The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Red Wings willing to trade Mantha and 1st

RK7Teen

Detroit VP Jim Devellano didn't have much good to say about Mantha this year. Attached article with his quote. Long story short, "Very, very disappointing." The Wings, who have been the gold star organization for drafting and developing don't give up on their prospects too often. Perhaps this isn't something the Canucks should touch.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/red-wings-top-prospect-mantha-very-disappointing-says-detroit-senior-vp-devellano/

"Very, very disappointing and I say that with sadness"

Seems like he is trying to light a fire under his azz as he seems to expect more. I think that short comment coupled with this likely speculative thread may be swaying your opinion prematurely.

It is kinda unsettling though, the Wings giving up on a 20 year old? Doesn't that scare y'all?

Not when they have umpteen Billion NHL prospects who are close to making the team. It's was wonder how Utica was able to beat Grand Rapids

"Very, very disappointing and I say that with sadness"

Seems like he is trying to light a fire under his azz as he seems to expect more. I think that short comment coupled with this likely speculative thread may be swaying your opinion prematurely.

Absolutely not, actually. I've questioned Mantha and guys similar to him for quite a while. Guys who dominate in the QMJHL or junior at all and are beasts (ie. 6'4") make me question if they are actually the real deal, or if they are just putting up good numbers in part because they are men playing against children. I have the same concern with Nick Ritchie. Once they get to the pro level and are tested against faster competition that are also huge, they really get tested because they aren't used to not pushing guys around.

I hope things work out for him, but I would not touch him for what the Wings would likely be asking for in return.

EDIT: And further, the QMJHL is a league full of guys that are not only small as balls, but they don't defend for sh*t in that league. Not saying all guys from the Q should be avoided, because that's asinine. But a player that dominated in the Q playing against guys who are not only terrible defensively, but also 5'7" - 5'9" is something to question. The Wings wouldn't be shopping him unless they knew something about him already. Also, the Wings new head coach was the head coach for the Griffins, so he knows Mantha inside and out and just what kind of player he is and isn't.

Absolutely not, actually. I've questioned Mantha and guys similar to him for quite a while. Guys who dominate in the QMJHL or junior at all and are beasts (ie. 6'4") make me question if they are actually the real deal, or if they are just putting up good numbers in part because they are men playing against children. I have the same concern with Nick Ritchie. Once they get to the pro level and are tested against faster competition that are also huge, they really get tested because they aren't used to not pushing guys around.

I hope things work out for him, but I would not touch him for what the Wings would likely be asking for in return.

EDIT: And further, the QMJHL is a league full of guys that are not only small as balls, but they don't defend for sh*t in that league. Not saying all guys from the Q should be avoided, because that's asinine. But a player that dominated in the Q playing against guys who are not only terrible defensively, but also 5'7" - 5'9" is something to question. The Wings wouldn't be shopping him unless they knew something about him already. Also, the Wings new head coach was the head coach for the Griffins, so he knows Mantha inside and out and just what kind of player he is and isn't.

Monty this thread and source hardly qualifies as a source that Detroit is shopping Mantha. Again .5 ppg numbers in 1st year of poor isn't bad at all.

I think this has maybe a little more to do with how close Detroit actually is to contending for the cup again. They took Tampa to within 1 game of elimination this season. That series was pretty close. The fact they are open to dealing Mantha and their 1st tells me they want a really good player in return.

To be honest, I'm all over us trying to get Mantha.

However, where would we start? They'd probably ask for Bo Horvat which by far is one of our biggest untouchable player.

Monty this thread and source hardly qualifies as a source that Detroit is shopping Mantha. Again .5 ppg numbers in 1st year of poor isn't bad at all.

That's all fine. I wasn't commenting on the Wings shopping him. My comment and subsequent article I posted in my post was in regards to how Mantha is currently being viewed closely within the Detroit organization.

Again, whether the Wings are shopping him or not (which was also brought up on CBC today that they were by Eliott Friedman), the fact that Mantha was seen to have been "Very, very, very disappointing" from a Senior VP within the Wings organization is something to take note of, at the very least.

I love the Wings, love them. And personally, they have a lot of prospects coming up that they are far more sold on than Mantha. If they trade him, I just hope he doesn't go to one of my other favourite teams (ie. Jets, Nucks, Isles), because they'll likely get the short end of the stick in that trade.

"Very,very dissapointing" sure doesn't drive up his trade value wow Jensen and rights to Matthias and 2016 5th is all I'd give up if he's that dissapointing they'd have to take that deal and run.

I know its not happening but that's where gms should value him at now because of those comments

What exactly is Detroit looking for?

They have a severe lack of right handed players, so that should be at the top of their to do list. I originally thought Bieksa++ might do it but now that I think about it, they would probably ask for Tanev and I mean, if we draft Meloche and find a way to pluck Hamilton from Boston I'd be more than willing to do it. I'm just fantasizing here of course but just imagine our forwards if we were somehow able to draft Barzal:

Virtanen - Barzal - Mantha

Baertschi - Horvat - Kassian

Shinkaruk - Bonino - McCann

Gaunce - Cassels - Grenier

I really think that top line could do some serious work if they're developed properly.

They have a severe lack of right handed players, so that should be at the top of their to do list. I originally thought Bieksa++ might do it but now that I think about it, they would probably ask for Tanev and I mean, if we draft Meloche and find a way to pluck Hamilton from Boston I'd be more than willing to do it. I'm just fantasizing here of course but just imagine our forwards if we were somehow able to draft Barzal:

Virtanen - Barzal - Mantha

Baertschi - Horvat - Kassian

Shinkaruk - Bonino - McCann

Gaunce - Cassels - Grenier

I really think that top line could do some serious work if they're developed properly.

Detroit would give up nothing significant like Mantha for a 34 year old D in Bieksa

Archived