The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Malkin to Van City

Wow. Some of you guys are completely out to lunch. For you to give up that much for Malkin is absolutely asinine. Seriously. You're giving up WAY too much for just one player. He can't even get the Penguin's into the Stanley Cup final's along side Crosby and company. Thank God most of you aren't running this team... into the ground.

Pretty sure most people aren't saying "this is what I'd give" but rather "this is what the Pens would ask for" (and followed by "so we won't get Malkin")...

I'm thinking too many people here overvalue Malkin. Yes he's won a Cup but hasn't done anything to help Pittsburgh anywhere near the Finals since.

As well his work for Team Russia isn't all that spectacular either.

I could see Pittsburgh asking for a lot but remember who Pittsburgh's GM is.....

Not the brightest considering he resigned Fleury.

I'm sure everyone knows now that Malkin wants out of the Pit FAST and with Vancouver as one of his probable choices, I think JB needs to jump on this opportunity to land one of the league's best.

To Vancouver

Malkin

To Pittsburgh

Vrbata, Higgins, Bieksa, McCann, 2016 2nd, 2017 3rd

I'm not sure if that will allow us much wiggle room to get under the cap but with a chance like this we definitely need to get on it. I don't want to give up McCann and I'm sure some will criticize trading him away but you gotta give to get! Thoughts, suggestions!?

Edmonton counters with RNH Eberle and a 2016 2nd round pick.

I'm sure everyone knows now that Malkin wants out of the Pit FAST and with Vancouver as one of his probable choices, I think JB needs to jump on this opportunity to land one of the league's best.

To Vancouver

Malkin

To Pittsburgh

Vrbata, Higgins, Bieksa, McCann, 2016 2nd, 2017 3rd

I'm not sure if that will allow us much wiggle room to get under the cap but with a chance like this we definitely need to get on it. I don't want to give up McCann and I'm sure some will criticize trading him away but you gotta give to get! Thoughts, suggestions!?

You won't get Malkin for junk. You didn't offer one decent trade chip to land him.

It will take some premium young talent to land him.. The Canucks likely don't have the pieces to outbid other teams.

A lot of mixed responses, as expected, more that are critical so maybe add Vey and change that 2016 2nd into a 1st. Then BAM Malkin next year...

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Baertschi Malkin Kassian

Shinkaruk Horvat Hansen

Kenins Gaunce Dorsett

Edler Tanev

Hamhuis Clenner

Sbisa Corrado/Weber

A lot of mixed responses, as expected, more that are critical so maybe add Vey and change that 2016 2nd into a 1st. Then BAM Malkin next year...

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Baertschi Malkin Kassian

Shinkaruk Horvat Hansen

Kenins Gaunce Dorsett

Edler Tanev

Hamhuis Clenner

Sbisa Corrado/Weber

Rutherford dies of laughter at that proposal.

No one is trading someone like Malkin for spare parts. Also why the heck is Malkin on the second line in your line up?

Rutherford dies of laughter at that proposal.

No one is trading someone like Malkin for spare parts. Also why the heck is Malkin on the second line in your line up?

So you're suggesting this as our lineup after the trade?

Sedin Malkin Burrows

Baertschi Sedin Kassian

Shinkaruk Horvat Hansen

Kenins Gaunce Dorsett

I could live with that I guess. Good criticism...

So you're suggesting this as our lineup after the trade?

Sedin Malkin Burrows

Baertschi Sedin Kassian

Shinkaruk Horvat Hansen

Kenins Gaunce Dorsett

I could live with that I guess. Good criticism...

Naw

Sedins together on the second line and add a top line LWer at some point

If you can do it without trading Horvat, McCann, Virtanen or Tanev I'd do it.

Maybe the Twins and some b prospects but I doubt they'd trade for players that old. Just wouldn't be good player management.

TO PIT:

HIGGINS

VEY

BAERTSCHI

HAMHUIS

1ST

Clendenning

CORRADO

TO VAN

MALKIN

POULIOT

Wow. Some of you guys are completely out to lunch. For you to give up that much for Malkin is absolutely asinine. Seriously. You're giving up WAY too much for just one player. He can't even get the Penguin's into the Stanley Cup final's along side Crosby and company. Thank God most of you aren't running this team... into the ground.

Stop sitting on the fence! How do you really feel?

... why the heck is Malkin on the second line in your line up?

You mean this isn't a proposal to get that 2nd line center that so many on CDC say Bonino isn't?

Hasn't Malkin been a 2nd line center almost his entire NHL career?

;);)

On a more serious note, it's difficult for me to get excited about trading for a superstar whose age is about where serious decline could set in. There are exceptions that age well, but generally the average peak age for scoring isn't much over 25 (http://www.arcticicehockey.com/2010/1/21/1261318/nhl-points-per-game-peak-age), Crosby and Gretzky peaked at about 23 and ppg seasons fall off rapidly after 31. http://canucksarmy.com/2014/1/17/are-the-sedin-twins-old-and-useless-now-well-no-but

Malkin will be 29 before this season starts. He'll be 35 when his current contract ends. He already shows signs of a decline in scoring:

2007-8 106 pts 2nd in NHL

2008-9 113 pts 1st in NHL

2009-10 77 pts in 67 games

2010-11 37 pts in 43 games (torn ACL and MCL in right knee)

2011-12 109 pts, 1st in NHL

2012-13 33 pts in 31 games

2013-14 72 pts in 60 games

2014-15 70 pts in 69 games

He's still a star. He's still a great player. He may even be worth $9.5 million per over the next couple of years.

I don't like the odds that he'll be worth $28.5 million in the period 2019-22, though. Look at how so many on CDC are happy with the contracts of players in their early to mid-30's such as Bieksa and Burrows.

It will be noted Malkin has missed a fair number of games in recent years. While when I search I see things like "lower body injury" I don't know details (except the knee in 2011) but I think we can assume Malkin wasn't missing all those games as a healthy scratch.

Imo trading for Malkin is something reserved for teams desperate for a quick fix. Unlike some quick fixes this is one that, because of Malkin's ability, could work in the short term, but in the long run the price is very high relative to the value obtained even with a demonstrated star.

If the Pens trade Malkin, someone will offer a lot. I'd be happy for that someone not to be named Benning, despite Malkin's ability.

Horvat, Virtanen, 2015 1st, 2016 1st, 2017 1st

The Pens would be laughing all the way to the bank if JB was stupid enough to offer that. Malkin is almost 30 yrs old and has a huge fat contract. As good as Malkin is he's not worth all that. Horavt and Virtanen are The Canucks future and three 1st round picks is asinine. It would set the franchise back ten years

It would cost only slightly more than what Anaheim got Kesler for. Remember that Kesler has a very agreeable cap hit and Malkin does not. They are different players but Keslers on ice value is not far off from Malkins and his contract is way more palatable. In todays NHL cap world that is almost as important as the players themselves

Archived