The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why the Canucks will miss the Playoffs Next Year

JamesB

why would jb make the team worse with a full rebuild? he is supposed to be the guru of talent. what better talent to pick from than the junior pool and what better way to pick from that talent than with high end picks?

I wouldn't call him a guru, he's just likely better at it then MG, Nonis and Burke

I won't be surprised if Chicago misses the playoffs next year. Yes, I said Chicago.

With 2 contracts kicking in that total 21 million, and the players they need to resign, their fate for the year will really depend om the job they do trading at least one key piece fo make cap space.

I ask this question on CDC about every 6 months. How many bad seasons could the City of Vancouver take before the attendance became problematic?

Trading good older vets now would handicap the team's short term performance, but strengthen the team as a whole in the long term.

Constant first round playoff exits can lead to long and short term mediocrity.

I ask this question on CDC about every 6 months. How many bad seasons could the City of Vancouver take before the attendance became problematic?

Trading good older vets now would handicap the team's short term performance, but strengthen the team as a whole in the long term.

Constant first round playoff exits can lead to long and short term mediocrity.

Who doesn't have doubts about this "develop players in a winning environment" strategy that is becoming Canuck managements' mantra?

The Canucks have 2 top 10 picks in the system (Horvat 9, Virtanen 6) is this enough? Well some people think that development is much more important than drafting. You may end up with a higher percentage of draft picks in the league but what about quality high end guys. Isn't draft high and develop well the ultimate? Or can you only really do one at a time?

Well, we'll see.

I do think that the owner really wants the cup. Also, he's not afraid to spend money to do so. He is eating it on Gillis' and Torts' contracts and he sunk a lot of money into Utica. Is he really that worried about short term $ and missing the playoffs for a couple of years if the ultimate prize is at the end? There are no assurances even if a team tanks and gets top 5 picks for 2-3 years.

So I'm pulled both ways but as a cup half full guy, I'm going to get behind the strategy as long as management sticks to it.

I think that as long are there's hope or a light at the end of the tunnel, the fans can stay with the team. To answer your question, 2-3 years but only if fans can see that the benefits are coming.

Why on earth would you put all that time and energy into next years prediction before there's been a draft, free agency approaching and trades in that mix ?

I'm waiting until next regular season starts.

Until then we'll all have to listen to the panicky Pete's worrying about resigning players and the salary cap...

Looking at this off season,I doubt we will sign or trade for someone that will instantly change the balance of power in the Western Conference....Players taken at the draft will be at least a year or two down the road...So the question of "Canucks may not make the playoffs" is fair game..IMO...

im at a point with this team, Where I could care less about the playoffs....

people seem obsessed with that as if that's the ultimate goal. Who in their right minds really thought this team had a shot this year even after making the playoffs?

who honestly thinks this team is a legit contender next year or even 2-3 years from now?

The only thing I want now is a cup, and I am 100% certain that until the core of Sedins, Burrows, Bieksa, Edler, and Miller are here, we don't have a chance in hell. They are just way too stale/washed up and take up a huge chunk of the teams payroll where you cant build anything around them.

this team needed a proper rebuild 2 years ago

Who doesn't have doubts about this "develop players in a winning environment" strategy that is becoming Canuck managements' mantra?

The Canucks have 2 top 10 picks in the system (Horvat 9, Virtanen 6) is this enough? Well some people think that development is much more important than drafting. You may end up with a higher percentage of draft picks in the league but what about quality high end guys. Isn't draft high and develop well the ultimate? Or can you only really do one at a time?

Well, we'll see.

I do think that the owner really wants the cup. Also, he's not afraid to spend money to do so. He is eating it on Gillis' and Torts' contracts and he sunk a lot of money into Utica. Is he really that worried about short term $ and missing the playoffs for a couple of years if the ultimate prize is at the end? There are no assurances even if a team tanks and gets top 5 picks for 2-3 years.

So I'm pulled both ways but as a cup half full guy, I'm going to get behind the strategy as long as management sticks to it.

I think that as long are there's hope or a light at the end of the tunnel, the fans can stay with the team. To answer your question, 2-3 years but only if fans can see that the benefits are coming.

Personally I'd like to see the older players get traded for younger nearly ready or already ready young NHL talent, while their trade value is high. I don't live in Vancouver and I don't have to pay ridiculous amounts of cash for tickets, so it's easy enough for me to say go for a total rebuild when the cost of it isn't coming out of my pocket.

Unless they make some bigger changes/additions/adjustments than presented by the OP, I think there is no question that they will be hard pressed to make the playoffs. But, I expect at least a couple more changes (trades, RFA, etc.) so a lot will will depend on those as others have said.

If nothing is done to address the fact that Weber is in the top four, or Sbisa depending which playoff pairing was considered the 5-6; I'm not going to lose any thought about playoffs or whatever; the offense and goaltending aren't perfect, but they aren't the reason the team faltered vs. Calgary.

The only thing I care about this summer is what Benning plans do to with the defense.

Same thread as last year lol, Canucks are still a playoff team

Circumstances were a lot different last year than this year....Last year,the debate was whether Tort's season was an anomaly or not (which it most definitely was)....

I was going to say the same thing as Honky Cat. Last year I was one of many people who predicted that the Canucks would bounce back and would the make the playoffs. As many people pointed out at the time Torts was such a terrible coach that we had to expect a bounceback. The Sedins, Burrows, Edler and others had a terrible year with Torts and, as expected, they bounced back once we got a good coach again.

Things are different this year. Age-related decline is important as the most important players on the team are on the wrong side of the age trajectory (Sedins, Miller, Burrows, Hammer, Bieksa, and others). And another important factor is what other teams are doing. Anaheim, LA, Edmonton and Calgary will all be tough competitors next year.

It is true that every year some CDC poster are pessimists (or trolls) and some are optimists,

Personally, I am optimistic about the future. I really like what Benning has done with the young players. But they will not be able to contribute much next year. But down the road the young players Benning has added to the pipeline (Virtanen, McCann, Demko, Tryamkin, Pedan, Beartschi, and others) could be very good. But I would be even more optimistic if Benning had another high (top 10) draft pick and maybe a couple of extra first rounders (for deadline trades) next year.

Oh look, another "every team will improve except the Canucks" thread. I've seen a million of these. They underestimate the Canucks and overestimate everyone else.

Nonsense.

Exactly.

We had it in spades last season. People saying how most of the teams in the West would "feast" on us.

Of course when that didn't happen they started trying to pick holes in the management and rookie coaching.

There are people on here who will not be happy until this team is wrecked, that way they get to moan after every game.

Your point about "overestimating everyone else" is very perceptive. They have no idea how players on the other teams play other than the "names" and assume apparently that they have no hard working journeymen who make mistakes just like our own players and that they are all super human beasts, who play to perfection every night.

It's the same with their coaches. Apparently there are 20+ coaches out there who never slip up, never make a tactical error, never select "the wrong" player, never play "their favourites" and turn all their rookie prospects into stars over night. You have to wonder how they are not all in the Stanley Cup Finals.

Of course it would be wrong if everyone of us were happy clappers and no one had a different opinion. Indeed this place would become boring in no time at all.

However some of these armchair coaches and GMs might do us all a favour and employ a little more logic, a little more balance and now and again, take a wider perspective, if for no other reason than to preserve the sanity of the rest of us.

I was going to say the same thing as Honky Cat. Last year I was one of many people who predicted that the Canucks would bounce back and would the make the playoffs. As many people pointed out at the time Torts was such a terrible coach that we had to expect a bounceback. The Sedins, Burrows, Edler and others had a terrible year with Torts and, as expected, they bounced back once we got a good coach again.

Things are different this year. Age-related decline is important as the most important players on the team are on the wrong side of the age trajectory (Sedins, Miller, Burrows, Hammer, Bieksa, and others). And another important factor is what other teams are doing. Anaheim, LA, Edmonton and Calgary will all be tough competitors next year.

It is true that every year some CDC poster are pessimists (or trolls) and some are optimists,

Personally, I am optimistic about the future. I really like what Benning has done with the young players. But they will not be able to contribute much next year. But down the road the young players Benning has added to the pipeline (Virtanen, McCann, Demko, Tryamkin, Pedan, Beartschi, and others) could be very good. But I would be even more optimistic if Benning had another high (top 10) draft pick and maybe a couple of extra first rounders (for deadline trades) next year.

I agree with the latter part of this but I don't think we have to be picking in the top ten to get "real good" players. The league is scattered with great players who were picked below 30.

P.A. Parenteau.........264th Dustin Byfuglien...........245th

Andrew Brunette......174th Milan Hejduk................. 87th

Daniel Alfredsson.... 133rd Jamie Benn..................189th

Sami Kapanen...........87th Pavel Datsyuk...............171st

I agree with the latter part of this but I don't think we have to be picking in the top ten to get "real good" players. The league is scattered with great players who were picked below 30.

P.A. Parenteau.........264th Dustin Byfuglien...........245th

Andrew Brunette......174th Milan Hejduk................. 87th

Daniel Alfredsson.... 133rd Jamie Benn..................189th

Sami Kapanen...........87th Pavel Datsyuk...............171st

C'mon Alf........All these players were passed over several times ,even by the teams that drafted them....There's always that minor % of players that bloom at a late stage and become stars...The meat of the matter is in the top 10.

C'mon Alf........All these players were passed over several times ,even by the teams that drafted them....There's always that minor % of players that bloom at a late stage and become stars...The meat of the matter is in the top 10.

Yes but you have to hit on at least a few late round picks in order to build a real contender, especially for this franchise. Only one I can think of is Bure, and that was because we thought nobody else could pick him! Exactly the kind of luck we need to become contenders again

Why the Canucks will miss the playoffs next year.

Colorado/Dallas/Winnipeg/San Jose/LA/Edmonton cannot be counted on to have bad years to ensure our playoff berth. And with Chiarelli in Edmonton they cannot be counted on the be total bottom feeders anymore

4 losses within our division saw LA in the playoffs and us not. Just think on that for a moment.

I think Chiarelli still has his work cut out for him. I think they are a couple years away from making an impact unless he can wheel and deal and really bolster defence and goaltending all this summer.

Archived