The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Abandoned railroad question.

Squamfan

For Years now i have noticed a railraod that runs under the skytrain and in some places like

Patterson station u can clearly see train tracks. So my question is was there a rail line in the

exact same spot before the skytrain and what line was it. The rail line is not in any operation because they have taken the track away but at Patterson u can still see the track.

Thanks

I believe they are still owned by CN Rail.

In fact, awhile back in Vancouver a community was turned the tracks into a community garden but then CN Rail destroyed it cause it was on their property, even though the lines were no longer used.

Nope the right of way would belong to translink now.

It was part of the interurban line back in the day. The remainder of the interurban line is now the southern rail of BC and is owned by the Washington group. The province retains the right to run passenger service on that route if it wants.

The line and Kingsway, which was once just known as the Vancouver road (or maybe the New West Road) were the first connections between Vancouver and New West when they were isolated communities and there really was just farmland and forest in Burnaby.

The line that had the gardens on it is owned by CN. It follows the arbutus corridor and then goes along the edge of the Fraser River.

I believe they are still owned by CN Rail.

In fact, awhile back in Vancouver a community was turned the tracks into a community garden but then CN Rail destroyed it cause it was on their property, even though the lines were no longer used.

Nope the right of way would belong to translink now.

It was part of the interurban line back in the day. The remainder of the interurban line is now the southern rail of BC and is owned by the Washington group. The province retains the right to run passenger service on that route if it wants.

The line and Kingsway, which was once just known as the Vancouver road (or maybe the New West Road) were the first connections between Vancouver and New West when they were isolated communities and there really was just farmland and forest in Burnaby.

The line that had the gardens on it is owned by CN. It follows the arbutus corridor and then goes along the edge of the Fraser River.

I believe thats a different line and it owned by CP.That line stopped running in 2006 and CP wants it running again. So the sky train was built then. So the line i am talking about is different. Some places have tracks other places dont

i am talking about is different

I believe thats a different line and it owned by CP.That line stopped running in 2006 and CP wants it running again. So the sky train was built then. So the line i am talking about is different. Some places have tracks other places dont

i am talking about is different

You are correct, it's CP not CN, and the line you are talking about is the old Interurban as others have mentioned. It connected the old BC Hydro Railway (now SRY) with Canadian Pacific's Drake Street yards. This line wasn't exclusive to passengers, after the Interurban was shut down, the line you speak of still operated as a freight through line as mentioned to the Drake Street Yards.

When Skytrain was built they used the right of way on this line since rail operations were dying down by that point and BCHR had many other connections to CP along it's route. The throughway was abandoned a short distance west of Metrotown mall when Skytrain construction began, but Metrotown-New West was still used as an industrial spur up until the mid 90s. I remember seeing trains operate on it while taking the Skytrain to Canucks games.

For Years now i have noticed a railraod that runs under the skytrain and in some places like

Patterson station u can clearly see train tracks. So my question is was there a rail line in the

exact same spot before the skytrain and what line was it. The rail line is not in any operation because they have taken the track away but at Patterson u can still see the track.

Thanks

Not too sure...

It used to be a trolley rail line to New Westminster in the 1950s. The now closed Keg steakhouse in New Westminster was one of its stations.

I miss that Keg. People give them crap for whatever but they have good steaks. now I gotta go to some hipster hellhole that cares more about its micro herb roof garden than a decent cut of meat get a steak around here.

It used to be a trolley rail line to New Westminster in the 1950s. The now closed Keg steakhouse in New Westminster was one of its stations.

The Keg Steakhouse in New West (apparently is now closed) was a CPR station. Not a part of the interurban. It is a heritage site.

http://www.historicplaces.ca/en/rep-reg/place-lieu.aspx?id=3499

We were stupid to get rid of the interurban. Typical government planning. Probably far more reliable than Skytrain is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRuP818oJjQ

The Keg Steakhouse in New West (apparently is now closed) was a CPR station. Not a part of the interurban. It is a heritage site.

http://www.historicplaces.ca/en/rep-reg/place-lieu.aspx?id=3499

We were stupid to get rid of the interurban. Typical government planning. Probably far more reliable than Skytrain is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRuP818oJjQ

What's the reason we got rid of them?

What's the reason we got rid of them?

Two reasons. One, is a conspiracy theory:

General Motors streetcar conspiracy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_streetcar_conspiracy

Pretty much this:

The other reason is the same with everything in the Lower Mainland. Developers wanted land, and people didn't want streetcars blocking their precious cars on major routes.

With all the crap going down with the Skytrain, it's pretty clear to me we should have gone with proven light rail. So what if you need to hire drivers. You're creating more jobs.

Two reasons. One, is a conspiracy theory:

General Motors streetcar conspiracy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_streetcar_conspiracy

Pretty much this:

The other reason is the same with everything in the Lower Mainland. Developers wanted land, and people didn't want streetcars blocking their precious cars on major routes.

With all the crap going down with the Skytrain, it's pretty clear to me we should have gone with proven light rail. So what if you need to hire drivers. You're creating more jobs.

At over $100 million dollars per kilometer of track for the Skytrain every other option would have been far cheaper to build but when transit riders go nuts about how terrible the system is when it goes offline 2 times a year their heads would explode if actual human error with drivers was involved..

Archived