The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Fallen of World War II

Crazy when you think that many, many, many of these people who died were fathers, brothers, sons who had graduated high school, had girlfriends or wives, drove cars, rode bikes maybe, had jobs, had mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, and sons and daughters too. People just like us. All... dead...

We'll never know the absolute numbers from World War 2 let alone World War 1 (which caused so much more than was ever reported due to famine alone.

There was a smart man who once said

I don't know what weapons will be used to fight world war 3

But world war 4 will be fought with sticks and stones

I shudder at the "freedom" all of these brave men and women bought us with their sacrifices

Ok I originally stated that this video is quite accurate in terms of death counts but I don't know any more. They got the Japanese casualties numbers in China all wrong.

I'm sure they lost way more than 200,000 soldiers there. They lost close to 100,000 in Shanghai in 1937, and over another 100,000 fighting for Wuhan in 1938. After 1938 they didn't and could't really win any more battles until 1944. Operation Ichi-Go costed the Japanese another 100,000.

Now I doubt all other figures presented in this video.

Bad video.

Ok I originally stated that this video is quite accurate in terms of death counts but I don't know any more. They got the Japanese casualties numbers in China all wrong.

I'm sure they lost way more than 200,000 soldiers there. They lost close to 100,000 in Shanghai in 1937, and over another 100,000 fighting for Wuhan in 1938. After 1938 they didn't and could't really win any more battles until 1944. Operation Ichi-Go costed the Japanese another 100,000.

Bad video.

Your listing casualties. The video very clearly stated it was only listing deaths.

Bad video.

Because the Imperial Japanese Army would always tell the truth about such things...and their records are to be trusted since they know who didn't collect their pay packet on each pay-day.

Your listing casualties. The video very clearly stated it was only listing deaths.

That is a factor, sure. But even if you take that into the account there is no way Japanese deaths is 200,000 in China and close to 2 million in the Pacific Islands. No way. For 8 years Japanese actually lost more battles in China than they won.

On top of that, casualties numbers is close to deaths numbers in China. In Shanghai alone where they actually kept good records, out of the 100,000 casualties, over 70,000 was confirmed deaths. In one sub-battle of Wuhan, they had 30,000 confirmed deaths. Add those up you have 100,000 already, and that's just a bit over 1 battle early in the war.

Because the Imperial Japanese Army would always tell the truth about such things...and their records are to be trusted since they know who didn't collect their pay packet on each pay-day.

It's all propaganda. They would rather admit to being defeated by the numerically and technologically superior Americans then to admit getting their asses kicked by Sun-Tzu disciples who pulled the same encircling trick on them over and over and over again.

Archived