The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NAACP leader Rachel Dolezal is actually white, her family claims: ‘It’s a farce’

DonLever

U mean where ur ancestors have been.

I don't see the big deal. She lives like a black women, identifies with them. Plenty of bananas and coconuts here in Canada, yellow or brown outside, but white inside. That's ok. The whole notion of positions or jobs only for a certain ethnic appearance is retarded. What ur ethnic background is is irrelevant. What a person values matter the most.

If she identifies with the black community that's fine, but why not just say that instead of lying about her background?

Well guess what, we all have ancestors who lived in Africa....you just need to go back far enough.

Misrepresenting herself is unethical and insults the trust people put in her as a leader.

Anyway....

Well we all evolved from species in the ocean if we go back far enough. In fact, we all have single celled ancestors if we go back far enough. That's a moot point.

The point I was making is that african-americans that have lived in the US for a few generations (or since slavery) are not Africans culturally and would have little in common with people of Africa other than skin color. They are actually Americans culturally. Maybe there is a subculture in there but it's hardly based on Africa.

What she did was try to belong to a culture by lying about it. It's not the same as if someone white wants to belong to a culture by adopting their traditions etc.

Why does her background matter? If she feels black, she must be.

She can adopt the traditions of a culture and most people would find that to be a praise of their culture. But to darken your skin through tanning (I'm assuming that's what happened based on her pictures when she was younger) and lying about her race is the equivalent of me of narrowing my eyes using scotch tape or something just because I wanted to open an Asian restaurant. That's how offensive this is.

Archived