The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Saudi Arabia Hosts Human Rights Summit (I swear I'm not making this up)

nucklehead

Maybe for the hypocritical oligarchs, not so much for the average citizen.

Yeah. Don't know about SA, but Dubai, for instance, has swimming pools where women are allowed to wear bikinis but everywhere else they have to adhere to the country's strict wardrobe customs. Of course, only certain people are allow to go to these swimming pools.

Hypocritical is the right word.

In regards to Christian subjective beliefs, although I will have take the Mr Ambien's words literally, I would say he is referring to the fact there is no factual evidence of a God or Gods. By definition, that makes the belief structure in Christianity subjective. That's not to say there is no objective belief in religion. Some of the history is proven as factual.

My subjective belief is that Saudi Arabia is country of chauvinistic, West hating, Ferrari driving Shieks who have half-naked women feed them grapes while lying on a pile of silk blankets.

My objective belief is that Saudi Arabia has committed far too many documented human rights abuses to host this event.

I wouldn't doubt the subjective part lol.. The Saudi royals are known to live some pretty fracked up lifestyles. They take luxury to the fullest limit...

Meh, Saudi Arabia is more westernized than you think.

This.. The whole Middle East in general is slowly becoming westernized even the most repressive states like Iran and Saudia Arabia are bending over to some pressure.. Take for example Iran they replaced some of their anti-western propaganda posters in favour of western style art pieces...

Yeah. Don't know about SA, but Dubai, for instance, has swimming pools where women are allowed to wear bikinis but everywhere else they have to adhere to the country's strict wardrobe customs. Of course, only certain people are allow to go to these swimming pools.

Hypocritical is the right word.

Dubai is hardly a Muslim country anyway its more like the Las Vegas of the Middle East..

Meh, when the oil runs out we will see how Allah really feels about them.

The oil isn't going away anytime soon.. and if the Saudi clan can still cling to power they have more than enough money from investments, etc.. to support themselves.

The country on the other hand might be fracked if the oil is gone..

Not that I support this.. but honestly is their any country in the world aside from Easter Island or something that could host this conference without being criticized for their poor human rights record?, and I mean past and present..

Well Easter Island isn't a country (it's part of Chile) so no. However, some countries have much better current Human Rights records than Saudi Arabia does.

Any country that discriminates against it's own citizens on the basis of their gender is a poor candidate for hosting such an event.

Well Easter Island isn't a country (it's part of Chile) so no. However, some countries have much better current Human Rights records than Saudi Arabia does.

Any country that discriminates against it's own citizens on the basis of their gender is a poor candidate for hosting such an event.

It's not even the gender thing that's the worst issue. It's if you're gay or non-religious. That is asking for the death penalty. I'd say "some" is a conservative estimate. I'd say there's only a few dozen (2-4) countries similar or worse when it comes to human rights.

Not that I support this.. but honestly is their any country in the world aside from Easter Island or something that could host this conference without being criticized for their poor human rights record?, and I mean past and present..

Whys that relevant? Who cares what happened 500 years ago. We progress as a society.

Whys that relevant? Who cares what happened 500 years ago. We progress as a society.

Would you let the US or Germany or Japan or even Canada hold this conference? All have major human rights errors within the last century.

This.. The whole Middle East in general is slowly becoming westernized even the most repressive states like Iran and Saudia Arabia are bending over to some pressure.. Take for example Iran they replaced some of their anti-western propaganda posters in favour of western style art pieces...

The while middle east except for that massive part under the control of ISIS, which took things back to the dark ages.

Iran has a long way to go too. They've put up more paintings but upped the militias and executes.

The while middle east except for that massive part under the control of ISIS, which took things back to the dark ages.

Iran has a long way to go too. They've put up more paintings but upped the militias and executes.

Westernising ? You make that sound like a good thing to be a stupid ,selfish, greedy A-hole.

And even when they do start westernising as Iran did in the late 90's , early 00's it only takes some idiot son of an a-hole to make some axis of evil comment to set the process back by years and allow the hard line religious nutjobs to take back power.

Westernising ? You make that sound like a good thing to be a stupid ,selfish, greedy A-hole.

And even when they do start westernising as Iran did in the late 90's , early 00's it only takes some idiot son of an a-hole to make some axis of evil comment to set the process back by years and allow the hard line religious nutjobs to take back power.

Firstly, I didn't use the word "Westernizing" at all in my post. Secondly, the Iranians need to take responsibility for their own actions. Someone referring to you as part of an axis of evil does not give you an excuse to openly execute homosexuals.

Your perspective also seems obsessed with the West vs. Iran angle, when the far bigger conflict playing out right now is between Iran vs. the Sunni states. Iran has set up militias in Lebanon, Yemen, Iraq, and Syria. This was under their own volition and had been occurring far before GWB made any comments.

Would you let the US or Germany or Japan or even Canada hold this conference? All have major human rights errors within the last century.

Those countries are at least working towards human rights, which is what the conference is about. They are at least attempting to tackle issues like Gay Marriage, aboriginal reparations, etc...Meanwhile Saudi Arabia is lashing people for blogging:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jun/11/saudi-blogger-raif-badawi-next-lashes-friday

Your right that no country has a perfect, or even great record, but there are degrees of fault. Many of you need to appreciate that you are allowed to slag Canada/Harper on this forum without receiving a prison sentence.

Firstly, I didn't use the word "Westernizing" at all in my post. Secondly, the Iranians need to take responsibility for their own actions. Someone referring to you as part of an axis of evil does not give you an excuse to openly execute homosexuals.

Your perspective also seems obsessed with the West vs. Iran angle, when the far bigger conflict playing out right now is between Iran vs. the Sunni states. Iran has set up militias in Lebanon, Yemen, Iraq, and Syria. This was under their own volition and had been occurring far before GWB made any comments.

You did not have to , it was implicit in your reply.

Take responsibility ? thats your riposte for the repercussions of bushes statements ? the real victims of which were/are the Iranian people.

As usual you have no actual facts just some BS .

The facts are that Iran was westernising then ,bushes comments blew the moderates away , both figuratively and actually, allowing the hardliners a foot back in the door.

I feel the need to counter your anti-iran , iran is the bogey-man BS.

What can one say about people who believe in the same god but will argue and kill over who they believe the legitimate leaders of their relgion are , which is the fundamental difference between the 2 sects.

Hey if the fighting Irish managed to end the christian V christian wars maybe these guys can agree on which of the heirs of the first four caliphs actually has the right to lead their religion.

Archived