think so.... If they would it would show you they don't/haven't ever given a frack about winning a cup, because playing with Crosby and Letang on a PowerPlay would be their best chance at success. Vancouver isn't the have all/be all. I remember 3 years ago when people said Kesler would never leave either...Lou won't go, Mitchell's heart is in Vancouver, etc lol

Willie wanted to stay. Gillis wouldn't resign him because of his concussion issues.

Also, you're comparing them to an American who desperately wants to win now who came from a rebuilding team, and a guy who never wanted to leave Florida in the first place?

I don't think the Sedins would retire first either, but its pretty obvious these guys want to stay in Van.

Willie wanted to stay. Gillis wouldn't resign him because of his concussion issues.

Also, you're comparing them to an American who desperately wants to win now who came from a rebuilding team, and a guy who never wanted to leave Florida in the first place?

I don't think the Sedins would retire first either, but its pretty obvious these guys want to stay in Van.

Yeah I think they would want to stay In van as well but I do think if they hada chance to make a cup run at the end of their career with Crosby, they may take it and after they're done their current contract they may sign with the Canucks for a season for cheap to retire as Canucks. I could see that situation.

His contract is a huge anchor not to mention he has a NTC so he will only go to certain teams. Look how little JB got for Kesler under better trading conditions. However the Ducks new they were the only option so they low balled all the way

Better trading conditions?

F-THIS.

TRADE ME NOW.

CHICAGO or ANAHEIM

NOW.

In a low-ball deal, Benning managed to get a 2C-3C type in Bonino, a young T4D in Sbisa and a 2nd.

The market for Malkin will no doubt be immensely better. However, if Malkin wants out of Pittsburgh, the price is drastically less than the amount it would take to pry him out were he not wanting to leave.

Plekanec, Galchenyuk, Fucale, 1st for Malkin and Bennett

Pacioretty Malkin Gallagher

Parenteau Desharnais Bennett

Perron Crosby Hornqvist

Galchenyuk Plekanec Dupuis

If Montreal were to trade for Malkin, one of the reasons they would so is that he could mentor Galchenyuk.

No Asset we have could probably make this happen.

Maybe something like..

To TBL: Evgeni Malkin

To PIT: Valterri Filpulla, Jonathan Drouin, TBL 1st 2015 and Anthony Deangelo

To VAN: Evgeni Malkin

To PIT: Radim Vrbata, Chris Tanev, Eddie Lack, 2015 1st (23rd)

To VAN: Adam Larsson

To NJD: Zack Kassian, Jannik Hansen

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Baertschi - Malkin - Virtanen

Kenins - Horvat - Dorsett

Gaunce - Richardson - Higgins

Edler - Larsson

Hamhuis - Clendenning

Sbisa - Bartkowski

Miller

Markstrom

I can only see teams like Edmonton, New Jersey, or Arizona making an offer.

But I'm pretty sure at the end of the season, Malkin had an interview and he said he wanted to remain a Penguin forever?

Arizona couldn't afford to pay him lol

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Edler - Larsson

Hamhuis - Clendenning

Sbisa - Bartkowski

Miller

Markstrom

Those trades are definitely decent. Much better than the cop-out "The Canucks can't afford anything because it's the Canucks" gibberish that's been oging on on this board.

THose trades are definitely decent. Much better than the cop-out "The Canucks can't afford anything because it's the Canucks" gibberish that's been oging on on this board.

No...they were in fact gibberish.

The only conceivable way that Malkin goes to Vancouver is if Bo Horvat is part of the package going back. Capwise, it just doesn't work at all. Considering the state of the team and the need to get younger, it works even less.

Larssen is a great idea for us, but the package described is not near enough value either. New Jersey needs offensive forwards with top-line potential, not middle-6 grit. It would probably take one of Shinkaruk or McCann, just to get the conversation started.

No...they were in fact gibberish.

The only conceivable way that Malkin goes to Vancouver is if Bo Horvat is part of the package going back. Capwise, it just doesn't work at all. Considering the state of the team and the need to get younger, it works even less.

Larssen is a great idea for us, but the package described is not near enough value either. New Jersey needs offensive forwards with top-line potential, not middle-6 grit. It would probably take one of Shinkaruk or McCann, just to get the conversation started.

The Larsson trade proposal was a bit weak yes. However, the Malkin one is definitely decent. Pittsburgh is looking for scoring and Malkin might have had enough there.

Contrary to your beliefs my friend, a lot is possible. I tend to have a positive attitude and a burning desire to win the day, every day. Play around with some numbers. See what happens. Fun stuff. Write a post about it...

Here's some more fun stuff.

BAERTSCHI - MALKIN - KASSIAN (0.832 - 9.500 - 1.750 - 12.082)

D. SEDIN - H. SEDIN - BURROWS (7.000 - 7.000 - 4.500 - 18.500)

KENINS - HORVAT - VIRTANEN (0.717 - 1.744 - 1.775 - 4.236)

DORSETT - CASSELS - GRENIER (2.650 - 0.650 - 0.630 - 3.930)

EDLER - LARSSON (5.000 - 5.000 - 10.00)

HAMHUIS - TANEV (4.500 - 4.450 - 8.950)

STANTON - CLENDENING (0.550 - 0.817 - 1.367)

MILLER (6.000)

MARKSTROM (1.400)

TOTAL: $66,465,000.00

OUT

Vrbata - 5.000 - TRADE

Bieksa - 4.600 - TRADE

Sbisa - 3.600 - TRADE

Hansen - 2.500 - TRADE

Higgins - 2.500 - TRADE

Bonino - 1.900 - TRADE

Matthias - 1.850 - UFA

Richardson - 1.150 - UFA

Lack - 1.150 - TRADE

TOTAL: $24,250,000.00

IN

Malkin - 9.500 - TRADE

Larsson - 5.000 - TRADE - RFA

Virtanen - 1.775 - ROOKIE

Markstrom - 1.400 - ROOKIE

Baertschi - 0.832 - ROOKIE

Kenins - 0.717- ROOKIE

Cassels - 0.650 - ROOKIE

Grenier - 0.630 - ROOKIE

TOTAL: $20,504,000.00

Will the Canucks get Malkin if he is indeed available? 28 other teams would probably also be interested in acquiring his services.

Can the Canucks get Malkin if he is indeed available? Definitely.

Benning has shown he is willing to move on what needs to be done. If he deems an acquisition of Malkin a necessity, he's going to make the move.

Malkin's value might come down a bit more as Eric Staal might also be entertained on the trading floor.

Why the rule Horvat MUST be part of the trade is quite intriguing. Nothing written as law says so. Pitsburgh also have Sutter as 3C who could easily be a 2C behind Crosby. He's no Malkin. But he's no slouch either.

Those trades are definitely decent. Much better than the cop-out "The Canucks can't afford anything because it's the Canucks" gibberish that's been oging on on this board.

Except the fact that Vrbata has one year left on his contract, so realistically he is a cap dump. Tanev and a low first round is a terrible offer for Malkin. They would also want one of Horvat or Virtanen. Not sure I would want to give up one of our top 2 prospects for him.

Except the fact that Vrbata has one year left on his contract, so realistically he is a cap dump. Tanev and a low first round is a terrible offer for Malkin. They would also want one of Horvat or Virtanen. Not sure I would want to give up one of our top 2 prospects for him.

To Vancouver, Vrbata is an asset that can be traded if needed. To Pittsburgh, Vrbata is a pure scorer; exactly what they're looking for at this juncture.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Edler - Larsson

Hamhuis - Clendenning

Sbisa - Bartkowski

Miller

Markstrom

LOL

You guys think we could possibly trade for Malkin without giving up Horvat AND Virtanen

Come on...................................................... Our hockey knowledge isn't that bad is it....... You know we're talking about a superstar.. Even if he had a down year, he is a legitimate superstar and thinking you can get him for scraps is just such a joke. You think we can get EVGENI MALKIN without even giving up ONE of Horvat or Virtanen?????????? My head..

Re the proposals I put up earlier.

They are just that, and meant as a starting point to get discussion regarding what such a deal could look like. At bare minimum, it would take Vrbata (win now), Tanev (they're D is getting younger, moving away from Ehrhoff and Martin) and a 1st.

To claim that Virtanen or Horvat absolutely HAS to be included espouses just how low your hockey knowledge actually is. Horvat had an okay rookie season, but nothing about him thus far screams guaranteed 2nd line Center, in fact Sutter is probably a better long term fit at 2C than Horvat currently projects to be.

Virtanen has literally no body of work to speak of at the NHL level, not even a rookie prospects camp, so he is just pure potential at this point.

Where the Penguins are right now, is in win now mode for as long as Crosby is in his prime, for which he will be for quite some time. Much like we've been with the Sedins. If the shoe were on the other foot, and we had Malkin and Crosby, and potentially moving Malkin, would you want a 18/19 year old prospect who couldn't solidify your T6 for at least another 2-3 years?

If anything is to be added to the package, it would probably be one of Kassian or hell, even Hansen. At most I'd be willing to part with a 2016 1st round pick in addition to the above package of Vrbata, Tanev, 2015 1st.

PIT: Vrbata, Tanev, Kassian, 2015 1st

VAN: Malkin

Vrbata has another decent 1-2 years after this one, so 3 total. And given his hockey IQ, I'd dare say he'd be good until 36 or 37 (look at what Ray Whitney was able to do for as long as he did), as a trigger man on Crosby's flank he's good for a while yet. Tanev hasn't even hit his prime yet as a defenceman and he's already T2 across the league (not a dominator, but very, very reliable and consistent, which can be rather understated).

This year is going to be Kassian's year to break out, he's been on the verge for the past two seasons, but injuries killed any momentum he's been able to sustain. Let's also not discount the fact that Pittsburgh isn't retaining any of that 9.5M cap hit.

I definitely believe that Vancouver has the pieces needed to at least be in the conversation, whether or not Benning is comfortable parting with level of those assets is another question entirely.

PIT: Vrbata, Tanev, Kassian, 2015 1st

VAN: Malkin

If you had Malkin, would you trade him for that? Phoenix asked for Horvat in return for MARTIN HANZAL. Same with Evander Kane, it was Virtanen or Horvat, conversation ended if JB was unwilling to part with either. You really think a superstar like Malkin, who's on a completely different level than Hanzal AND Kane, wouldn't command one if not BOTH? You think we could possibly trade for Malkin without giving one of them up? Are you serious??

If you had Malkin, would you trade him for that? Phoenix asked for Horvat in return for MARTIN HANZAL. Same with Evander Kane, it was Virtanen or Horvat, conversation ended if JB was unwilling to part with either. You really think a superstar like Malkin, who's on a completely different level than Hanzal AND Kane, wouldn't command one if not BOTH? You think we could possibly trade for Malkin without giving one of them up? Are you serious??

What I think is that if Malkin is truly disgruntled, all other 29 GM's would know that he is too, of course not on an "official" capacity, and with a new GM at the helm of the Penguins, it's not hard to see every GM in the league low ball the hell out of Pittsburgh for Malkin. Obviously I don't think Malkin is the sort to bolt to Russia and throw away the money he has guaranteed to him here in NA.

So the Penguins either trade him for the best return they can get, or he stays put and they risk further disgruntling Malkin, thereby further eroding his value.

If GMs know a player is disgruntled where they are, they also know the GM has little to no leverage to make demands like one or both top prospects of an organization, and then some.

In the above scenario, as far as trading for a player disgruntled with the organization they're presently with, I'm not sure Pittsburgh could do a whole lot better, it's a pretty fair package. If Malkin ISN'T disgruntled, then he's not going anywhere, plain and simple, but generally speaking where there's smoke there's fire.

If he's truly not disgruntled, and Pittsburgh really does want to move him, then and only then can they name their price, but only in so far as the teams he's willing to be traded to (full NMC) which again erodes the return Pittsburgh can get back. The cap hit alone removes a lot of teams from contention, which again slightly erodes the return by simple process of elimination and thinning of the potential buyers list.

In a vaccuum, and all things being equal, yeah Malkin is probably Horvat + Virtanen ++ but this is reality, and it's far more convoluted and a lot less black and white as you're making it out to be.

Archived