The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Stawamus Chief vs Grouse Grind

ChrisCo!

How do they compare? I've done the Grouse Grind 5 times and I'm doing the Stawamus Chief tomorrow. How hard is it? Is it constantly uphill and steps or are there flat sections too? how far apart are the peaks?

No flats...:but some less steep switchbacks in the woods just before the cliffs of the first peak.

Edit:

There are some "personal" mini routes in every climb, the chief, no different, in that there are easier routes within the main route.

Do I want to do big steps up these rocks? Or mini switchbacks?

I always enjoyed running down the chief as fast as possible too...it's good for the coordination and anticipation,(choosing a line), but falling is tough as it is steep and mostly in rocks.

I hike every sunday and still don't understand why people go to do the Grouse Grind. I'm hitting the 24km trek at Golden Ears tomorrow.

The Chief is much more rewarding at the end.

While the Grouse Grind is more maintained in the sense that there's staircases, the Chief only has a staircase early on in the start, gradually the trail becomes steeper and you will find a section with a ladder and chains. Not to mention the Chief is less busier.

Be sure to pack a lot of water as it'll be a hot one tomorrow. You should be fine otherwise if you can do the grind. Also, If you want the same challenge as the Grouse Grind, take the route that goes right to the 3rd peak of the Chief.

Plus they want you to pay to go down on the Gondola (Which I never do and run down the Grind)

No flats...:but some less steep switchbacks in the woods just before the cliffs of the first peak.

Edit:

There are some "personal" mini routes in every climb, the chief, no different, in that there are easier routes within the main route.

Do I want to do big steps up these rocks? Or mini switchbacks?

I always enjoyed running down the chief as fast as possible too...it's good for the coordination and anticipation,(choosing a line), but falling is tough as it is steep and mostly in rocks.

I did the running thing once. The constant pounding made my knees so sore that I could barely walk until the next day.

There is honestly zero comparison for me. The Chief is far better.

The Grind is easier to move about on, and will get you more bang for your buck in terms of exercise (takes less time and will give you a dang good workout), but the Chief is infinitely times more beautiful, less busy (climbing the Grind with peoples sweaty arses in your face the whole time blows), and in the end is just as good of a workout, especially if you do all 3 peaks.

Did the Grind once, don't plan on doing it again. Have done the Chief 3 times, and plan on doing it for a 4th tomorrow.

I hike every sunday and still don't understand why people go to do the Grouse Grind. I'm hitting the 24km trek at Golden Ears tomorrow.

Ditto. Why anyone would want to stare at the side of a mountain the entire hike is beyond me. I mean it's great exercise but so is a stairmaster.

I like a little variety in my terrain and some, you know, actual scenery along the way. Part of the joy of hiking IMO is enjoying the beautiful landscapes we're lucky to enjoy around here. Yeah there's a good view at the top of the Grind but the entire hike is monotonous.

The Chief is way better. It's an actual hike while the Grind is (well, a hike, but) something people do as an event or a workout. The Chief offers a variety of different terrain, a bit of climbing and at the end an Awesome view...and afterwards some delicious fried chicken from Mags 99.

EDIT: Do all 3 peaks or don't bother...unless you have a disability or something.

Ditto. Why anyone would want to stare at the side of a mountain the entire hike is beyond me. I mean it's great exercise but so is a stairmaster.

I like a little variety in my terrain and some, you know, actual scenery along the way. Part of the joy of hiking IMO is enjoying the beautiful landscapes we're lucky to enjoy around here. Yeah there's a good view at the top of the Grind but the entire hike is monotonous.

Amen. Its all about the reward.

Grouse is tougher and a better workout. Chief - while it is also tough and a workout - isn't as much as Grouse.

Grouse also has a bigger elevation ∴ your red blood cells get bigger than they will on the Chief and you'll feel like superman once you come back down and do any sort of activity on city level.

I think most of us prefer the Grind more because it's part of the identity of the city. It is Vancouver. It's got adverising everywhere, a bear, drinks, trees, it's got it all. If you can't understand that then stay in Calgary or wherever you're from...

Grouse is tougher and a better workout. Chief - while it is also tough and a workout - isn't as much as Grouse.

Grouse also has a bigger elevation ∴ your red blood cells get bigger than they will on the Chief and you'll feel like superman once you come back down and do any sort of activity on city level.

One could argue...

The Chief is far longer hike if you do all 3 peaks. I find the Grind to be full of pretentious spandex wearing aholes who are there to be seen as much as they are there to get a workout. Neither of them are really all that difficult, but the Chief is far more rewarding in my opinion. After I finish the grind I feel like I just left the gym. The Grind is definitely a better workout though, although you have to walk down the Chief as well, so you get to work a larger variety of muscles if that is your sole purpose for the hike to begin with. The view is better at the top of the Chief.

...also, there is no Mags 99 Fried Chicken after the Grind either, which is a serious strike against it.

The Grind

Length: 2.9 kilometres (1.8 miles)

Elevation Gain: 853 metres (2,800 feet)

Base: 274 metres above sea level (900 feet)

Summit: 1,127 metres (3,700 feet)

Total Stairs: 2,830

The Chief

Length:

Peak 1: 3 km

Peak 2: 4 km

Peak 3: 4 km

Elevation Gain:

Peak 1: 535 m

Peak 2: 580 m

Peak 3: 627 m

Highest Point:

Peak 1: 610 m

Peak 2: 655 m

Peak 3: 702 m

Time Needed:

3 – 5 hours

One could argue...

The Chief is far longer hike if you do all 3 peaks. I find the Grind to be full of pretentious spandex wearing aholes who are there to be seen as much as they are there to get a workout. Neither of them are really all that difficult, but the Chief is far more rewarding in my opinion. After I finish the grind I feel like I just left the gym. The Grind is definitely a better workout though, although you have to walk down the Chief as well, so you get to work a larger variety of muscles if that is your sole purpose for the hike to begin with. The view is better at the top of the Chief.

...also, there is no Mags 99 Fried Chicken after the Grind either, which is a serious strike against it.

The Grind

Length: 2.9 kilometres (1.8 miles)

Elevation Gain: 853 metres (2,800 feet)

Base: 274 metres above sea level (900 feet)

Summit: 1,127 metres (3,700 feet)

Total Stairs: 2,830

The Chief

Length:

Peak 1: 3 km

Peak 2: 4 km

Peak 3: 4 km

Elevation Gain:

Peak 1: 535 m

Peak 2: 580 m

Peak 3: 627 m

Highest Point:

Peak 1: 610 m

Peak 2: 655 m

Peak 3: 702 m

Time Needed:

3 – 5 hours

Touché. Both great, just comes down to personal preference. I do both but Grouse a lot more than the Chief.

Archived