The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Upgrading the Second Line

Bonino is 2 years younger, almost $3M cheaper and has a PPG slightly less than Dubinsky. Not to mention he's becoming a bt of a band-aid.

I believe the 2C will belong to Horvat within the next couple of years, so adding Dubinsky makes no sense.

Bonino is 2 years younger, almost $3M cheaper and has a PPG slightly less than Dubinsky. Not to mention he's becoming a bt of a band-aid.

I believe the 2C will belong to Horvat within the next couple of years, so adding Dubinsky makes no sense.

Not true.

Brandon scored 36 points, while Bones had 3 more for the season (39) but in 28 more games. Not quite the same there. Dubi almost scored at the same pace as guys like Filip Forsberg or Jordan Eberle (top line guys) while Bones isn't even nearly up there. They probably are similar in play, but make no mistake, production-wise Brandon's a much better player.

Would only be worth it if nucks were in win now mode. A couple of years ago I would have been all over this. A trade like this would require the Canucks getting something long term in return

That said, I would agree with this, since Dubi's almost 30, and if we're not ready to contend we might as well retain some young assets or trade them in further re-tooling.

Not true.

Brandon scored 36 points, while Bones had 3 more for the season (39) but in 28 more games. Not quite the same there. Dubi almost scored at the same pace as guys like Filip Forsberg or Jordan Eberle (top line guys) while Bones isn't even nearly up there. They probably are similar in play, but make no mistake, production-wise Brandon's a much better player.

I should have clarified that as career PPG, and probably said that Dubinsky has the edge offensively.

Dubinsky: 0.59 career PPG = 48.38 pts over an 82 game season

Bonino: 0.46 career PPG = 37.72 pts over an 82 game season

But production wise, a 10 point difference isn't that much.

I would definitely take the cheaper option in this instance. A much cheaper option.

I should have clarified that as career PPG, and probably said that Dubinsky has the edge offensively.

Dubinsky: 0.59 career PPG = 48.38 pts over an 82 game season

Bonino: 0.46 career PPG = 37.72 pts over an 82 game season

But production wise, a 10 point difference isn't that much.

I would definitely take the cheaper option in this instance. A much cheaper option.

A 10 point difference is actually quite significant.

Archived