The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What exactly did Mark Messier do to this team?

canucktican

keenan was more the problem...messier's fault was he didn't stand up for his team against keenan...

keenan didn't like linden and called bure a selfish little puke, which he was...the only one who stood up to keenan was gino odgick....he invited keenan out into the parking lot...keenan killed that team, mentally...ciccone said it best when keenan sat him out in montreal after he spent a lot buying tickets for his family...

he said, i jump off a cliff for him, but i won't kiss his boots...keenan treated linden really bad and ended up trading him...bure was a little more complex, but he felt he wasn't treated right by management...

messier didn't play the way he used to, but people were expecting the great messier instead of the declining messier.

he signed in vancouver strictly for the money. he rarely showed (performed) the way he should/could have, he played like didn't want to be in vancouver from day one, was handed the captaincy even thou it was clear he was the opposite of the leader. he was the biggest disappointment to ever sign in vancouver. followed by the worst coach to ever coach vancouver mike keenan.

he signed in vancouver strictly for the money. he rarely showed (performed) the way he should/could have, he played like didn't want to be in vancouver from day one, was handed the captaincy even thou it was clear he was the opposite of the leader. he was the biggest disappointment to ever sign in vancouver. followed by the worst coach to ever coach vancouver mike keenan.

Bill LaForge?

I call dibs on the trunk.

There isn't really a trunk - it's rear engine and the storage up front is minimal:

trunk11x1.jpg

The flux capacitor takes up all the space it normally has behind the seats though...

ext2kd1x1.jpg

As long as you bring a hover board ;)

Oh, and beer.

My hover board isn't quite working yet, but beer I can do. Some to drink, and some for fuel!

Refueling-doc-brown-trash-back-to-the-fu

That's all Miller's good for anyway...

Messier used to be my favourite player before he became a Canuck but that changed after he came here.

We all know he was in a down turn regarding his career but it was far worse than imagined (this especially given that he was with Bure and Mogilny). Unlike his reputation, his intensity was a non factor. I was at the games and wasted money watching a very piss poor effort. He basically delivered no hits, got into no fights and stayed completely away from getting into the dirty areas/front of the net. He was basically a perimeter type player with no speed or desire. It was such a let down and it felt like he just didn't care.

Many great points in here that nail it perfectly. The organization was desperate to regain 94 glory. So desperate to find success that they hired the very people who tore our hearts out in the 94 cup finals, the enemy.

Imagine if you were beat up at school every single day by a bully, endured never ending torment, only to come home one day to discover your parents have invited your tormentor to live with you... and he takes your bed and you have to sleep on the coach.

Well, maybe not quite that way but the entire Messier - Keenan experience was like rubbing salt in our still open wound.

I was a huge Messier fan from the Oilers dynasty. I wish the Canuck years didn't happen but they did. The fans cared about this team. It never seemed like Messier or Keenan did at all, and it showed.

If you grew up in the 80s, signing Messier felt like signing Chet from Weird Science.

Many great points, however the biggest is running Linden out of town and taking the C. This should be an absolute embarrassment for the franchise, to run your Captain who gave up his body during that 1994 run, all heart and class for a corporate shill in Messier. I think the McCaw era was summed up best by this move. No loyalty to warriors, just about money and ego.

Thankfully Linden is back doing his rightful work with the Canucks. I really started to doubt this organization after the Gillis and Torts era, but bringing back the greatest leader in franchise history restored my faith.

Ignoring the business side and everything else, I couldn't stand watching a supposed leader and elite player basically skate circles between the blue lines for 20 then call it a shift. Obviously I am exaggerating (though I do remember shifts like that) but he really looked like he was just there to collect a (at the time very large) paycheck and didn't care at all about the success of the team.

Ignoring the business side and everything else, I couldn't stand watching a supposed leader and elite player basically skate circles between the blue lines for 20 then call it a shift. Obviously I am exaggerating (though I do remember shifts like that) but he really looked like he was just there to collect a (at the time very large) paycheck and didn't care at all about the success of the team.

No you aren't. Guy was lazy as hell on the ice in addition to being a cancer in the room.

Many great points in here that nail it perfectly. The organization was desperate to regain 94 glory. So desperate to find success that they hired the very people who tore our hearts out in the 94 cup finals, the enemy.

OMG are we repeating history again by signing Benning :frantic:

Sigh... Linden and Messier were both grown men at the time. And warriors. You think Linden hated Messier forever because of that spear in the playoffs? That's something that a conversation over a beer can solve. As for the captaincy being given to Messier, that was 100% Linden's call. He had to have agreed to it. If he didn't, then it's the Canucks brass who did it for him. Either way, part of the Messier sell at the time was about his 'great leadership'. The leadership that saw the Rangers beat the Canucks in 1994. So the C going to him was part of the sell. Again, a Canucks decision and failure that should not be put 100% on Messier.

Thank you, it was all part of the package in bringing Messier to Vancouver. The team offered him all that money, the owner taking him out on the yacht throwing bills his way. If anything the player was in decline and shockingly Vancouver fans were living in the past ( I know right ? ) and thought he was still the battle hardened " warrior " who could bring them the Cup.

Archived