The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

City of Glendale meeting to determine fate of NHL's Coyotes

Sprint Center was opened in 2007.

17,544 capacity for hockey.

If Paul Allen changes his mind, they could move to Moda Center in Portland. 18,280 capacity.

Interestingly enough Anschutz Entertainment Group own's both arenas.

Portland would work for me too. But...there's Paul Allen.

FFS, just move the team. The city doesn't want them, the fans don't care. Give that team to a hockey city that wants a team to love

This was always going to happen ever since the building permit was approved.

2015-16: Barclay's Centre gets the Isles.

2016-17: Vegas enters. Expansion draft. Florida relocates to QC. Rogers Place opens in Edm.

2017-18: Phoenix relocates to KC. New Joe Louis Arena.

2018-19: Seattle expansion and draft. New Ottawa Arena downtown.

2019-20: New Calgary Arena.

If it goes anything like this that's 9 new arenas which will all be close to capacity at higher revenues that currently being taken in.

The NHL doesn't need the Cdn dollar to go up to par to increase revenue.

I've always thought that Arizona would make it until the end of their lease clause in 2017 but that may be pushed up a year.

Its old and tiring for some, unless you are the taxpayer paying 15 million for the team and get nothing from it. How can a hockey team bring business in to a community if no one is paying to watch it?

No apparently its only convenient for people in Canada to go to those games in Glendale and pay next to nothing for their tix. If I'm a taxpayer I'd be pissed for signing this deal, at the cost of police and firefighters. Yeah, this is a dead horse, but it should have been buried by now.

I wonder how hard the Canadian ownership group will try to keep the team in Glendale. Seems like the perfect out to get the team to a better market where they can make money. Botch the court case get booted out - relocate to quebec make boatloads of cash?

I always thought the new ownership had the ace of relocation in their pocket. Some how it has to be Seattle! It would have the highest benefit for the Canucks. Ya, I know, since when did the NHL give to hoots about the Canucks.

As long as Quebec is collecting Equalization payments I would not support a team being relocated there. My tax dollars already subsidize enough BS in this country.

So what would happen if they got voted out? NHL scrambles to place them in an arena for 2016 and does 29 teams for the upcoming season?

If there was some case where the management agreement deal was voided due to misappropriation of the funds and there wasn't time to set up the franchise in another location, they'd just have to proceed with everything else as is and set up the move process for the following season. This news doesn't necessarily mean the City of Glendale is kicking out the Coyotes, but rather that they'd stop paying the Coyotes to keep them around.

I always thought the new ownership had the ace of relocation in their pocket. Some how it has to be Seattle! It would have the highest benefit for the Canucks. Ya, I know, since when did the NHL give to hoots about the Canucks.

Seattle would be cool - I just really don't want another team in Canada - like the previous buyer who wanted to put the team there - I think it would hurt the exisitng Canadien markets. Las Vegas is talked about as another new expansion city but I think it's a bad idea. Hot sun and ice sports don't go together. I remember reading they took a bunch of season ticket deposits in Las Vegas but then it tailed off next to nothing - so the league is concerned that demand won't be there.

Seattle would be cool - I just really don't want another team in Canada - like the previous buyer who wanted to put the team there - I think it would hurt the exisitng Canadien markets. Las Vegas is talked about as another new expansion city but I think it's a bad idea. Hot sun and ice sports don't go together. I remember reading they took a bunch of season ticket deposits in Las Vegas but then it tailed off next to nothing - so the league is concerned that demand won't be there.

I like the idea of Seattle or Las Vegas but neither of them have a building in place that could house a relocated ARZ team by next season could they? If the city decides no to ARZ do they need to relocate to another city next season? If so thats quite a difficult situation to resolve over night. Hopefully Betman and co have been seriously looking at the options. I would guess Quebec or another hot u.s. market take it. Not sure where else though would work. Seattles arena be sweet but isnt it super old.

I like the idea of Seattle or Las Vegas but neither of them have a building in place that could house a relocated ARZ team by next season could they? If the city decides no to ARZ do they need to relocate to another city next season? If so thats quite a difficult situation to resolve over night. Hopefully Betman and co have been seriously looking at the options. I would guess Quebec or another hot u.s. market take it. Not sure where else though would work. Seattles arena be sweet but isnt it super old.

The NHL agreed to let them play in key arena till a new arena could be constructed last time they almost left, they even went as far as blocking dates at key arena. I see no reason they wouldn't alow the same situation this time?

I don't think the league would be just allowing them to go anyplace that has a building, they are going to want them to move to a city that fits with there plans. Right now that would be Seattle, LV, or Quebec by the looks of it.

This whole situation is getting confusing, for years all I hear is they are losing money, even this year they lost money. Yesterday I read about LeBlanc saying the team isn't going anywhere, and they made money this year, and he even went on about how he wouldn't want to move the team because it wouldn't be fair to his loyal and great fans. Last time I checked they don't get fans to the games, so whatever he says just doesn't make sense.

This whole situation is getting confusing, for years all I hear is they are losing money, even this year they lost money. Yesterday I read about LeBlanc saying the team isn't going anywhere, and they made money this year, and he even went on about how he wouldn't want to move the team because it wouldn't be fair to his loyal and great fans. Last time I checked they don't get fans to the games, so whatever he says just doesn't make sense.

Could be that they made money off the city? Take that away and?

Archived