The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why the Canucks will miss the Playoffs Next Year

JamesB

Canucks shouldn't miss the playoffs this year but I won't be surprised if they do due to other teams climbing the ladder with their team strength growing, Dallas and Colorado may bounce back and there's only so many slots available for the playoffs. I doubt Edmonton is ready for it yet and Calgary is like a clouded judgement, Yoda can't see through it to see what will happen.

Lack has enough trade value right now, Markstrom wouldn't generate enough value in return. I'm for keeping Miller, he's a proven goaltender and can hold up til the team gets a goaltender in a few years. Right now the Canucks need to thicken up the defense, it was like a paper bag often last season.

Same thread as last year lol, Canucks are still a playoff team

Was just going to post this. This seems eerily reminiscent of a very similar thread last off season.

Next year, like this year, we'll likely be a playoff bubble team. Just in or just out.

I think Chiarelli still has his work cut out for him. I think they are a couple years away from making an impact unless he can wheel and deal and really bolster defence and goaltending all this summer.

He has something his predecessors didn't. The ability to move players without fans getting upset. Any of the young guns can be moved for defense because McDavid is coming anyways.

Expect huge changes and while maybe not next season a team that will run circles around ours too soon.

He has something his predecessors didn't. The ability to move players without fans getting upset. Any of the young guns can be moved for defense because McDavid is coming anyways.

Expect huge changes and while maybe not next season a team that will run circles around ours too soon.

Yeah if they bring in a couple of vets on defense a goaltender and some grit no more free points off them for a long time. Some trade proposals have Lack and Kassian to the Coil, why give a hated rival in your own division exactly what they need.

I ask this question on CDC about every 6 months. How many bad seasons could the City of Vancouver take before the attendance became problematic?

Trading good older vets now would handicap the team's short term performance, but strengthen the team as a whole in the long term.

Constant first round playoff exits can lead to long and short term mediocrity.

The majority of the Canucks history has been "bad seasons" and the team is still here. People will go to watch hockey regardless.

If the Canucks endure multiple seasons of ineptitude they won't sell out every game, but attendance still would not become "problematic".

The only time this ever was an issue was when the team was in its dark ages and the Canadian dollar was so low that teams in diehard markets like Quebec and Winnipeg still couldn't flourish.

Basically, the people saying that as soon as the team starts to suck no one will go to games are the same people that say Canucks have the worst fanbase on the planet and all of us are baby eating serial killers (yet magically don't include themselves when they rag on the fanbase.)

Oh good lord. The Cup hasn't even been awarded this year and yet despite the fact that we haven't made our off-season trades or drafted anyone yet this season and we have yet to see how our prospects are looking and who can crack the lineup next season people are already jumping on the "We won't even make the playoffs" bandwagon already.

And being that he just got here, how does Benning have a "propensity to overpay" already enshrined in fans' minds?

This is why I try resist the itch and avoid the forum in the summer...

Yes but you have to hit on at least a few late round picks in order to build a real contender, especially for this franchise. Only one I can think of is Bure, and that was because we thought nobody else could pick him! Exactly the kind of luck we need to become contenders again

We've had a few gems in later rounds....Edler,Bieksa,Smyl....we do need that luck without a doubt...Hopefully Benning gets it right and gets a few blue chippers late in the draft.

Was just going to post this. This seems eerily reminiscent of a very similar thread last off season.

Next year, like this year, we'll likely be a playoff bubble team. Just in or just out.

Remember the "Canucks aren't even in the same GALAXY as the California teams" sobbing? And that was well past the draft into the summer. A thread like this before even a single off-season move has been made is pretty silly.

You mean like McDavid run rings round Cassels? :towel:

There is more to winning hockey matches than putting a lot of draft picks in the team. It is character that wins hockey games.

You are a wise man if you can predict that TL, JB and Willie D will stand by and watch Vancouver being outclassed by Edmonton in 3 years time.

You are imo underestimating JB's cunning and scouting expertise and Willie's coaching ability and knack of getting the best out of youth.

You mean like McDavid run rings round Cassels? :towel:

There is more to winning hockey matches than putting a lot of draft picks in the team. It is character that wins hockey games.

You are a wise man if you can predict that TL, JB and Willie D will stand by and watch Vancouver being outclassed by Edmonton in 3 years time.

You are imo underestimating JB's cunning and scouting expertise and Willie's coaching ability and knack of getting the best out of youth.

Nothing wise. Look at the youth in the Oil system and look at ours

If we are better over the next few seasons it'll be either because benning can turn lead into gold (and I'll gladly label him a wizard if he did) or the Oilers turned gold into lead (not likely because the biggest hurdle to their success was replaced)

As of now the Oilers have a pretty easy and hard to mess up path with their glut of young talent that many teams will easily trade for and a sudden desirable place for UFA's to go on top of being an instant NHL darling

Canucks have an uphill climb with poor value vets and a fear of allowing youth to climb into the ranks. Cassels hemming in McDavid? I would have him in the lineup just for that but I would guess he'll be in Utica for a while

Keep in mind I despise the Oilers and have stated if they win a cup before us as of now then I am done with the NHL so it's in my best interests to be wrong.

If we are better over the next few seasons it'll be either because benning can turn lead into gold (and I'll gladly label him a wizard if he did) or the Oilers turned gold into lead (not likely because the biggest hurdle to their success was replaced)

As of now the Oilers have a pretty easy and hard to mess up path with their glut of young talent that many teams will easily trade for and a sudden desirable place for UFA's to go on top of being an instant NHL darling

Canucks have an uphill climb with poor value vets and a fear of allowing youth to climb into the ranks. Cassels hemming in McDavid? I would have him in the lineup just for that but I would guess he'll be in Utica for a while

Keep in mind I despise the Oilers and have stated if they win a cup before us as of now then I am done with the NHL so it's in my best interests to be wrong.

This whole "Cassels shutdown McDavid" narrative is completely garbage. Firstly, anyone who watched that series knows that McDavid absolutely dominated Cassels 5v5 with possession and scoring chances. Secondly, Cassels wasn't out against McDavid every shift, if any individual credit for slowing down McDavid it would be their goalie Appleby. Thirdly, and speaking of shut down vs slow down, McDavid still scored at 2 goals and 5 assists in 5 games. That is a 1.4 PPG rate.

It is much more likely that Appleby had a good series and McDavid had a couple mediocre games than Cassels shutdown McDavid.

if we trade lack we are not making the playoffs . every nhl start markstrom has played he lost , so if we have a miller /markstrom tandem we are in big trouble

Doesn't mean he will never win again, though. But, yes, definitely a wild card.

Okay, let's see... Nurse, Draisaitl... crickets.

"Hard to mess up"? Been paying attention the past half-dozen years?

"Glut" of young talent? Even HF has them ranked 25th in the league. 3 or 4 already on the team and 3-4 with potential is not a "glut".

I really don't get this Oiler-envy, and despite their continued incompetence it continues unabated year after year.

When I say "youth in the system" I am referring their NHL line up as well compared to ours.

Top to bottom they will have an easier time moving players for defense then us. It's not Oilers envy, it's just the reality of the situation. We are likely not making any big changes and most of our trades will be moving youth for either picks or bottom six filler. (Lack, Kassian and Jensen being likely gone)

Oilers are in a better postion to get better than us. If you had a choice to make a winner using either lineups from top to bottom would you choose ours or theirs to start with? Not many would choose ours right now,

And yes the Oilers have been screwing up for many years but are you going to still count on that with the new GM and coach?

When I say "youth in the system" I am referring their NHL line up as well compared to ours.

And I said:

"Glut" of young talent? Even HF has them ranked 25th in the league. 3 or 4 already on the team and 3-4 with potential is not a "glut".

If you had a choice to make a winner using either lineups from top to bottom would you choose ours or theirs to start with? Not many would choose ours right now,

I would. Canucks have better and more assets to work with, both on the roster and in the system.

Archived