The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What exactly did Mark Messier do to this team?

canucktican

Those were the dark years...I don't like to talk about them much at all....tbh...

Mark Messier: The most hated Vancouver Canuck of all-time?

December 13, 2012. 2:42 pm • Section: Hockey

<span st_url="http://blogs.theprovince.com/2012/12/13/mark-messier-the-most-hated-vancouver-canuck-of-all-time/"st_title="Mark Messier: The most hated Vancouver Canuck of all-time?" class="st_twitter_hcount" displaytext="Twitter" st_via="theprovince" "="" style="border: 0px; margin: 0px 7px 0px 0px; padding: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; float: left; display: inline;">
722826631.jpg
While the rest of the hockey world idolizes him, Canuck fans may have a different opinion of Mark Messier. (Getty Images)

To virtually everyone else, he’s one of the greatest hockey players of all-time. To Canuck fans, he’s the guy who tore the heart and soul out of an entire NHL franchise.

On Wednesday, Mark Messier — along with Paul Henderson and Dave King — was named to the Order of Hockey in Canada and will be honoured by Hockey Canada at a ceremony in Ottawa during the 2013 IIHF women’s world hockey championship in April.

Everyone knows the story. Messier is considered to be one of the greatest leaders in NHL history and was a crucial part of the Edmonton Oilers’ five Stanley Cup victories in 1984, 1985, 1987, 1988 and 1990 as well as another championship with the New York Rangers in 1994 — but let’s not talk about that.

Thanks to Mike Keenan, chairman of the Messier fan club, the 36-year-old signed as a free agent with the Canucks on July 28, 1997 and almost immediately started to leave fans with a bitter taste in their mouths.

Not only did Messier — and to be fair, Keenan — strip quintessential Canuck Trevor Linden of his captaincy, he also demanded to keep the No. 11 from his days with the Oilers and Rangers even though it was unofficially retired by the team in honour of Wayne Maki who died of brain cancer in 1974.

If his off-ice demeanour wasn’t bad enough, his overall plus-minus rating of -37 as a Canuck was laughable and his offensive output was barely average based on a ridiculous five-year contract that paid him $6-million a year in Vancouver.

When Messier was finally bought out by the Canucks in 2000 and proceeded to play out the rest of his career with the Rangers, people thought the gruelling saga of the bald-headed bandit was over.

Not so fast.

In August, the Canucks were forced to pay him a $6-million settlement after a New York-based arbitrator concluded Messier’s grievance over money owed by the team was valid.

Here’s a player who has disgraced the Canucks on almost every level. He has no respect for the history of the team and doesn’t seem to care about its future either. He’s shown time and time again that the only reason he ended up in Vancouver in the first place was because of a hefty paycheck.

Yet here we are at the Order of Hockey in Canada.

Let’s not even get into the validity of the award itself here but I’m assuming that it has something to do with being an upstanding Canadian hockey player and by all accounts Messier proved himself as a legend in Edmonton but you know what city is also in Canada?

Vancouver.

If the Order of Hockey in Canada wants to do things right then they need the full picture and that includes his time with the Canucks which, if included, would expose him as someone whose personal interests trump his passion for the game.

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2012/12/13/mark-messier-the-most-hated-vancouver-canuck-of-all-time/

This^. Quite frankly one of the darkest periods in Canucks history. However, I do believe Naslund and others likely learned leadership in part from Messier. To me it was really just the lack of success and the seeming lack of direction associated with his time here

I only started following hockey around 2009ish so I am not too familiar with the team history. I noticed that he gets a lot of hate within the Canucks community. Why is that? What did he do? Don't tell me he totally messed this team up or he was the reason for our downfall back in the late 1990s. What did he do exactly that messed the team up??

Listen to the announcers very closely and see Trevor Linden in the bottom of the screen crawling to the bench because he was cheap shot just before that, and Messier comes in after just listen. BTW Linden had Broken ribs, and Mark Messier knew this knowing they were going to lose game 6 and have to play a game 7, but Messier being Messier wanted to hurt Linden more.

Also this is from Cliff Ronning who also played in the 94 playoffs for Canucks. And another reason why Trevor Linden is one of the greatest Captains in Canucks History.

"You don't know this, but Trevor Linden had cracked ribs and torn rib cartilage for the last four games of the 1994 Stanley Cup Final," Cliff Ronning said. "You can't imagine what it's like to hear your captain, in a room down the hall, screaming at the top of his lungs as they injected the needle into his rib cage. Knowing him, he probably thought we couldn't hear. He would then walk into our dressing room like nothing had happened. That was inspirational."

This^. Quite frankly one of the darkest periods in Canucks history. However, I do believe Naslund and others likely learned leadership in part from Messier. To me it was really just the lack of success and the seeming lack of direction associated with his time here

That blog failed to acknowledge that the Canucks brought Messier, as well as all the failures during this time, upon themselves. How is that Messier's fault? It's not.

I know it's hard, but we as fans really need to let this go imho.

You remember Biff Tannen in Back to the Future before Marty went back in time and helped his dad grow a pair?

Messier was very much like the original Biff and the Canucks were George McFly.

That's a pretty accurate comparison.

That blog failed to acknowledge that the Canucks brought Messier, as well as all the failures during this time, upon themselves. How is that Messier's fault? It's not.

I know it's hard, but we as fans really need to let this go imho.

Even some of the things like the Captaincy or the No. 11 were things the team could have sat down with everyone on and resolve. Even something simple like Messier acknowledging the history of the number and being proud to share or something would have gone a long ways. Things like him suing for the money is pretty fair to me (he had a contract after all).

As I have said in other posts, he has a lot to account for, but not everything and there is a fair bit of revisionist and incorrect history around it.

Yes, the whole situation was a long time ago and the time to move on was a long time ago as well.

Back in those days the Canucks were young. He violated them and robbed them of their innocence :(

So well said, man. To sit back and watch our all time favourite captain be stripped of his captaincy and given to Mark the Mess and the finally shipped off. Shudder.

Really sucks to see his name on the main board.

This is why Trevor is like a God in this town. And it's all well earned.

"You don't know this, but Trevor Linden had cracked ribs and torn rib cartilage for the last four games of the 1994 Stanley Cup Final," Cliff Ronning said. "You can't imagine what it's like to hear your captain, in a room down the hall, screaming at the top of his lungs as they injected the needle into his rib cage. Knowing him, he probably thought we couldn't hear. He would then walk into our dressing room like nothing had happened. That was inspirational."

Yes, the pressure on Linden must have been high to give up the C to Linden. In the same respect, would the pressure not have been high on Naslund to give Trevor back the C when he came back? No, because Trevor isn't an arrogant piece of sh*t like Messier is. I'm sure Naslund probably offered it, but Linden would never allow it.

Everyone's forgetting the cherry on top... after all these years, he invades our tv screens again in the form of cable company commercials. Always great to be watching a game, only to see his smug mug hawking his wears.

Thankfully, somebody re-dubbed the audio in this one so it's more watchable and truthful...

Simple- he destroyed the Canucks when he was an Oiler, he destroyed the Canucks when he was a Ranger, he let other teams destroy the Canucks when he was a Canuck.

In regards to the captaincy, from what I remember it wasn't management or Messier who really put the pressure on Linden to give up the C, it was the media. Every time Linden was interviewed the press went for the same questions. "Are you giving Messier the C" " Don't you think Messier is a better and more deserving captain?" "Why don't you give him the C" that had more to do with the stripping of the C than Messier.

Also I heard a nasty rumor that he would not share his potato chips with Linden. Linden got mad cause he really liked potato chips and demanded to be traded. Bure left Vancouver because Messier kept trying to Lay with him.

I don't know which is worse, the rapid downfall of the Canucks post-2011 or post-1994.

I didn't like Messier, he didn't help the team at all and who's decision was it to give him Maki's number?

Archived