The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Van to CAR and NJD

I'm avoiding trades with any of our goalies at the moment.. I just don't know what JB will end up doing so I'm not going to bother.

Please discuss not sure if these trades are close in value or just way off so let me know

Trade 1:

NJD:

Kassian + Higgins + 23rd

Van:

Larsson + 2nd (41st overall)

Trade 2:

Car:

Tanev

Van:

Semin + 5th overall

New Jersey trade:

They get Kassian, a young power forward roster player that is still a bit of a project but has offensive skills they can utilize. Higgins is a versatile forward is capable of moving in and out of the second/third lines. Is from the New York area, so sending him close to home may be appealing to him. Also move they move 18 spots.

Vancouver gets a young dynamic offensive style defenseman that was drafted 4th overall. He is 6' 3" shoot right and would likely fit like a glove with Edler.

Carolina trade:

They get Tanev, a dependable defensive dman useable in every situation. We get the 5th overall which is a really good prospect Marner / Barzal / Provorov. Many good options there.

Tanev would not equal the 5th overall so we take Semin on for his 3 years left and hopefully we inject some young guns in the lineup to make up the difference of cap space.

Maybe they can retain 1m-2m on his contract though.

Lineup:

D. Sedin (7m) - H. Sedin (7m) - Vrbata (5m)

Bärtschi (900k) - Bonino (1.9m) - Semin (7m)

Burrows (4.5m) - Horvat (900k) - Hansen (2.5m)

Dorsett (2.65m) - Vey (735k) - Virtanen (900k)

Edler (5m) - Larsson (900k)

Hamhuis (4.5m) - Bieksa (4.6m)

Sbisa (3.2m) - Corrado (600k)

Miller (6m) - Markstromm (1.2m)

Weber - Clendenning - Lack as well on payroll

2015 Cap: 71,000,000

23 Player Cap Used: 70,066,111

Retained Cap: 800,000

Cap Space Available: 133,889

**NOTE

Larsson is RFA and is due for a raise but this is with 3 goalies on the payroll and maybe 1 cap saving move we can get enough space to ride out the year where we can walk away from Bieksa and resign Hamhuis for a slightly less cap hit.

No thanks. Don't need a bust defender and an overpayed second liner for players we actually need. Not gonna gut the team for Second round picks. No GM in his right mind rides so close to the cap.

Also I doubt canes wanna trade their pick.

No thanks. Don't need a bust defender and an overpayed second liner for players we actually need. Not gonna gut the team for Second round picks. No GM in his right mind rides so close to the cap.

According to reports they are packaging the 5th with Semin to get rid of his contract.

Larsson bustville ? he's 22, and had 24 points this year... on NJD...

Semin is someone i'm reluctant on picking up but if it's needed to get the 5th overall may be worth it...

Yes agree on the cap situation, JB and Gilman will have to do some work around there, but maybe a young guy steps up throughout the year and makes Vrbata redundant for a trade... or maybe Semin snaps back to being a good dynamic offensive forward.

Who knows either way we have 15m in cap space freeing up in 2016.

What are peoples opinions is Tanev on his own worth 5th overall and contract dump ? I could see Carolina rating Tanev highly

Yup, Larsson is doing well again after a couple rough years and injuries. I'd do that deal but New Jersey wouldn't.

I guess we could buy out Semin after, but that's still a large ask. Maybe we could try it if we move Vrbata for something worthwhile (would he go to Carolina and would they want him? would they retain 30% of Semin's contract and add their 2nd or a 1st next year? separate deal?) then we could actually try Semin in our top 6. I'd love the 5th - and be ok with losing Tanev to get it - but Semin is a big negative.

Yup, Larsson is doing well again after a couple rough years and injuries. I'd do that deal but New Jersey wouldn't.

I guess we could buy out Semin after, but that's still a large ask. Maybe we could try it if we move Vrbata for something worthwhile (would he go to Carolina and would they want him? would they retain 30% of Semin's contract and add their 2nd or a 1st next year? separate deal?) then we could actually try Semin in our top 6. I'd love the 5th - and be ok with losing Tanev to get it - but Semin is a big negative.

On Larsson I don't think that deal is all that far off and it sounds like Larsson or Gelinas is expendable for offensive help, but what do I know I just try to get in the ball park and I'm sure the GMs will iron out exact details.

On Semin, it is possible that we ride the cap to the limit until the deadline then send out Vrbata as a rental. This could be a good chance for Cassels / Shinkaruk / Jensen / whoever to prove themselves in the AHL / call-ups throughout the year and replace the need for him. I think the big negative of Semin equals the big positive of getting the 5th overall.

Why not take semin? We could put him on waivers. If hes not picked up he plays in utica and the cap dont affect us. Atleast i think it dont

You're wrong. Only $950k of his cap hit would come off the books if he was sent to Utica and not claimed

If Carolina was packaging the 5th and Semin, IMO they would still have to eat Some salary.

Semin 30% retaind and the 5th for Tanev and Sbisa who knows if thats even in the realm of a possibility, but if we are loosing Tanev and gaining Semin they need to retain Salary and take Sbisa so we can go out and sign 2 UFA Dmen

we get semin at 4.9 cap hit, who knows could be the sniper the Sedins need

The deal could yeild us, Strome, Marner, Hanafin or even Provarov. Could be good for our future as well as letting us still keep our # 23 as well as potentially move Vrbata for #22

If Carolina was packaging the 5th and Semin, IMO they would still have to eat Some salary.

Semin 30% retaind and the 5th for Tanev and Sbisa who knows if thats even in the realm of a possibility, but if we are loosing Tanev and gaining Semin they need to retain Salary and take Sbisa so we can go out and sign 2 UFA Dmen

The deal could yeild us, Strome, Marner, Hanafin or even Provarov. Could be good for our future as well as letting us still keep our # 23 as well as potentially move Vrbata for #22

I'd do that. At worst we're saddled with a grumpy Russian for a few seasons, knowing Tryamkin/Pedan are on their way in soon that's not entirely a bad thing.

If the payoff is Prorov/Hanifin. You make that trade.

another year with a top ten pick and a bottom ten pick in the first round makes this a happy prospect bin for sure

Don't think we trade 2 defencemen away... and I also doubt Carolina takes back contract $ if trading the 5th as well... maybe they can retain 1m or something minor but 30% = 2.1m seems like something they wouldn't do.

I agree that Semin + Sedins could be a good line and it could free up Vrbata for a trade as well but think the trade deadline would be most ideal for him there.

Think this gets a ton more appealing if we could move Miller and his 6m out for a low end draft pick.

Don't think we trade 2 defencemen away... and I also doubt Carolina takes back contract $ if trading the 5th as well... maybe they can retain 1m or something minor but 30% = 2.1m seems like something they wouldn't do.

I agree that Semin + Sedins could be a good line and it could free up Vrbata for a trade as well but think the trade deadline would be most ideal for him there.

Think this gets a ton more appealing if we could move Miller and his 6m out for a low end draft pick.

They arent really taking salary back, they only have 4 dman signed next year and they will be spending the money to do it on the F/A market, where serviceable players are likley not to sign there anyways. I think they would take Tanev and Sbisa, i just think for Van to make the deal work we have to include Sbisa or Bieksa or else we cant fit Semins contract in

if a 5th overall and one of Hanifin or Prorov is attached tp semin.....you make that trade

It likely will be but with that said in this offer we'd be sending CAR tanev (another D) for it. Wouldn't they be smarter to draft Noah? If they are considering trading this pick it's likely for something other than a D, especially if they are also getting rid of the offense of semin. Oilers sending Yak and their 33rd would make more sense.

It likely will be but with that said in this offer we'd be sending CAR tanev (another D) for it. Wouldn't they be smarter to draft Noah? If they are considering trading this pick it's likely for something other than a D, especially if they are also getting rid of the offense of semin. Oilers sending Yak and their 33rd would make more sense.

Carolina not really a heavily funded team, they may want to find a way to get Semin's 21m off the books. Which is the reason why they would trade the 5th.

Also Hanifin looks great but never know if he'd be capable of earning the kind of minutes that Tanev can play. They could use his ability to eat up minutes dependably in every situation.

They arent really taking salary back, they only have 4 dman signed next year and they will be spending the money to do it on the F/A market, where serviceable players are likley not to sign there anyways. I think they would take Tanev and Sbisa, i just think for Van to make the deal work we have to include Sbisa or Bieksa or else we cant fit Semins contract in

Yeah cap situation we'd have to figure something out.

Yeah, I'd do something like these. You can carry Semin as a 13th guy(& water bottle boy, if necc). Guy might fly back home, before the term's up?

Then Vrbata to Mtl/Wash for a 1st.

Then Edler to NYI for Griffin Reinhart.

Kids are fun to watch. Let's open 10~15 mill in cap, go young & land some great picks for a coupla' years.

Yeah, I'd do something like these. You can carry Semin as a 13th guy(& water bottle boy, if necc). Guy might fly back home, before the term's up?

Then Vrbata to Mtl/Wash for a 1st.

Then Edler to NYI for Griffin Reinhart.

Kids are fun to watch. Let's open 10~15 mill in cap, go young & land some great picks for a coupla' years.

That's going too crazy, kids are nice to watch but is Edmonton a good watch? its exciting at times but as a fan 7goal games are frustrating to watch. I like what JB is doing stability is key to ensuring these prospects are able to transition

No argument there.

And the Edm trade makes a ton of sense (barring a possibly gun shy club in regards to russians) and should potentially be done without question. But I will argue on behalf of the Nucks right now

I'd have little issue handing over Tanev and a + if it meant we'd keep our 23rd and pick up a 5th and simply Semin.

We could incorporate Semin somewhere I am sure, and with Pedan/Tryamkin coming he'd help a shade to have more eastern euros/russians around. Added we could play Semin with the twins boost his value through the roof and hope to recoup yet another 1st rounder in 2016. Possibly having 4 consecutive years with a low 1st and high first would absolutely kick our orgs development program in the butt

If there's a possibility I've no doubt benning is looking at it. But I don't think there's a deal there myself

But if there was...damn

No argument there.

And the Edm trade makes a ton of sense (barring a possibly gun shy club in regards to russians) and should potentially be done without question. But I will argue on behalf of the Nucks right now

I'd have little issue handing over Tanev and a + if it meant we'd keep our 23rd and pick up a 5th and simply Semin.

We could incorporate Semin somewhere I am sure, and with Pedan/Tryamkin coming he'd help a shade to have more eastern euros/russians around. Added we could play Semin with the twins boost his value through the roof and hope to recoup yet another 1st rounder in 2016. Possibly having 4 consecutive years with a low 1st and high first would absolutely kick our orgs development program in the butt

If there's a possibility I've no doubt benning is looking at it. But I don't think there's a deal there myself

But if there was...damn

I agree entirely :P

I think it's doable if the Larsson deal goes through to make Tanev bit more expendable.

As with any proposal... probably not going to happen haha

Archived