The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

TSN's Off Season Game Plan, Vancouver Canucks

Warhippy

This offseason is gonna be interesting and a real awkward one for the management team if they have to start asking our core players to waive their NTC's

Personally, I'm pretty certain Higgins will get dealt and maybe bieksa if they can find a right fit for him.

That projected lineup looks worse than the one that just got beaten by Calgary.

Long season ahead, but hopefully Benning and Linden have abandoned the idea ot re-tooling around 35 year olds.

The Sedins are among the best scorers in the league.

That projected lineup looks worse than the one that just got beaten by Calgary.

Long season ahead, but hopefully Benning and Linden have abandoned the idea ot re-tooling around 35 year olds.

Yeh that looks brutal if Higgins + Bonino are once again our second line, it's going to be a long season. Give the young guys a more skilled opportunity and see what they can do! Bo needs to get more minutes that Bonino next year, he deserved it in the playoffs and he deserves the chance to start the season as the second line center. If Sven, Kassian and Bo surprise us and put up 45-50 points each I think we have a legit chance. It's not an unrealistic expectations as all 3 were top 15 draft picks and have the skill set, just need the chance to put it all together and hopefully have matured enough to realize what it takes to be top 6 players in the NHL.

why would they move vrbata?....he is the goal scorer, we've needed for a few years...burrows is the best fit with the sedins..

i wouldn't move higgins or hansen yet...they give us reliability and hansen is our fastest skater...dorsett will do whatever it takes to win...kind of like tiger williams...hopefully horvat doesn't suffer from the sophomore jinx....

thankfully we have knowledgeable hockey people in charge...the team is in their hands.

why would they move vrbata?

Because Vrbata only has one more year on his contract and just passed 34. It is likely he will tread water at his production level for another year if playing with the Sedins but will likely decline.

Therefore, you obviously trade him while his value is worth more to the Canucks than he brings to the team. With that in mind, I would expect to see him unloaded at the trade deadline for a 2nd + prospect or a late first.

Like I said at the time, WE SHOULD HAVE TRADED MATTHIAS AT THE DEADLINE!!!

Just before the deadline Matthias looked like he was turning into the player that we'd hope he'd turn into. If Benning had an idea that he was going to fizzle out after the deadline I'm pretty sure he would have moved him.

I got a few questions; 1) why is everyone wanting Vey on the team.... cause he's Willies boy, IMO he didn't show enough to stay and he's pushed around and off the puck to easily

2) if Canucks trade Bieska who clears the opposition forwards from the front of the net or tries....not one the Dmen we have now or any of the resticted Dmen that would have to clear waivers-- trade some of them and get an Odyula(?) or someone like him.

3) why do Canucks need to look for depth forwards, we have young guys in Utica. if Canucks can get a goal scorer fine but because of Millers, Sbisa's and a few other contracts Canucks are up at Cap pretty well. JB and Linden keep saying changes are comming and they want to be hard to play against but aside from a few, Canucks are not hard to play against and few of the forwards are willing to take a beating to go right front of the net to score or look for rebounds. Watching Horvat and Keanins(?) play a lot of our forwards should be embarrased and if the other young guys give an effort like those 2 we should be competative.

The roster he predicts has No Bieksa No Miller as well as no Richardson and no Matthias I guess he predicts the Canucks trade Bieksa and Miller for picks/prospects and let Richardson and Matthias go to free agency

The roster he has is Daniel Sedin - Henrik Sedin - Radim Vrbata

Chris Higgins - Nick Bonino - Alex Burrows

Sven Baertschi - Bo Horvat - Jannik Hansen

Derek Dorsett - Linden Vey - Zack Kassian

Alex Edler - Chris Tanev

Dan Hamhuis - Yannick Weber

Luca Sbisa - Adam Clendening

Eddie Lack

Jacob Markstrom

Peter Budaj

http://www.tsn.ca/off-season-game-plan-vancouver-canucks-1.300525

Our line-up should be more

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Baertschi-Horvat-Vrbata

Shinkaruk-Bonino-Burrows

Dorsett-Richardson-Hansen

We really NEED to recycle 'on the fly' & open up cap space. Trouble is, a lot of GM's likely have a similar take on their own teams.

So do a couple deals where the value might not be perfect, accepting the cap space as a part of the return.

EG:

Vrbata to Mtl or Wash, for their 1st. If you must add a so-so prospect, consider it.

Edler to NYI(Reinhart/Pulock); or Det for one of their top fwd & D prospects.

After a couple moves like these, the team would have about 15 mill in cap available.

STAGE 2:

Exploit the teams in cap Hell. Maybe you can nab a guy like Couturier, for stiffs like Bonino/Vey, if you also take back a cap-mistake(eg:Grossman).

Chi, Bos, Philly, TBay, Pitt, Mtl, Rags, et al..these are some teams that'll probably give a tilted return(in our favour), if you help them out of cap-Hades.

Also, eat 2 mill of 'Millsy's hit' & get that long-face outa' here.

Go into the season with 5~7 mill open, so we're flexible, & can roll with what the first half gives us. Get younger with every deal made, for the next 1 or 2 yrs. Get bigger, faster & more skilled.

This F***'n league tosses the rule book, when we make PO's-GET BIGGER!

Gonna have to hope Benning can find a home for Bieksa and/or Hammer. Or we risk losing Corrado or Clandenning for nothing. Stanton looks to be gone, if Benning plans on bringing Weber back. In a bit of a pickle with all the waiver eligible d-men we have.

Hamhuis isn't going anywhere.

If we lose Clendenning we really only lost a 5th round pick.

I like the article, he seems to know the Canucks.

I agree that Richardson, and Matthias likely walk. The notion of trading Miller seems a difficult task, but with our current goaltending situation it would be best to move Miller for the future goaltending of this franchise. The Bieksa trade seems a bit far-fetched as well, as I'm not sure that Bieksa would waive.

I really like how he projected our depth beyond the usual roster. For forwards

Sedin Sedin Vrbata

Higgins Bonino Burrows

Baertschi Horvat Hansen

Dorsett Vey Kassian

-

Kenins McMillan Jensen

Shinkaruk Cassels Virtanen

As you can see, beyond the roster we have 6 young guys that could easily slot in. Even with that list of 6, I would sub Gaunce in for Jensen, let McMillan walk, and give Cassels a year in the pros. That would leave Shinkaruk, Virtanen and Kenins battling for the 13th forward spot - which could be 14 forwards if WD goes that route. I really like Virtanen's chances.

For defense:

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - Weber

Sbisa - Clendening

Pedan - Stanton

Hutton - Corrado

The only subtraction here is Bieksa, which I believe to be unlikely. From this depth, we can cross Pedan and Hutton off, as both are eligible for the AHL. Corrado and Clendening will be kepth because of the waiver situation, leaving Stanton and Corrado as extras on this depth chart. If Bieksa is kept, I feel it will be Stanton who is dealt, and Clendening/Corrado being the extras.

Goaltending is a tricky one, and trading Miller seems a daunting task. If this were to occur, would the Canucks really sign a 3rd NHL bound goaltender in Budaj? I have to think just Markstrom/Lack would do. I should credit the author though for not supplanting players acquired from these imaginary trades, as the lack of these players gives us a better idea of a realistic roster.

Anyways, with everything considered I have to think our roster would look like this, at least for now:

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Higgins Bonino Vrbata

Baertschi Horvat Kassian

Dorsett Vey Hansen

Virtanen

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Sbisa - Weber

Clendening, Corrado

Lack

Markstrom

The link would have been good enough :P

I never take these too seriously but it is interesting to see somebody's thoughts who is a step removed and a little more objective than people from Vancouver.

Cullen thinks Miller goes. Good luck moving a $6M contract on a 35 year old goalie with a limited NTC.

Yeah and people like milt or whatever his name is think we will get a first round pick for him.

From the outside looking in,I thought that this was a fairly accurate assessment of the Canucks......There's definitely quite a bit of overhaul coming up....

Thank god. By the 2016-17 season I think it will be mostly the Utica guys all on the team. At least Virtanen, gaunce, shinkaruk, grenier, clendenning, corrado and bartchi. That's huge we have never had anything like this. That's not even including McCann and cassels and Bo who's only 20. The future looks bright if we can just land a number one dman in the draft but that's asking a lot...

My take is literally just this.

Benning and Linden are going to be facing some serious facts about the team the age of the team and where to get younger.

There almost has to be changes coming this off season. Without changes we move into dangerous territory where we could lose players without recouping anything due to expiring contracts or lack of value due to age or production

Canucks have been in dangerous territory for a couple of years now. Look at the competition and their prospect depth.

why would they move vrbata?....he is the goal scorer, we've needed for a few years...burrows is the best fit with the sedins..

i wouldn't move higgins or hansen yet...they give us reliability and hansen is our fastest skater...dorsett will do whatever it takes to win...kind of like tiger williams...hopefully horvat doesn't suffer from the sophomore jinx....

thankfully we have knowledgeable hockey people in charge...the team is in their hands.

Vrbata gets moved because he wasn't able to raise his level of play when it mattered most. His regular season achievements mean squat if he disappears in the first round of the playoffs. Which he did.

After Benning's last few interviews, it seems pretty clear that the plan isn't set in stone yet. They will be doing that with their internal meetings soon although I'm pretty sure they know where they want to go already. The team will continue to get a little younger through the expiring contracts of Matthias and Richardson.

First on the agenda is sorting out the goalie situation. My guess is Markstrom will be the one shipped off. He still is an unknown at the NHL level and I don't see Benning choosing to go with the unknown when he has two reliable goalies already.

Next will be trying to recoup some draft picks. My guess is Jensen and Kassian will be the main pieces shopped for this, but Benning won't necessarily sell low here.

After the draft, the glut at defense will need to be addressed. I see Stanton as being the odd man out right now.

It doesn't make for a super interesting off season but all bets are off if a vet decides to waive their NTC. It is quite possible this may happen but I'm not holding my breath. Trade deadline time could be more interesting if the Canucks struggle.

I see a lineup of:

D. Sedin H. Sedin Burrows

Baertschi Bonino Vrbata

Higgins Horvat Dorsett

Hansen Vey Kassian

Kenins

Edler Tanev

Hamhuis Sbisa

Bieksa Weber

Corrado Clendenning

Miller

Lack

If any forwards are injured at the beginning of the year, I see Virtanen getting a 9 game audition. If not Gaunce (unless someone is hotter) would be the first call up.

That's my prediction on June 6th. We'll see if Benning's tone changes after the organizational meetings.

Vrbata gets moved because he wasn't able to raise his level of play when it mattered most. His regular season achievements mean squat if he disappears in the first round of the playoffs. Which he did.

Vrbata got 7 GWG for the Canucks this season. So let's assume that's 7 pts he was able to contribute to the Canucks.

If my math is correct than that means Canucks would have 94 PTS last season missing the playoffs.

Seems to me without Vrbata, Canucks wouldn't even make it to the playoffs.

Archived