The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

City of Glendale meeting to determine fate of NHL's Coyotes

City of Glendale has killed the agreement, according to Gino Reda TSN. Now the legal battles begin, oh to be a lawyer.

at least someone's making money off the Coyotes

just GTFO already, Quebec or Seattle

Anybody know anything about the 'Yotes TV deal?

Once upon a time, that was supposed to be a big asset, being in one of the largest TV markets in the country without any regional competition.

Its old and tiring for some, unless you are the taxpayer paying 15 million for the team and get nothing from it. How can a hockey team bring business in to a community if no one is paying to watch it?

I don't know. Ask Abbotsford.

Glendale city council cancels arena lease agreement; what's next for Yotes?

By: Adam Proteau on June 10, 2015

A day after the city of Glendale, Ariz., angered the owners of the NHLs Arizona Coyotes with the announcement it would be exploringthe possibility of voiding the teams lease agreement with Gila River Arena, the municipality voted to do just that. And the decision made by city councillors late Wednesday evening in a 5-2 public vote has once again put the franchise back in the spotlight for all the wrong reasons and renewed speculation it may relocate.

The teams response to the decision was immediate and dismayed.

We are disappointed with the citys decision to violate its obligations under the agreement that was entered into and duly approved only two years ago, Coyotes co-owner, president and C.E.O. Anthony LeBlanc said in a statement. We will exhaust any and all legal remedies against the city of Glendale for this blatant violation of its contractual obligations to us.

The Coyotes signed a 15-year, $225-million arena lease with Glendale in 2013, but the vote narrowly passed a city council vote at that time, and changes have since taken place to the composition of the council. Members who voted to dissolve the agreement cited an Arizona statute permitting a government agency to cancel a contract if an employee directly connected to the agreement becomes an employee or agent to the other party, and in this case, former city attorney Craig Tindall was hired as the Coyotes general counsel in 2013. And while the municipality issued a statement prior to Wednesdays vote that it was open to renegotiating the lease in the wake of the cancellation of the deal, the Coyotes made it clear they had no intention of agreeing to such a resolution.

Asked about the news on Hockey Night In Canadas broadcast of Game 4 of the Stanley Cup Final, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman also spoke out harshly against the developments in Arizona,telling Sportsnets Scott Oake, Im actually really not concerned about the Coyotes; if I lived in Glendale, Id be concerned about my government, because all this is about is an attempt to renegotiate a lease that was negotiated in good faith and validly adopted by the city council in Glendale less than two years ago.

If this is how Glendale does business, I think theyre going to have far more problems than dealing with the Coyotes.

Should the Coyotes and Glendale officials fail to come to terms on a new long-term lease deal in the coming weeks and months either via respectful negotiation or after a protracted legal battle the central question in the minds of many hockey insiders is where the franchise winds up. There are a few prominent suitors making no bones about their willingness to welcome an NHL team to their city, with the most prominent being focused on situating a franchise in Quebec City, Las Vegas, Seattle, and, a little further behind the pack, Southern Ontario. Quebec City and Las Vegas have or will soon have a world-class hockey facility that can host a big-league team, but Bettman has made it clear the league looks at factors other than arenas when deciding which markets are properly prepared to enter into a partnership with the NHL.

Regardless of the particulars, the optics of the Coyotes being dragged back into financial limbo is exhausting to just about everyone involved, from veteran players such as Shane Doan to innocent bystanders such as team officials and employees, not to mention the organizations fans, media and Bettman himself. And in a political environment where the public is increasingly unwilling to hand out tax dollars to professional sports franchises, the Coyotes may not have a white-knight savior capable of keeping them in town for very much longer.

http://m.thn.com/blog/glendale-city-council-cancels-arena-lease-agreement-whats-next-for-yotes/

This might be the end of the Coyotes.... One can hope anyways. This is going to create another crap show, to go with the gigantic gong show. Get your head out of your butt Gary. The Coyotes have been dead since 2009, it's over. From the moment this lease was signed, everybody knew it would fail miserably. It was a terrible, if not possibly illegal deal in the first place that made the tax payers sponsor the Coyotes. Glendale did the smart thing in terminating the deal. Get them out of the desert gong show already. Enough is enough.

It will be up to the courts to decide whether the Coyotes hiring the former city employee would be considered a "material breach" of the contract and would be enough to void it.

You can breach minor parts of a contract without it being voided entirely, but a material breach is one that is big and serious enough to completely wipe it away. I have some doubts at to whether this would be the case here.

It doesn't matter a lot though, the city can refuse to pay until it is resolved... no one will buy seasons tickets, and no corporate sponsors will buy luxury boxes or pay for advertising until they know the team will be there. If the team moves, you would almost certainly never get you season's ticket deposit back as the ownership entity would quickly cease to exist and use any sale proceeds to pay debts and priority creditors.

Any sane business would pack up and move somewhere they are wanted. The owners could happily want this as they could start earning money instead of losing it. The league however is not sane, and could easily try to fight this on principal. They forced other owners to lose tens of millions a year instead of being able to sell to a willing buyer and makings hundreds of millions.

If they move the franchise I see Quebec city as being the destination. Nowhere else is there a ready NHL arena, and no way they are relocating to a prime spot like Vegas because the league wants the massive expansion fees that would generate.

I can't think of another smaller market place that has an arena that the team could move to.

the Riders have some season ticket holders that drive 400+ km to attend home games

Is the CFL like the NFL, whereas they only play one game a week and its usually played on the weekend? Cause its a big difference between driving 400km to one game every other weekend and driving 400km on a Tuesday and then again on a Thursday. A hockey season is going to include a helluva lot of 400km drives for those STH's.

Any sane business would pack up and move somewhere they are wanted. The owners could happily want this as they could start earning money instead of losing it. The league however is not sane, and could easily try to fight this on principal. They forced other owners to lose tens of millions a year instead of being able to sell to a willing buyer and makings hundreds of millions.

I think this will be the lasting legacy regarding Bettman and the NHL.

It's an experiment that started a few lockouts ago, hence forcing all the money making teams to supplement the teams losing money, hoping that eventually the NHL would become popular in a place where it's not.

It will be up to the courts to decide whether the Coyotes hiring the former city employee would be considered a "material breach" of the contract and would be enough to void it.

You can breach minor parts of a contract without it being voided entirely, but a material breach is one that is big and serious enough to completely wipe it away. I have some doubts at to whether this would be the case here.

It doesn't matter a lot though, the city can refuse to pay until it is resolved... no one will buy seasons tickets, and no corporate sponsors will buy luxury boxes or pay for advertising until they know the team will be there. If the team moves, you would almost certainly never get you season's ticket deposit back as the ownership entity would quickly cease to exist and use any sale proceeds to pay debts and priority creditors.

If they move the franchise I see Quebec city as being the destination. Nowhere else is there a ready NHL arena, and no way they are relocating to a prime spot like Vegas because the league wants the massive expansion fees that would generate.

I can't think of another smaller market place that has an arena that the team could move to.

Kansas City has been mentioned. They have a facility in place, so does Portland Ore.

Its old and tiring for some, unless you are the taxpayer paying 15 million for the team and get nothing from it. How can a hockey team bring business in to a community if no one is paying to watch it?

Hahaha, the taxpayer...as if they've ever been a consideration. I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts that IF the Coyotes get moved, the taxes won't go down a cent.

Hahaha, the taxpayer...as if they've ever been a consideration. I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts that IF the Coyotes get moved, the taxes won't go down a cent.

This is true but it has nothing to do with weather the tax payers should be paying for the team. It's not like the money if not used for the team will be put through the office shreder, it will find a use that is more in line with how tax payer money should be used.

This is true but it has nothing to do with weather the tax payers should be paying for the team. It's not like the money if not used for the team will be put through the office shreder, it will find a use that is more in line with how tax payer money should be used.

I can't fathom how a City in a non hockey market as the previous administration did, could explain to the citizens of their city how this was a good deal for them. Political suicide is all that was. That councilman going on and on to the fire fighter in the chamber about how much he respects what they do, yada yada. Then says this is a good deal for Glendale. You'll have less policing and fire protection, but you get a hockey team that loses money guaranteed.

I can't fathom how a City in a non hockey market as the previous administration did, could explain to the citizens of their city how this was a good deal for them. Political suicide is all that was. That councilman going on and on to the fire fighter in the chamber about how much he respects what they do, yada yada. Then says this is a good deal for Glendale. You'll have less policing and fire protection, but you get a hockey team that loses money guaranteed.

Love how this fan rips the mayor a new one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UfOfAvNVJU#t=12

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting on a relocation. Lawyers are flying lazy circles over Glendale, when they land they can drag this out for decades, this will be a fight to the death, probably Glendale's as the NHL will want to bleed every penny out of CoG before moving on to its next victim. I think Glendale is about to get hit with a financial Atom Bomb that will take generations to recover from, if at all.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting on a relocation. Lawyers are flying lazy circles over Glendale, when they land they can drag this out for decades, this will be a fight to the death, probably Glendale's as the NHL will want to bleed every penny out of CoG before moving on to its next victim. I think Glendale is about to get hit with a financial Atom Bomb that will take generations to recover from, if at all.

Gotta love Corporate 'Murica.

Archived