The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

City of Glendale meeting to determine fate of NHL's Coyotes

It will be up to the courts to decide whether the Coyotes hiring the former city employee would be considered a "material breach" of the contract and would be enough to void it.

You can breach minor parts of a contract without it being voided entirely, but a material breach is one that is big and serious enough to completely wipe it away. I have some doubts at to whether this would be the case here.

It doesn't matter a lot though, the city can refuse to pay until it is resolved... no one will buy seasons tickets, and no corporate sponsors will buy luxury boxes or pay for advertising until they know the team will be there. If the team moves, you would almost certainly never get you season's ticket deposit back as the ownership entity would quickly cease to exist and use any sale proceeds to pay debts and priority creditors.

Any sane business would pack up and move somewhere they are wanted. The owners could happily want this as they could start earning money instead of losing it. The league however is not sane, and could easily try to fight this on principal. They forced other owners to lose tens of millions a year instead of being able to sell to a willing buyer and makings hundreds of millions.

If they move the franchise I see Quebec city as being the destination. Nowhere else is there a ready NHL arena, and no way they are relocating to a prime spot like Vegas because the league wants the massive expansion fees that would generate.

I can't think of another smaller market place that has an arena that the team could move to.

Glendale Vote To End Coyotes Lease Could Cost NHL $1 Billion

Call it the domino effect.

The city council in Glendale has voted to opt out of its lease agreement with the Arizona Coyotes and the NHL team is countering by planning to sue the city for $200 million. What does this mean for the future of hockey in the southwest?

Forget the debacle in Arizona for a moment. I think one of the consequences could be no NHL expansion team in Las Vegas, at least not in the near term. Same thing with expanding to Seattle. The league presumably would have to add two teams to keep a balanced schedule. After all, how could commissioner Gary Bettman add two more franchises to the 30-team league while there is so much uncertainty over the state of the Arizona franchise?

That could mean the NHL says goodbye to the $500 million expansion fee it was reportedly looking to get for each expansion team. adding a team in Las Vegas. That works out to $33 million per owner down the drain for the time being.

A renegotiation of the Coyotes lease to Gila River Arena with the city in which the taxpayers are not on the hook for $15 million a year is possible, of course. But then thered be another domino effect: What would a lower subsidy mean for the $305 million enterprise value Andrew Barroway agreed to pay last year to eventually become majority owner of the team?

Barroway has not ponied up all his loot yet. Can he walk away? Would he? Then what?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2015/06/11/glendale-vote-to-end-coyotes-lease-could-cost-nhl-1billion/

^^^^ This guy may have his MBA but he doesn't understand the NHL BOG at all.

He makes assumptions about why they couldn't have an imbalanced league that are baseless. The NHL cares not one lick about a temporary optical smudge on their character. Anyone paying attention would know that.

Nice to see this year's instalment of the Coyotes being in trouble.

Irks me how hard Bettman has fought for them for the better part of 8 years and yet was all too happy to let the Jets and Nordiques move.

^^^^ This guy may have his MBA but he doesn't understand the NHL BOG at all.

He makes assumptions about why they couldn't have an imbalanced league that are baseless. The NHL cares not one lick about a temporary optical smudge on their character. Anyone paying attention would know that.

Especially when the league played with an odd number of teams from the late 70's until the early 90's

I just read this on TSN..... Wow!

The city of Glendale will contact venue management companies to start booking dates at Gila River Arena for this fall and winter, according to Glendale's vice mayor. Ian Hugh added to TSN that the Arizona Coyotes, who were tenants under an agreement that the city cancelled on Wednesday night, are without a place to play their home games.

Reminds me of Steinbeck's unrivalled classic,'Mice & Men'.

They wanted to shoot ol' Candy's mutt, & put it out of it's aging, stinking misery.

I think Slim did the deed, whilst dog-owner Candy cried like a baby.

Meanwhile Bettman treats us all collectively as if he's lecturing Lenny, promising we can feed alfalfa to the freekin' rabbits! So tired how this US-centric joke of a league is run. House of credit-cards, that Canadians fund.

Sorry Bettman..your whole sunbelt-plan amounts to a foreclosed farm. If the economy ever unravels, we're gonna see some HARSH Darwinian-struggle to see who's fittest.

They talk of expanding; just ignore the complaining owners & possible moving vans.

The wayward, futile dreams of mice & men...

Glendale Vote To End Coyotes Lease Could Cost NHL $1 Billion

Call it the domino effect.

The city council in Glendale has voted to opt out of its lease agreement with the Arizona Coyotes and the NHL team is countering by planning to sue the city for $200 million. What does this mean for the future of hockey in the southwest?

Forget the debacle in Arizona for a moment. I think one of the consequences could be no NHL expansion team in Las Vegas, at least not in the near term. Same thing with expanding to Seattle. The league presumably would have to add two teams to keep a balanced schedule. After all, how could commissioner Gary Bettman add two more franchises to the 30-team league while there is so much uncertainty over the state of the Arizona franchise?

That could mean the NHL says goodbye to the $500 million expansion fee it was reportedly looking to get for each expansion team. adding a team in Las Vegas. That works out to $33 million per owner down the drain for the time being.

A renegotiation of the Coyotes lease to Gila River Arena with the city in which the taxpayers are not on the hook for $15 million a year is possible, of course. But then thered be another domino effect: What would a lower subsidy mean for the $305 million enterprise value Andrew Barroway agreed to pay last year to eventually become majority owner of the team?

Barroway has not ponied up all his loot yet. Can he walk away? Would he? Then what?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2015/06/11/glendale-vote-to-end-coyotes-lease-could-cost-nhl-1billion/

The Coyotes will continue to play hockey in Arizona, you can pretty much bank on it.

When the Coyotes say that they will file 200 million lawsuit, they will win that suit and the vote to cancel the lease will likely be overturned by the courts in the next 30 days.

Its amazing how little politicians know about actual legal process and rights.

The question is, if you own the Coyotes, do you want to continue long term, playing in a community that the politicians are quickly walking into bankruptcy. No one there will be able to afford to buy tickets because of the tax hikes they will be facing to pay the settlements and legal costs the city is about to run up.

The Coyotes will continue to play hockey in Arizona, you can pretty much bank on it.

When the Coyotes say that they will file 200 million lawsuit, they will win that suit and the vote to cancel the lease will likely be overturned by the courts in the next 30 days.

The question is, if you own the Coyotes, do you want to continue long term, playing in a community that the politicians are quickly walking into bankruptcy. No one there will be able to afford to buy tickets because of the tax hikes they will be facing to pay the settlements and legal costs the city is about to run up.

If you think they're going to play in glendale, who do you think will go to those games??? If I lived there I certainly wouldn't. I think they've played their last game in the desert. Can you imagine being a league in a city that doesn't want you in their building? At least not at the price that it's costing its citizens to fund.

The buyers of the Coyotes were fully aware of the financial status of the city of Glendale. That's why I'm sure they were drooling all over themselves to try and take a sweetheart deal with a city that recklessly issues bonds and has been driving it's own credit rating through the floor.

The importance of taking a deal like that was for there to be a taxpayer subsidy and ability to walk away from the contract.

No doubt the city has been shooting itself in the foot with it's stupid financial deals (to where it had elevating the importance of the Coyotes above emergency services), but this deal really shouldn't be allowed to stand. Where's Goldwater when you need them?

So basically Borroway wants to put the city in economic turmoil because they aren't willing to pay him to lose money, yet he preaches how much he loves the city and the people. Imbicile. How did this guy get away with buying the team?

Oh that's right, Bettman was too stubborn and fargone to move the team so he frantically sold it to the highest bidder and now he's paying for it.

How is it that people with power in the NHL are Neanderthals?

I really don't get it. The owners have to be bleeding money. The city is giving them an out.

1,2,3,4, what you fighting for?

Just move. There's not enough fans. The city doesn't want to subsidize you.

Sorry Gary, you lost. IceArizona gets the benefit of relocation.

Pounding a square peg into a round hole doesn't work.

So they are going to sue the hand that feeds? Then what? Expect to have a nice relationship with them afterwords? I mean, what are you trying to accomplish by a lawsuit? Better get plan B going right now.

Nice to see this year's instalment of the Coyotes being in trouble.

Irks me how hard Bettman has fought for them for the better part of 8 years and yet was all too happy to let the Jets and Nordiques move.

The Jets & Nordiques relocating can't entirely be blamed on Bettman...the Canadian dollar was exchanging at $1.40 in '96, Canadian teams took in revenue in Canadian dollars, but had to pay players in American dollars, & salaries were skyrocketing out of control...Calgary & Edmonton almost had to move as well, the Senators changed ownership before they'd even played a game.

Imhotep was not a god. He's was just a bureaucrat.

Although...La Belle Province does tend to deify its politicians.

It's funny that people just accept facts portrayed in movies as real.

Imhotep was also a holy man and a healer. People would do pilgrimages to his city to be "healed" by him.

Archived