The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Red Wings willing to trade Mantha and 1st

RK7Teen

if this team finally admits its going to rebuild, then Edler to Detroit for 1st and Mantha is good. It's fair from both ways, but it would leave us with Tanev, Hamuis, Sbisa,

Again if this team decides they should rebuild then wow a 1st with mantha for Edler is a great way to start a rebuild. It will give this team 2 chances to draft, or better yet grab 2 defence-men in the first round.

Imagine the future, mantha, virtanen, kassian, cassels, horvat

although a pipe dream, the problem lies with the NTCs because Edler won't waive

Add to it $5.5 mill in cap space; presuming Mantha & the 1st start lower ranks than the NHL (likely). Its not likely we can replace Edler for his salary. But we could def get something that helped.

I'd offer Kassian, one of Gaunce or Cassels, and Hamhuis for Mantha and their first.

You always offer up Kassian. Not only that you want to offer up Cassels or Gaunce two of our good young prospects as well as Hamhuis for a kid that was publicly called out by one of the most respected execs in the NHL. Hamhuis for the 19th pick is not good because you could get a 1st and a very good prospect at the trade deadline as contenders would pay a lot for a premier shutdown d like Hamhuis. So now you give up Kassian and either Gaunce who developing great in Utica or Cassels who could become a premier shutdown center for a kid with a big red flag attached to him.

Detroit VP Jim Devellano didn't have much good to say about Mantha this year. Attached article with his quote. Long story short, "Very, very disappointing." The Wings, who have been the gold star organization for drafting and developing don't give up on their prospects too often. Perhaps this isn't something the Canucks should touch.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/red-wings-top-prospect-mantha-very-disappointing-says-detroit-senior-vp-devellano/

It would be a huge risk / reward situation. I'd like to take a chance on Mantha but the smart move would be to stay away.

Anyone know if this red wings executive , Devellano got fired? Why on earth would you ever say something like that about a top prospect to the media?! Hurt the player and his trade value.

It seams insane to me.

haha... yeah Im sure the Wings are itching to trade away Mantha after just 1 pro season... lmao. I do get that they need more dmen in their organization, but those thinking that Bieksa/Kassian/Jensen/Vey are pieces theyd be looking at are so out to lunch.

these trade deals are all the same...first assume that the other gm's are stupid...then we send all the players that we deem not of any use to us anymore, for players we think will give us home runs...in short we always have to win every trade...we have to give equal value in trades....put yourselves in the other teams shoes and ask yourself, what would they want...if someone wanted horvat and our first, what would we want back?

the other teams cast offs?

these trade deals are all the same...first assume that the other gm's are stupid...then we send all the players that we deem not of any use to us anymore, for players we think will give us home runs...in short we always have to win every trade...we have to give equal value in trades....put yourselves in the other teams shoes and ask yourself, what would they want...if someone wanted horvat and our first, what would we want back?the other teams cast offs?

I know, right?

If the Wings are looking for a prospect in return, then people here have to think McCann is the starting point. If defense, then the Wings want nobody, because the Nucks defense is downright embarrassing.

I know, right?

If the Wings are looking for a prospect in return, then people here have to think McCann is the starting point. If defense, then the Wings want nobody, because the Nucks defense is downright embarrassing.

It's shocking how badly people don't get what Det needs.

Mantha?

Well shipping a large RW out means they need another one. Kassian or MAYBE Jensen.... (big maybe)

A 1st? Well they'll want to recoup a comparable first or something similar. McCaan or 2015 1st 23rd overall

Now how to entice them? Well two choices come to mind. They NEED to lose Weiss' contract. So eat that contract by trading them Bieksa. Or trading them a young RHD like Corrado

SO essentially for Mantha 1st it's a starting point of

Mantha 2015 1st (19th)

Kassian (Jensen) McCaan/2015 1st (23rd) and Corrado (Or Bieksa for Weiss)

And sadly...I'd still do it because while Mantha is questionable so was Wheeler for years and I see a lot of Wheeler in Mantha and that 1st should we be able to retain ours is even better.

If the trade off is losing Corrado and McCaan it hurts. But if they can be enticed by taking Bieksa (1 year) for Weiss (3 years) than we're simply stuck with the contract until 2018/2019 at $4.9 million

Now. Let us see some more bargain basement proposals

"Hey Kenny, have you been sniffing glue today?" - JB

"Hey Jimmy, yes I've been huffing all morning! WoooWeee!!" - KH

"Mantha, 2015 1st, for Bieksa, Vey and Jensen? I'll even throw in a case of Elmers!" - JB

"SOLD!" - KH

... Dream on CDC...

Archived