The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Time to Trade Edler?

Gstank29

Heck i think it would do better on this section than the proposal section

So i've been thinking with the direction that this team seems to be heading, is now the best time to trade Edler?It would basically set this team into full rebuild mode for next year, something that Benning and Linden have stated they don't want to do, but when you think about it makes a lot of sense

Edler is 29 years old so he won't be a big part of this team if we contend for a cup (at least 4 years)
He's on a affordable contract and is in the prime of his career so his value couldn't get much higher.
He's coming off a good year so again the value is high.
Most teams that are drafting in the 6-11 range need a defenceman to be competetive and with this team going though a "transition" period if might be best to move him while he still has a lot of value.
Getting a top pick in next years draft with the likes of Day, Fabbro, Chychurn, and others littering the top of the first round it would be a good year to "tank"
Also with the price of top pairing defence man at an all-time high and it becoming more apparent that you NEED a franchise defenceman to get anywhere in the playoffs is it time to trade Edler?
(I don't know to what extent his NTC is but it's still an interesting idea.)
I can see Edler fetching a top 10 pick because he is the reliable piece that a lot of teams are missing. He can play 25 minutes, hit, play the PP, and is decent in his own zone. Edler isn't the guy that you build a contender around but is a very good player to play with your franchise defenceman
Teams I could see being interested
Colorado
Florida
Dallas
Tampa
Philly
Detroit

If the Sedins weren't around, Edler would be team captain. Not happening.

I love Edler more than most, but in no way is he captain material. Watch one of his rare interviews, he's awkward with the media and extremely quiet in public. If the Sedins weren't around, the captain would be one of Hamhuis, Bieksa, or maybe Burrows.

Like it or not, one of the captain's main jobs is to be a liaison between the team and the public, to stay late in interviews and be the team's voice. Edler can't be the voice of 23 men when he barely has one of his own.

A few friends and I debate this. One friend who has played junior hockey is fed up with Edler's brain farts and turnovers and he thought his year under Torts was an utter disgrace for a professional. He wants Edler traded. I've defended Edler to a degree. He was much better thanks to Tanev but I have seen many costly turnovers from Edler this past year (the previous year was a mess). Matter of fact, after his play the past two years, I think I'd be open to trading Edler for a high pick. If Edler was the type of player who would drop the gloves and defend his teammates, I'd want to keep him and live with his mistakes (given his ability to put up points).

Yes, been thinking this for a while, now. Provided the return is youth/picks, so the 5 mill cap is a big part of the return.

Then it's a question of how wisely that cap is utilized.

Another good point is trying to pair Sbisa with Tanev. Seems Tanev can settle down almost ANY D-partner. This would be the ultimate test.

If the Sedins weren't around, Edler would be team captain. Not happening.

LOL.

To the OP... If our depth was in defence I would agree and say pull the trigger but I think we're much better off by either trading up with our veteran forwards and/or trading one of our goaltenders. We're rich in top 9 prospects and goaltending, makes far more sense to keep quality where we're weak. 29 is still right in their peak for a defenceman... Keep him.

To answer the question "would I trade Edler? ". I would have to know what the return is. If it was a top ten pick then I would pull the trigger no questions asked.

We aren't going anywhere in the next three years anyways. What will that pick look like in three years beside Edler.

I'm ok to part with anyone from our core (maybe except the Sedins, even then I'd consider it). So if the return is a 6th or 7th overall pick where we can draft Provorov, I say let the rebuilding being. However, you have to keep in mind that he has a NTC and he dictates where he gets traded and if he didn't want to waive it to go to Detroit I don't see him waiving it to go to a bottom feeder team

I'm ok to part with anyone from our core (maybe except the Sedins, even then I'd consider it). So if the return is a 6th or 7th overall pick where we can draft Provorov, I say let the rebuilding being. However, you have to keep in mind that he has a NTC and he dictates where he gets traded and if he didn't want to waive it to go to Detroit I don't see him waiving it to go to a bottom feeder team

Most of those teams in the 6-11 aren't bottom feeders in fact they are probably closer to winning the cup than we are

We are already screwed on D and u want to get rid of our best d man? Lol

We would have to commit to a total rebuild if that was the case. I do agree sometimes it's better to trade off guys in their prime if we know we can't rebuild in the fly , but this would pretty much insure a losing team for a couple years. I'm not convinced we need to do this with his well our prospect pool has been developing this year.

We are already screwed on D and u want to get rid of our best d man? Lol

Funny with the username you have. Also Edler being our best d-man is debatable, best offensive defenceman sure but he is not the clear cut number 1. It would be interesting to see how he does without Tanev.

Also we have to make room for Clendening and Corrado next year who COULD be top 4 defence man in the near future

Archived