The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will Benning Offer Sheet Any RFA's After July 1

SabreFan1

I would give an offer sheet to Tarasenko sign him to 8+ million a year. There is no way that the blues let him walk and you force them to pay him market value.

I'd do the same he's am unreal talent and needs to be paid accordingly if we snagged him which is 99% unlikely then we got a hell of a player

I'd do the same he's am unreal talent and needs to be paid accordingly if we snagged him which is 99% unlikely then we got a hell of a player

Yea even at 4 draft picks I don't see the Blues letting him go. He is one of the best snipers in the league.

Doughy, Keith, Chara, Letang, Lidstrom, Niedermayer....

It has been about a decade (since the 2006 Hurricanes) since the team winning the Stanley Cup has lacked an elite puck-moving dman. With more being made about zone entries, etc., I think this type of dman becomes the new 'first line centre' (if it isn't already).

I don't think the Canucks send out the offer sheet, but Dougie Hamilton could be seeing a lot of dollar signs this summer.

Letang was nowhere near elite when the Penguins won the cup. In fact, he was their #6 dman.

ES TOI/G

1 - Brooks Orpik (17:59)

2 - Rob Scuderi (17:30)

3 - Hal Gill (16:42)

4 - Sergei Gonchar (16:02)

5 - Mark Eaton (15:40)

6 - Kris Letang (14:27)

I don't see him to be the type of guy that does that. He seems more like an old boys network guy.

We just got out of a regime that couldn't trade with anyone, lets not hope for another one who alienates every other GM

That's what I'm worried about the GM of my hometown team doing. He has already publicly said that if the right player comes along that he would be willing to tender an offer.

Letang was nowhere near elite when the Penguins won the cup. In fact, he was their #6 dman.

ES TOI/G

He put up more points than everyone not named Gonchar (who had one more point than he did).

There was a reason why I chose the words 'elite puck moving dman' and not 'elite #1 dman'.

ES TOI/G

Division of labour. Gonchar and Letang were in offensive situations. All the other D had to do was shutdown.

We had something similar in our cup run. Players were put in roles they were able to succeed in.

That's what I'm worried about the GM of my hometown team doing. He has already publicly said that if the right player comes along that he would be willing to tender an offer.

I can see the point of GMs being scared for future transactions and all but I'd rather see offer sheets happen it's fun and exciting from a fan perspective till it hits home and Horvat or Virtanens RFA years come up

We won't have the cap after we re-sign our RFAs.

Unless we move someone who has a bunch of cap and we decide that we are willing to sacrifice picks. We being JB and co.

That I doubt personally.

It's a sort of taboo thing to do. Also, I doubt he wants to lose more draft picks. As other people said, we also won't have much cap space to do so.

Benning stated that they will look at the Rfa'a of other teams. They are meeting this week to formulate a plan for this year. If they find an Rfa who they think can make their team better they will make a hockey trade to get that player. Benning did not say anything about offer sheets.

The first two responses above give two reasons why offers sheets are rare and why actual transactions almost never occur.

To be "successful" the team tendering the offer sheet has to overpay (otherwise the original team would match) AND has to give up draft picks. And it p****s off other GMs. And the Canucks have zero cap room anyway.

Benning has of course been discussing trades involving RFAs but I think it is unlikey much comes of that. As noted above, the Canucks are in a cap crunch and cannot really hire anyone much above the NHL minimum unless they clear some salary. And clearing salary will not be easy given that many teams are in a cap crunch.

Why do people get ticked off when GMs offer sheets?

Because you can lose a player after you've spent time and money developing him.

Also, I doubt the owners (especially the cash strapped ones) like it very much either. The only way that you can try and combat excessive RFA bidding is by raising the cap, but that would only succeed in giving GMs more money to offer players and then they'd be back to square one.

Although I guarantee that when/if McDavid and Eichel become RFAs that they'll both be given offer sheets by other teams. GMs and owners can't help but shoot themselves in the foot when it comes to young superstars.

Considering we've already burned bridges with St Louis, taking a shot at Tarasenko I could get on board with. If it runs his value up for them to match, it essentially hurts them in the long run to match, allowing less cap room. I'm aware of keeping a good relationship with other teams, but when one of them is competition, who cares.

Aren't we missing our 3rd round pick, for this year and next?

Yes.

The 2015-3rd went to Anaheim in the Kesler trade.

The 2016-3rd went to the Islanders in the Pedan trade.

I agree with those that guess Benning will not issue an offer sheet this summer.

1. We don't have the cap space to offer sheet anyone to the point the other team couldn't match.
  2. Benning said last summer he's not a fan of offer sheets and doesn't think they work (forget the exact wording, but that was the sentiment).

That adds up to Benning being very unlikely to offer sheet anyone.

Archived