The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Congratulations! You The Law Biding Citizen Might Now Be A Second Class Citizen

Hugor Hill

https://bccla.org/2015/06/its-official-second-class-citizenship-goes-into-effect/

It’s official – second class citizenship goes into effect Posted on June 3, 2015 by BCCLA

Last Friday, part of Bill C-24 went into effect, officially creating a two-tier citizenship system. As a result of this new law, dual citizens and people who have immigrated to Canada can have their citizenship taken away while other Canadians cannot. The government’s press release last week tried to justify this discriminatory law by raising the threat of “jihadi terrorism,” but Bill C-24 could easily be used against non-terrorists—for example, a journalist who is convicted of a “terrorism offence” in another country for reporting on human rights violations by the government.

Under this law, the only Canadians who can never lose their citizenship are those born in Canada who do not have another nationality (and are not eligible to apply for another nationality). No matter what crimes they may be accused of, these first-class citizens can never have their citizenship taken away. On the other hand, Canadians with another nationality (and those who are eligible to obtain another nationality) now have second-class status, even if they were born in Canada: under Bill C-24, their citizenship can be stripped.

Currently, citizenship can be taken away mainly on the basis of crimes that are considered threats to Canada’s national security, like terrorism or espionage, or demonstrations of disloyalty to Canada, like treason. But legal experts warn that the list of offences that could lead to the removal of citizenship might be expanded in the future. Additionally, Bill C-24 punishes criminal activity with exile – a practice abandoned hundreds of years ago that has no place in today’s democracy.

The government has created an infographic to explain the new citizenship stripping process. There’s one change that really stands out for us in this diagram: the absence of a judge in the new system. The government seems to think that removing the judge improves the process, but we would argue that this makes the process unfair and likely unconstitutional.

Dividing people into different classes that receive different treatment under the law is unfair and un-Canadian. Bill C-24 has turned millions of Canadians into second-class citizens with reduced rights—and as a result, has reduced the value of Canadian citizenship.

We encourage you to share this petition with your friends and family and to let them know about these important changes to the very foundations of citizenship in Canada. Let’s say no to second-class citizenship!

The BCCLA remains committed to challenging this new law in the courts. It is only after the law comes into force (as it did last Friday) that this kind of court challenge is possible. Be sure to sign up to our list to receive updates on our progress with this court challenge.

They're not second class citizens. If they follow the law, they have nothing whatsoever to worry about. However, if they came to the country to cause trouble (i.e. terrorism), they'll find themselves kicked out. I like this.

This, of course, isn't all that's in C-24 either.. also in there is longer residency requirements to become naturalized, more stringent language requirements for naturalization. These are more than sensible.

Its like we're back in the 1800's! Good old days of racial segregation and white supremacy.

FUaTBss.jpg

lets step right into yesterday. This bill clearly says go back to where you came from even to people born here. Lets say a person came here at age 2 or was born here to immigrant parents. He/she has no attachment or any connections to country that they or their parents came from. he/ she can be sent back under this law- even if the chances are rare but they are still there. only way citizenship should be revoked if terror or any other major charge was level against and was upheld by Canadian courts. even thenthere are various factors to be considered. So will govt revoke citizenship if someone is convicted by China, UAE,etc?

Its like we're back in the 1800's! Good old days of racial segregation and white supremacy.

My dad's white. So are his brother and sister. Yet they were born in England - which means they fall under this.

So much for "white supremacy". :picard: Just another example of how people make a mountain out of a mole hill.

Same as the "first class / second class" scare tactic angle some of those that oppose this take.

My dad's white. So are his brother and sister. Yet they were born in England - which means they fall under this.

So much for "white supremacy". :picard: Just another example of how people make a mountain out of a mole hill.

Same as the "first class / second class" scare tactic angle some of those that oppose this take.

I was being facetious ;)

They're not second class citizens. If they follow the law, they have nothing whatsoever to worry about. However, if they came to the country to cause trouble (i.e. terrorism), they'll find themselves kicked out. I like this.

This, of course, isn't all that's in C-24 either.. also in there is longer residency requirements to become naturalized, more stringent language requirements for naturalization,

So if you are born here and cause terrorism you have nothing to worry about. That sounds like two tier to me.

So if you are born here and cause terrorism you have nothing to worry about. That sounds like two tier to me.

Wrong - you will go to jail - here in Canada - unless you commit terrorism in another country - then you could get extradited.

Other changes that are reasonable:

- Lost Canadians" are now eligible for citizenship under C-24.

- Citizenship process has shortened from a three step process to a one step process, which should (in theory) reduce citizenship application times for applications processed past this month once the current backlog has been removed.

- Must file for income taxes to achieve naturalization -- didn't have to before.

- It sets out less ambiguous standards for those filing for citizenship. Before, it was based on arbitrary decision making, now it's more concrete what constitutes evidence of residency.

- Requires citizenship applicants to prove they intend on residing in Canada, and aren't just using the process to get a free passport.

- Permanent Residents who serve in Canada's military can be fast tracked for citizenship.

Overall, it looks like pretty much every aspect of C-24 is a bonus. All this bull $&!# about "racism" and "second class" is much ado about nothing.

So Mr. Ambien is wrong, meaning this IS a two tier system. Good to know.

No, you missed it, you are wrong in saying nothing will happen to you if you were born here an are involved with terrorism.

Edit: Look at it this way - I was born here - they can't deport me to anywhere but here. Someone from another country, can be deported back there and use that country's tax payers dollars to keep them in prison. Note I said "can" - means it may or may not happen, but this gives the government the right to do so.

No, you missed it, you are wrong in saying nothing will happen to you if you were born here an are involved with terrorism.

Of course - I was sarcastingly summarizing what Mr. Ambien was unwittingly implying about the bill. Get it?

You probably don't get it. I really should dumb myself down on CDC.

Of course - I was sarcastingly summarizing what Mr. Ambien was unwittingly implying about the bill. Get it?

You probably don't get it. I really should dumb myself down on CDC.

You can't get any lower than that post - can you? :emot-parrot:

I'm pretty sure Hugor didn't mean that nothing will happen. :rolleyes:

Well that's part of the problem - spreading misinformation than saying - oh, I was being sarcastic.

If that was the case, he should have just replied to my last post his real intentions instead of treating me like a "2nd class" person, by stating he needs to "dumb down" his posts.

Archived