The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

ESPN Prospect Skills Lists

For those of you that are heavily into watching Jr. and NCAA hockey, how accurate do you think the lists that ESPN compiled are?

When I see ESPN and hockey in the same sentence, I take what they televise and what they write with a grain of salt.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/nhl-draft/insider/post?id=798

I have it in this section because most of these players will be in the NHL 2 weeks from now.

Not a bad list, but reads like a blog. It's really not much better than the stuff you see posted on CDC.

I like how they've listed categories like physicality and shot, though I feel compete level should be on there as well. I like seeing Boeser pretty high on both physicality and shot, he should be around where we pick.

It's also good they've acknowledged the IQ of Konecny and Crouse.

For those of you that are heavily into watching Jr. and NCAA hockey, how accurate do you think the lists that ESPN compiled are?

When I see ESPN and hockey in the same sentence, I take what they televise and what they write with a grain of salt.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/nhl-draft/insider/post?id=798

I have it in this section because most of these players will be in the NHL 2 weeks from now.

Uh, the NHL season is all but over, and won't be starting up again until September. Even then, the majority of 1st rounders won't play in the NHL right away. Maybe a handful do, but even then I think only the top two do.

Other than that, it's ESPN, and there's plenty of talk about lists and draft order in the draft thread.

Uh, the NHL season is all but over, and won't be starting up again until September. Even then, the majority of 1st rounders won't play in the NHL right away. Maybe a handful do, but even then I think only the top two do.

Other than that, it's ESPN, and there's plenty of talk about lists and draft order in the draft thread.

You know what I meant. I was just trying to head off the other posters who would write "wrong section". <_<

Isn't Konecnys skating supposed to be somewhat of a concern, considering his size? His top speed could definitely be better. Kylington is listed way too low there. 7th? All the scouts are raving about him being one of the best skaters in the draft.

Isn't Konecnys skating supposed to be somewhat of a concern, considering his size? His top speed could definitely be better. Kylington is listed way too low there. 7th? All the scouts are raving about him being one of the best skaters in the draft.

7th place out of 200+ people is an indicator that you are one of the best.

The more I read about Boeser, the more I really like him as an option.... Currently my favorite.

One of the best shots and protects the puck very well... He sounds like hed be a perfect addition to the group. Boeser, Virtanen, Kassian, and Grenier as your right side... Baertschi, Shinkaruk, Gaunce on the left.... Horvat, McCann, Cassels, Gaunce down the middle....

Thats a really nice mix of size, speed, skill, 2 way game.

Malgin being 10th in passing is interesting because he plays for Crawford in Zurich and is projected to go in the later rounds. In fact, I was looking him up because of that connection.

He had a strong U18 where he was named to the all-star team (with another of Crawford's player Siegenthaler who is a stay at home D - limited offence). Malgin is undersized but apparently he did a bone test where he was told that he should normally grow another 2 inches. He is a playmaker with very good vision but he seemed to shy from contact when I watched him at the U20 but overall he still looked really good playing centre alongside Fiala. I guess the question is whether he can indeed grow a bit or at least add muscle to be effective in the NHL.

7th place out of 200+ people is an indicator that you are one of the best.

Yah, 200+ of the best undrafted prospects on the planet. 7 th is nothing to sneeze at

The guy is 1st round material, not some guy that will go in the 4th round. Who cares if he's the 7th best out of 200+ guys when he's a guy that was considered a top10 guy heading into this season. He even got questions at the combine how his skating can be so good. If someone is saying that a guy with his upside is one of the best skaters in the draft, then i don't consider 7th place "one of the best". It's not like it's the only thing he's good at. I stand by my statement, 7th is way too low. Konecny got average top speed for a guy his size, no way is he the 4th best skater.

The guy is 1st round material, not some guy that will go in the 4th round. Who cares if he's the 7th best out of 200+ guys when he's a guy that was considered a top10 guy heading into this season. He even got questions at the combine how his skating can be so good. If someone is saying that a guy with his upside is one of the best skaters in the draft, then i don't consider 7th place "one of the best". It's not like it's the only thing he's good at. I stand by my statement, 7th is way too low. Konecny got average top speed for a guy his size, no way is he the 4th best skater.

It's really not that big of a deal. The last time I checked 7th place was still in the first round; in fact, 7th place is allot higher of a position than he is projected to go at. Who knows how fine of a line separates 7th from 6th or 7th from 1st for that matter, FWIW they may all be equal but they have to be placed somewhere. Considering the players in that group (hannifin, Barzal, Eichel, McDavid), those are some pretty high classed skaters if imo.

That is a tad long winded just to say, "I disagree. 7th isn't good enough". :huh:

You know what I meant. I was just trying to head off the other posters who would write "wrong section". <_<

I understood what you said, but it doesn't make sense logically. A couple of draftees might make the NHL next season so this goes in Around the NHL?

But yeah, I don't usually put much stock in ESPN's opinions on hockey, so I guess it doesn't matter if it's in the draft thread in the junior hockey forum or not.

I understood what you said, but it doesn't make sense logically. A couple of draftees might make the NHL next season so this goes in Around the NHL?

But yeah, I don't usually put much stock in ESPN's opinions on hockey, so I guess it doesn't matter if it's in the draft thread in the junior hockey forum or not.

Basically I tried to sneak one in with a shaky reason that I figured would work, and it did!!! ^_^

Not a chance that I'd complain. I prefer short posts. I hate when people write essays.

Shorter and to the point is better if done well.

Then why the f are you lurking on a forum if you consider a 5 row long post an essay? :lol: I expressed my opinion why i disagreed with the list, hence why i brought up Konecny being too high on the list, and you're b*tching about what exactly? Go argue with the fans of your disgrace of a franchise instead.

Then why the f are you lurking on a forum if you consider a 5 row long post an essay? :lol: I expressed my opinion why i disagreed with the list, hence why i brought up Konecny being too high on the list, and you're b*tching about what exactly? Go argue with the fans of your disgrace of a franchise instead.

I'm not arguing with you little boy. I was making my own comment. Grow up.

*edit* I also wasn't referring to the length of your post when I answered somebody else's post. We were talking about posts in general. It may seem like it now, but I promise everything is not about you and that the Earth revolves around the sun.

*2nd edit* Learn more about the internet before you try and use the vocabulary linked to it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lurker

Archived