The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Aboriginal Stanley cup Rioter receives lighter sentence in part due to her heritage

WilliesStache14

As an Aboriginal myself I think this is stupid. She gets off lighter because she is Aboriginal? Makes us seem like savages. "Oh she's Aboriginal? Rioting is just what they do. Let her off easy." Not to mention as a Canucks fan she brought shame to us as a whole. Hit her with the full force of the law dammit.

I am Native, and I am more offended by this post than this thread.

To the OP, the article says "CBC also notes that Judge Harris referred to the recent Truth and Reconciliation Report depicting years of “cultural genocide” as well as Vanichuk’s “broken, addicted family” as reasons why the defendant is also a victim of abuse."

The judge would have heard the defendant and made this assessment. It's unfortunate that you and some others who have commented on this thread do not realize the modern day affects of this cultural genocide. Many Aboriginal Canadians were raised by abusive parents, or grew up in government care as a result of policies, law and racism that ran rampant (and still continues, even within this thread).

Many Canadians are just learning about the horrors of residential schools because our own education system ignored a real history. Probably most who read this thread have no idea what Indian hospitals were, yet we had them in BC. (And many Aboriginal Canadians who were forced to go to an Indian hospital never made it out.) Those who have lived a life of privilege have done so at the expense of others in this province.

why this response only has one like is beyond me, come on people, 1st sensible response I see in regards, Vancity Buzz posts this sensationalist crap and stoke an already burning fire, media crap

As an Aboriginal myself I think this is stupid. She gets off lighter because she is Aboriginal? Makes us seem like savages. "Oh she's Aboriginal? Rioting is just what they do. Let her off easy." Not to mention as a Canucks fan she brought shame to us as a whole. Hit her with the full force of the law dammit.

It's refreshing to see this. Good for you. I am confident you will be successful in life.

Unfortunately many Aboriginals are very good at playing the race card and making people feel guilty over things they aren't responsible for in order to duck out of taking responsibility for their own actions.

why this response only has one like is beyond me, come on people, 1st sensible response I see in regards, Vancity Buzz posts this sensationalist crap and stoke an already burning fire, media crap

Vancity Buzz is the same rag that posted about the Chinese toodler and his grandmother letting him pee in a garbage bin at a Richmond Mall. I am not too surprised that they would publish this crap....

If anyone bothered to read the article closely they would know the she reached out for help in 2013 which was one of the reasons for the judges decision.

Need more people taking responsibility. Props to you.

Where does it ever state she's a Canucks fan?

For all the uneducated fools saying Natives get a free ride, I hope you're reincarnated as a First Nations in your next life.

Sounds like you're just Implying that all First Nations peoples have terrible lives.

"What a curse it would be to be born First Nations, you'd have such an awful life for sure!"

Archived