The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Summer 2015

Hi there,

First time poster, long time reader. This is the summer gameplan I dream for.

Draft

Transactions

* Trade 1 ---> Eddie Lack ---> Edmonton ---> 33 OA 2015 + 86 OA 2015

(Analysis 1: Chiarelli and Benning understand that Eddie Lack is a high value player for Edmonton. This makes me think a deal will be swung for Edmonton's second and third round picks )

** Trade 2 ---> Chris Higgins -> Wherever ---> Pick = f(OA, 2015, (62 or 63 or 65 or 66 or 73 or 77))

(Analysis 2: Teams with these pics have needs on LW and could use some depth as contracts expire)

Possible picks

23 ----------->(Brock Boeser, RW) or (Denis Guryanov, RW)

33*----------> (Vince Dunn, D) or (Nicolas Meloche, D) or (Jack Roslovic, C/RW)

(62 to 77)**-->(Roope Hintz, LW/RW) or (Ryan Gropp, LW) or (Rasmus Andersson, D)

86*----------->(Brendan Guhle, D) or (Keegan Kolesar, RW) or (Andrew Nielsen, D)

114 ---------->(Filip Ahl, LW) or (Robin Kovacs, LW/RW) or (Pius Suter, C)

144 ---------> (Caleb Jones) or (Veeti Vainio, D) or (Ethan Bear, D)

149 ---------> (Veeti Vainio, D) or (Nicholas Boka, D)

174 ---------> (Keoni Texeira, D) or (Stephen Desrocher, D)

Ideal picks

D: Vince Dunn, Brendan Guhle, Caleb Jones, Veeti Vainio, Keoni Texeira

LW: Filip Ahl (meh, suggest a better sleeper at 114)

RW: Brock Boeser, Roope Hintz

Prospect Depth

---LW ------------------------- C ------------------------- RW---

Baertschi Horvat Virtanen

Shinkaruk McCann Boeser

Ahl Cassels Kassian

Kenins Gaunce Hintz

---LH------------------RH---

Clendening

Dunn

Corrado Ghule

Subban Tryamkin

Vainio Jones

Texeira

Pedan

2015 NHL lineup

---LW ----------------------- C ------------------------RW---
D. Sedin H. Sedin Burrows
Baertschi Horvat Vrbata/Jensen
Hansen Bonino Kassian/Virtanen
Kenins Gaunce/O'Reilly Dorsett

-LD-------------RD---

Edler Tanev

Weber Hamhuis

Sbisa Stanton

Clendening Bieksa

Corrado Pedan

----------G-----------

Miller

Markstrom

I hope guys like Gaunce, Jensen, and Virtanen are able to spend the time they earned in the NHl developing.

Well, what do you all think?

Cheers.

Clendening is a RH shot, Gaunce has been moved to LW for quite some time now. Baertschi will be on the team as will Clendening and probably Corrado. All 3 are waiver eligible.

Virtanen will be on the team barring an absolutely terrible summer and training camp.

Jensen will not be anywhere near the NHL roster without a significant improvement.

Current NHL depth + above named players:

LW C RW

--------------------------------------------

D. Sedin H. Sedin A. Burrows

S. Baertschi N. Bonino R. Vrbata

C. Higgins B. Horvat J. Virtanen

R. Kenins* L. Vey* Z. Kassian

B. McMillan* J. Hansen

D. Dorsett

LD RD

----------------------------

A. Edler C. Tanev

D. Hamhuis K. Bieksa

L. Sbisa A. Clendening

R. Stanton* F. Corrado

Y. Weber*

G

-----

R. Miller

E. Lack

J. Markstrom*

* Denotes RFA

The above bolded players are the ones I see being moved at the draft to try and either reclaim picks or move up certain picks to get players higher on their draft list relative to where they drop to in later rounds.

I could see a package of Higgins + Kassian + Lack + 1st 23 OVA to move up 5-7 spots in the 1st (16-17-18 -> Edmonton-Winnipeg-Ottawa), especially if any of the projected T15 fall.

Winnipeg and Ottawa do not need goaltending, and given Benning and Chiarelli's past history, I see Edmonton being the fit.

For Edmonton, they get their solid Goaltender, a veteran presence with defensive awareness and a young-ish project RW. Kassian's stock is a little low right now given his injury status, but Chirarelli was interested in him going into this past trade deadline.

For the above package, I'd expect JB to get Edmonton's 16th OVA, 33rd OVA (Their own), and 57th OVA (2nd round pick from MTL)

Without our 23 OVA, I'd drop the return from Edm to the 16th OVA and 57th OVA

With Weber's showing last year, I think he's improved his value to that of at least a 3rd round pick.

I think Stanton is either kept and they try to drop him through waivers, or he's qualified and kept for one more year until he hits UFA status then walks. If he's moved it will probably be for a 4th or 5th which IMO isn't worth it, as we would need him for depth purposes.

Hamhuis and Bieksa, along with Vrbata will all be kept at least until this years coming trade deadline. Whether they move or not will depend on where the team is in the standings, if it looks like the Canucks are in jeopardy of missing the playoffs, they'll be dealt to the highest bidder looking to bolster their playoff rosters.

The above moves would leave us with the following NHL roster:

LW C RW

--------------------------------------------

D. Sedin H. Sedin A. Burrows

S. Baertschi N. Bonino R. Vrbata

D. Dorsett B. Horvat J. Hansen

R. Kenins L. Vey J. Virtanen

B. McMillan

LD RD

----------------------------

A. Edler C. Tanev

D. Hamhuis K. Bieksa

L. Sbisa A. Clendening

R. Stanton F. Corrado

G

-----

R. Miller

J. Markstrom

That satisfies the 23 man roster, carrying two extra defencemen and one extra forward. And if you look at the future scenario of potentially dealing off assets for picks and prospects at the deadline, there's more than enough NHL caliber depth to fill in for Hamhuis, Bieksa and Vrbata if all are dealt. I'd also venture a guess that if the above three are dealt, so too will Hansen and Burrows, further improving our chances at drafting future gems. Benning has been on record as stating he believes the 2016 draft will be much deeper in later rounds than this years draft.

Personally speaking, I don't think Miller will be nearly as good next year as he was this past season, and prior to his knee injury he was subpar at best. With Markstrom as the full time back up, I could definitely see this team being in contention for Chychrun next draft.

I know the Canucks will certainly try, but they will not sacrifice the future success of this team for immediate short term help, and if the remnants of this old core can't get it done next season, I don't expect them to remain, aside from the Sedins.

Clendening is a RH shot, Gaunce has been moved to LW for quite some time now. Baertschi will be on the team as will Clendening and probably Corrado. All 3 are waiver eligible.

Virtanen will be on the team barring an absolutely terrible summer and training camp.

Jensen will not be anywhere near the NHL roster without a significant improvement.

Oops, I switched Clendening.

Gaunce is a mobile prospect as he has played C and is now playing LW. So it really just depends on situational coaching needs. Having said that, I kind of forgot about Vey, so I plugged Gaunce in instead.

I agree that Clendening, Corrado, and Baertschi will definitely be on the team.

I also agree that Virtanen will be in roster dependant on summer progress.

And I also agree that Jensen is unlikely to be on roster unless he has a really great summer and camp.

I could see a package of Higgins + Kassian + Lack + 1st 23 OVA to move up 5-7 spots in the 1st (16-17-18 -> Edmonton-Winnipeg-Ottawa), especially if any of the projected T15 fall.

Now I struggled with what to do regarding Kassian. I've never really liked the guy. I see him as more of a novelty / interesting personality type player. I always thought he was weak on his stick and not as effective physically as he is hyped to be. Seems to me to be more of a relic from our post 2011 attempt to replicate some of Boston's physicality. BUT! I want to keep him and see how he rebounds from a bad back. Because I have a bad back and it really sucks the life out of you.

if you look at the future scenario of potentially dealing off assets for picks and prospects at the deadline, there's more than enough NHL caliber depth to fill in for Hamhuis, Bieksa and Vrbata if all are dealt. I'd also venture a guess that if the above three are dealt, so too will Hansen and Burrows, further improving our chances at drafting future gems.

I 100% agree with you. Hamhuis, Vrbata, Bieksa, Hansen and Burrows could probably bring in 2 firsts, 3 seconds and 2 B-Prospects if dealt intelligently to contenders near the draft. This is also what I am hoping for :)

I don't think Miller will be nearly as good next year as he was this past season, and prior to his knee injury he was subpar at best. With Markstrom as the full time back up, I could definitely see this team being in contention for Chychrun next draft.

I know the Canucks will certainly try, but they will not sacrifice the future success of this team for immediate short term help, and if the remnants of this old core can't get it done next season, I don't expect them to remain, aside from the Sedins.

I agree with you that Miller will decline. But his work ethic, experience, and focus will be a great asset guiding Markstrom's development. I think Marky is a really good goalie and that Miller can make him great. Also I don't think they will be as bad as you imagining.

I 100% agree with you that we should not sacrifice future assets by selfishly holding onto old roster players and a few playoff games. We really need a total rebuild but this will occur over the next 2 full seasons I believe.

Of course Chychrun is a beauty. But I think our team will be surprisingly good next season with some youth infused, so I don't envision us in his range.

One question for you:

Is Linden Vey good enough to be an NHL centreman?

Thank you,

Z

Archived