The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What exactly did Mark Messier do to this team?

canucktican

Question are we not in a bit of a dark age like the late 90's right now?

Last year was like history repeating itself with the whole loungo, torts, and gillis fiasco, and now things still seem uncertain.

It seems like lessons were never learned..

Yes last year we were, but I wouldn't say we are still. They made the right changes to prevent it from continuing, I'd say they did learn. This team with Linden, JB, and WD are in much better place then last year, and have a much better chance of succeeding in the future. My only concern though is between JB and WD, because JB wants youth, yet WD prefers veteran over youth, so these 2 need to get on the same page on this issue, if they don't then this could be a problem.

That blog failed to acknowledge that the Canucks brought Messier, as well as all the failures during this time, upon themselves. How is that Messier's fault? It's not.

I know it's hard, but we as fans really need to let this go imho.

What he did was simply unforgivable. If he had bothered to put the slightest amount of effort out there on the ice, or at least act like a professional off of it, no one would have an issue. The piece of trash spent more time trying to sell chips than he did backchecking. That's on him. The team signed him on good faith that he would at least attempt to play hockey. Instead, he set a negative example by floating around the ice like he'd spent the day on East Hastings.

What he did was simply unforgivable. If he had bothered to put the slightest amount of effort out there on the ice, or at least act like a professional off of it, no one would have an issue. The piece of trash spent more time trying to sell chips than he did backchecking. That's on him. The team signed him on good faith that he would at least attempt to play hockey. Instead, he set a negative example by floating around the ice like he'd spent the day on East Hastings.

Jeez, it's not like he was David Clarkson. Apparently Messier mentored young Nazzy into a leadership role, so there's that. But as stated before, the team was well into their slide before he came along, and a lot of crappy things were happening to the team all around him, so how could it possibly be all on him?

Naslund said that he was influenced by Messier in the way he carried himself as a captain and that influence had something to do with what we got out of Markus throughout all his good years here. It's one positive that should be mentioned.

Naslund said that he was influenced by Messier in the way he carried himself as a captain and that influence had something to do with what we got out of Markus throughout all his good years here. It's one positive that should be mentioned.

Yeah, he learned what not to do.

"We choked" that's not something messier's ego would have ever admitted.

He hated every minute as a canuck. He has been quoted saying if he had a no trade clause contract back in those days he never would have left NYR. He was the biggest reason the canucks lost the cup in 1994 and the canucks thought that bringing him to Vancouver against his wishes would bring the canucks success. nope! he couldn't wait to get out of that sinking ship and back to New York city. I read a lot of hate but imagine being traded to somewhere you didn't want to go and so late in his career.

He wasn't traded here, he signed voluntarily and still decided to disgrace the franchise.

"What haven't I done to the Canucks? I've beat them with the Oilers and Rangers, I've broke their captain's ribs, I destroyed their Stanley Cup run... ah, I know! I haven't played for them yet. I'll sign with them, act all excited, become the captain, disgrace an honoured number, have the fan favourite shipped out, and then I'll proceed to relax for the next three years and do nothing. And when they inevitably buy me out, I'll sue! How does that sound, Wayne? ...Wayne?"

That blog failed to acknowledge that the Canucks brought Messier, as well as all the failures during this time, upon themselves. How is that Messier's fault? It's not.

I know it's hard, but we as fans really need to let this go imho.

I don't disagree with you That the organization was at fault as well. I just don't feel we got a complete effort from Messier but I did acknowledge players like Naslund feeling they learned about leadership from Messier. Much like the Sedins acknowledge Sundin for showing them how to take it to another level.

I don't disagree with you That the organization was at fault as well. I just don't feel we got a complete effort from Messier but I did acknowledge players like Naslund feeling they learned about leadership from Messier. Much like the Sedins acknowledge Sundin for showing them how to take it to another level.

I think that's the worst part for me, and the one you can clearly blame him for was the apparent lack of effort. When Sundin came here he clearly couldn't perform at his level anymore but it least it looked like he tried and cared.

Sooo... both our (old) organisation and Messier is to blame. I'd say 50/50.

It was the organisation that brought him here. It was they who got Keenan as well. And they did not use their veto when Keenan shipped our "boys" (Linden, Odjick, McLean etc...) out of town. That wasn't only Messier/Keenan, but our organisation.

However, Messier acted like a giant tw*t when he requested to play in no 11. Sure, the organisation didn't stop him, but a greater leader would never even suggest to wear that number in a new team (with a special history to no 11)! This was a bad call from Messier, and no one else!

And to accept the captaincy from Linden was also a very bad move. A great leader would have declined that option. And this is solely on Messier and no one else. Even Messier himself has said that this was one of his his biggest mistakes in his career. He shouldn't have accepted that! Once again, his fault!

And the on-ice performance... some says he was on a decline, and yes, he was, due to age, but not to that distinct level. All of us who saw him play the year before, and also the year in NY after our three miserable years, can say to 100% that Messier never really cared about playing here. He was a better player than he showed us. He just didn't give it all. And that's not the organisations fault, it's his. If you buy a service/product, you expect it to be as in the advertisement, not a poor copy. Messier took our money, and he should have cared more for his employer. But didn't!

These three things, is my argument for when I say I really don't care for Messier. I don't hate him, I just dislike him. And I also dislike the organisation for bringing him here. As I said before, it's 50/50.

So don't go defending him and say that it was all the organisations fault, because it wasn't. If Messier had accepted another number, let Linden command the team, and actually tried to play at the level he really was (like Sundin did) those three years might actually have been pretty good... but it wasn't... due to Messier...

Period!

Archived