The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will Benning Offer Sheet Any RFA's After July 1

SabreFan1

love to get hamilton too... but KB wont be going anywhere... thats why i hate the Sbisa signing.. right against the cap for a guy that pretty much cost the canucks the calgary series.. hes worth 1.5 max or let him walk

You're blaming the Calgary loss on Sbisa? I didn't know Sbisa was brought here to score goals

Hamilton is worth a 1st + 2nd + 3rd round pick easily, especially if they're later picks. You'd be silly not to give up anything for a young 20+ minute, 40+ point defenceman who is a giant, can play physically and rack up points in the playoffs too.

Those guys don't come around very often and you build a defence around him. If it weren't such a risky play, I'd go all out for him if I were Benning:

Trade Bieksa for 3rd round pick in 2016. Trade Higgins for 2nd round pick in 2015. Both to any playoff team who want to win soon (St. Louis and Pittsburgh come to mind). That's 6-7M cap space freed up and the picks necessary to snag Dougie Hamilton from Boston.

Give Hamilton something like a 5 year deal, 6.5M per.

Essentially we're trading a 1st round pick in 2016, Bieksa and Higgins for Dougie Hamilton. That's probably a 15-20th overall pick in a slightly above average draft, a very old defenceman who has been on the decline for 3 seasons now and is a 6th defenceman IMO, and Higgins who is a 3rd/4th line winger good for 10-15 goals.

That's a much smaller price to pay than most teams would ask for in a trade straight up.

Hamilton - Tanev

Edler - Clendening

Hamhuis - Corrado

Sbisa - Subban

Suddenly we've got a top 10 defenceman in the NHL and a real future with this defence.

The 2nd and 3rd round draft picks must be your own(not acquired)

We would have to deal with CGY to re-acquire our 2nd(Baertschi) and then swing a deal to get our 3rd back from ANA from the Kesler trade.

love to get hamilton too... but KB wont be going anywhere... thats why i hate the Sbisa signing.. right against the cap for a guy that pretty much cost the canucks the calgary series.. hes worth 1.5 max or let him walk

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Sbisa's extension kick in after this season?

The 2nd and 3rd round draft picks must be your own(not acquired)

We would have to deal with CGY to re-acquire our 2nd(Baertschi) and then swing a deal to get our 3rd back from ANA from the Kesler trade.

you are right that they would have to be our own however seeing as the draft is before free agency you would be looking at 2016 picks. We have 1+2, would only need the 3rd we gave for pedan back.

you are right that they would have to be our own however seeing as the draft is before free agency you would be looking at 2016 picks. We have 1+2, would only need the 3rd we gave for pedan back.

Not to mention the fact that it'll very likely end-up being the Penguins (or the Sabres) who hold our 2016 3rd round pick by the time that draft happens (see spoiler below for details). And given the Pens-Bruins rivalry (and the same goes for Sabres-Bruins pretty much), I don't imagine we'll have too difficult of a time re-acquiring that pick from Pittsburgh (or Buffalo), if it's clear that the pick is going to be used for an offer sheet on Hamilton (and thereby allowing the Pens/Sabres to indirectly stick it to the Bruins).

11/25/2014: Alexander Mallet + 2016 VAN 3 traded to NY Islanders for Andrey Pedan

3/2/2015: Chad Johnson + 2016 VAN 3 to Buffalo for Michal Neuvirth

5/28/2015: 3rd round pick (conditional: the higher of 2016 VAN 3 and 2016 NYI 3) to Pittsburgh for Dan Bylsma (hired by Buffalo while under contract with the Pens)

Pretty good chance Pittsburgh ends up with our 2016 3rd round pick. Otherwise it'll be Buffalo (yet another team with no love for the Boston Bruins). Either way, if we're talking about it leading to a Hamilton offer sheet, I have a feeling we'd have very little difficulty re-acquiring our 2016 3rd, regardless of whether we're dealing with Pittsburgh or Buffalo.

I'm not saying that I think it'll happen (in fact I'd bet heavily against any offer sheet by Benning) but if we did decide to take a run at nabbing Hamilton, reacquiring that previously-traded 2016 3rd round pick just isn't going to be much of an issue IMO.

Id rather him not. Simply because it may tick off other GMs and they might not want to trade with him.

And IMHO Benning seems to be very good at making trades. Clendenning and Baertschi support this. Not much he could of done with kesler. But still think we won that trade.

Sbisa is very under-rated on CDC. Same as Bonino. And then theres McCann

RFA offer sheets are sent out every offseason at least a couple times but we never hear of it because they're not the big name RFA players. And honestly, when July 1 comes and an RFA hasn't been given a qualifying offer or re-signed, it's open season. Yea it may damage the relationship with other GMs but isn't the job of a GM suppose to be finding ways to improve the team in the present and build for the future? I can't see how going after RFA's and sending out offer sheets would hurt the relationship just because the GM is doing his job. You didn't re-sign or qualify your RFA in time before free agency? That's your fault so don't be angry or surprised if a GM wants an RFA that you didn't lock up. After all, the GM is just doing his job.

Archived