The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will Benning Offer Sheet Any RFA's After July 1

SabreFan1

With the RFA pool being sorta deep this year, will Benning offer sheet anybody? Remember, if you take a player you have to compensate the other team with draft picks, not to mention that the other GMs will be pretty ticked off.

I don't know enough about Benning to even venture a good guess about his position on signing RFAs to offer sheets. I'm genuinely asking.

Benning stated that they will look at the Rfa'a of other teams. They are meeting this week to formulate a plan for this year. If they find an Rfa who they think can make their team better they will make a hockey trade to get that player. Benning did not say anything about offer sheets.

Yea talk of signing RFA is really overrated, no GM in the league who wants to make future transactions would do that. As previous posters state, we have neither the cap or the willingness to give up draft picks. If we were a team that was one specific type of player away from the Cup, then yes it may be worth the gamble, but at this point we need picks

Benning stated that they will look at the Rfa'a of other teams. They are meeting this week to formulate a plan for this year. If they find an Rfa who they think can make their team better they will make a hockey trade to get that player. Benning did not say anything about offer sheets.

If this is the case and he sees an RFA that strikes his fancy, then tendering an offer is the next step in the process.

Doughy, Keith, Chara, Letang, Lidstrom, Niedermayer....

It has been about a decade (since the 2006 Hurricanes) since the team winning the Stanley Cup has lacked an elite puck-moving dman. With more being made about zone entries, etc., I think this type of dman becomes the new 'first line centre' (if it isn't already).

I don't think the Canucks send out the offer sheet, but Dougie Hamilton could be seeing a lot of dollar signs this summer.

Just checked the rules... so if the Canucks pay the RFA more than 2.88 million, they have to give up a first rounder. Then it goes up to massive 4 first rounder penalties... The majority of players you would want would need to be signed over that salary range.

That's pretty expensive indeed. Unless it's Brandon Saad or something, probably not gonna be worth it. The rules make it like that.

Now that you mention it... a good candidate for picking up RFAs would be a team that has a first rounder, but a lousy late round first rounder like the Canucks, Blackhawks or Anaheim... hmm. A first rounder for us is nowhere near the same value as a team like Edmonton. Maybe this is an incentive for the better teams to go after RFAs.

Drafter Benning needs picks to draft. It's his favorite sideshow.

With the RFA pool being sorta deep this year, will Benning offer sheet anybody? Remember, if you take a player you have to compensate the other team with draft picks, not to mention that the other GMs will be pretty ticked off.

I don't know enough about Benning to even venture a good guess about his position on signing RFAs to offer sheets. I'm genuinely asking.

I would give an offer sheet to Tarasenko sign him to 8+ million a year. There is no way that the blues let him walk and you force them to pay him market value.

Archived