The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Congratulations! You The Law Biding Citizen Might Now Be A Second Class Citizen

Hugor Hill

As I haven't.

But that quote makes it sound like there was 10 nazi's. Not a whole country full... That quote fails to say why so many were on board right from the beginning.

"History is written by the winner" - Napolean Bonaparte

There was not a whole country full of nazis ,there were indeed just a few that millions of sheep were just following orders from.

They're not second class citizens. If they follow the law, they have nothing whatsoever to worry about. However, if they came to the country to cause trouble (i.e. terrorism), they'll find themselves kicked out. I like this.

This, of course, isn't all that's in C-24 either.. also in there is longer residency requirements to become naturalized, more stringent language requirements for naturalization. These are more than sensible.

pretty much this, why does anyone have an issue with this?

As I haven't.

But that quote makes it sound like there was 10 nazi's. Not a whole country full... That quote fails to say why so many were on board right from the beginning.

"History is written by the winner" - Napolean Bonaparte

10 Nazis or a country full of Nazis, doesn't matter. Wrong is wrong. What you are kind of implying is that since the majority was ok with it, then it was ok.

Thank gods we don't live in a dictatorship.

pretty much this, why does anyone have an issue with this?

Because the law concerns terrorism acts, which is very very broadly defined today, committed by citizens.

AND it is an insult to those 2nd class citizens who commits no crime to be included in the same category.

The 'if you are not a terrorist you have nothing to worry about' is not a good enough argument.

If you don't cause terrorism, you have nothing to worry about, period.

One mans terrorist is anothers mans freedom fighter .....Osama freedom fighter in the 80's , terrorist in the 90's.

I have a problem working out who are the "good guys" in todays world.

One mans terrorist is anothers mans freedom fighter .....Osama freedom fighter in the 80's , terrorist in the 90's.

I have a problem working out who are the "good guys" in todays world.

There are very few.

Look for people who give of themselves. Are they leading the fight (good guy) or just managing troops (not good guy)?

Dictatorships (along with a few other things) are fine if they treat their people right. Unfortunately, it's been abused so often that it just has a bad rep for itself.

There are many who will argue that the dictatorship is inherently setup for corruption to benefit the ones at the top, and their friends. I won't go there today.

There are very few.

Look for people who give of themselves. Are they leading the fight (good guy) or just managing troops (not good guy)?

I was being sarcastic Jizzy.

I know exactly who the good guys are.

Here are a couple of them from the society I live in, Senator Nick Xenophon and Senator Sarah Hansen-Young and get this they are actual freedom fighters , battling to keep the hard won freedoms that the conservative right want to take away in the name of terrorism and fighting for the rights of the LGBT community and Asylum seekers.

The first group of young men that were arrested for terrorism here in Aus since the latest fear mongering began have had their charges quietly dropped.

Their arrest was trumpeted loudly followed by new legislation proposed by the conservative Govt that would have stripped some of our rights away.

Then terror charges were dropped against another man in queensland whose arrest was also followed by fear mongering from our PM which included him a day after the first beheading stating that getting beheaded was something that could happen here in australia to an average aussie. In another Time he could have been shot for fear mongering.

There was bugger all media coverage of those charges being dropped.

And then there is Ambien...the anarcho-capitalist who doesn't believe the government has the authority to enforce taxation but sees no problem with that same government revoking citizenships of those born in this country.

Laissez faire economy for some, police state for everyone else.

That's funny, I am waiting to be eligible to apply for my US citizenship and whilst reading the requirements, I read a line that read almost exactly like this new Canadian law. Like others have said, it's pretty straightforward: whether you are born in Canada or not, if you are a Canadian citizen and hold or are eligible for another citizenship, your Canadian citizenship can be taken away if the government thinks you are a danger to the country.

I don't really care, because, fortunately, I follow a 'great' Canadian tradition of 'peaceful negotiation' with my Canadian government. Right, see all those single quotes? That's some Orwellian Newspeak for you.

Dry humour aside, I love Canada, but Canadians need to have the right to protest and speak out. I don't know, maybe I've been living in the US too long, but I fear that Canada will rebrand what terrorism means to include a broader range of 'acts committed by the citizen' just like the US did. The US is known for being horribly draconian, so this is my only fear. I guess we just have to wait and see how it plays out, but I do feel the Canadian government has something up their sleeve by doing this.

Dividing people into different classes that receive different treatment under the law is unfair and un-Canadian.

I beg to differ on that point.

Canada is awash with affirmative action policies. There are special rights and agreements with First Nations, not to mention Quebec's 'cultural protectionism'.

Need a more concise example: Give Canada's Employment Equity Act a read. It's basically government mandated discrimination.

Here's one snippet from the Act:

PURPOSE OF ACT

2. The purpose of this Act is to achieve equality in the workplace so that no person shall be denied employment opportunities or benefits for reasons unrelated to ability and, in the fulfilment of that goal, to correct the conditions of disadvantage in employment experienced by women, aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities by giving effect to the principle that employment equity means more than treating persons in the same way but also requires special measures and the accommodation of differences.

Yeah, by giving preference to specific groups because of their race/gender alone, we somehow will arrive at an equal and unprejudiced society.

NOTE: Notice how the Act is call the EQUITY Act, not the EQUALITY act. There is a difference.

Equality means everyone is given the same opportunity to succeed or fail based on one's merits.

Equity is a policy to prop up a designated group of people regardless of their individual merits. It is discrimination of the highest form.

Here's a link to this piece of $&!# document.

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/E-5.401/FullText.html

Canada is awash with affirmative action policies. There are special rights and agreements with First Nations, not to mention Quebec's 'cultural protectionism'.

Need a more concise example: Give Canada's Employment Equity Act a read. It's basically government mandated discrimination.

PURPOSE OF ACT

2. The purpose of this Act is to achieve equality in the workplace so that no person shall be denied employment opportunities or benefits for reasons unrelated to ability and, in the fulfilment of that goal, to correct the conditions of disadvantage in employment experienced by women, aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities by giving effect to the principle that employment equity means more than treating persons in the same way but also requires special measures and the accommodation of differences.

Yeah, by giving preference to specific groups because of their race/gender alone, we somehow will arrive at an equal and unprejudiced society.

NOTE: Notice how the Act is call the EQUITY Act, not the EQUALITY act. There is a difference.

Equality means everyone is given the same opportunity to succeed or fail based on one's merits.

Equity is a policy to prop up a designated group of people regardless of their individual merits. It is discrimination of the highest form.

Here's a link to this piece of crap document.

Reminds me of the job postings from the 90's "Single White Males need not apply"....

PURPOSE OF ACT

Here's a link to this piece of crap document.

But it's just discriminating against whites therefore it's not discrimination, and very Canadian.

But it's just discriminating against whites therefore it's not discrimination, and very Canadian.

Exactly there's a forum member here who is very discriminate and racist towards white people, but when hate or discrimination is against a white person it is no longer wrong. #Equality.

Every Canadian citizen who is convicted of treason or terrorism acts against Canada should be stripped of their citizenship and kicked out of this country, regardless of whether they have another citizenship elsewhere or not. We'll even help you file your refugee claim with the US if you like.

Let's start with Stephen Harper.

PURPOSE OF ACT

LOL! I think CBC is the only employer in this country who takes this Act seriously.

Archived